MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
gbil
5/29/2022 12:48am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2022 12:51am
Buttons wrote:
Anyone know what bike this is? It looks like it could be be a the new fuel ex maybe, chainstay looks like ABP and treks pre...
Anyone know what bike this is? It looks like it could be be a the new fuel ex maybe, chainstay looks like ABP and treks pre production frames are usually white. But the seat tube looks like a GT.

Looks more like a new light weight ebike from trek, probably using the new Fazua ride 60 system (based on the fact that they use Fazua already). There are A LOT of interesting bikes coming out with this system for MY23!!
trexyz
5/29/2022 3:14am
Anyone know when the new RockShox line up will be available? I can’t find anything about that in all articles and reviews that are published now.
boozed
5/29/2022 5:19am
trexyz wrote:
Anyone know when the new RockShox line up will be available? I can’t find anything about that in all articles and reviews that are published now.
One of my local dealers has some of the new forks already, but has not listed the new shocks yet.
TimBud
5/29/2022 5:32am
Yep. We've had our pre-orders come in and go out.
TF Tuned in the UK have been showing off their stock on the gram too.
Primoz
5/29/2022 6:30am
I mentioned before that a shop in Slovenia got a Charger 3 (I think a Zeb) a few weeks ago.
pinkrobe
5/29/2022 9:14am
The Canadian distributor has RS 2023 shocks available July 1, but most of the forks don't have an ETA.
5/29/2022 9:58am
gibbon wrote:
They were talking about the white bike I think ;o)
Cable routing and dt kink look very un-Trek like to me too.
remember that most of what we've heard about the new Fuel EX is that it does not look like other Treks...
5/29/2022 10:40am
The Current Fuels are awesome. So lord knows what that means, wont look like other trexs. Very curious.
TimBud
5/29/2022 10:57am
The Current Fuels are awesome. So lord knows what that means, wont look like other trexs. Very curious.
Pinkbike will shit itself if a trek doesn’t look like a trek
gibbon
5/29/2022 12:04pm
Don't think it's Fazua, the BB has to be inline with the motor/battery/gearbox and there looks to be a big elbow to the downtube just before the BB area.
Current Ex is the most anodyne ,magnolia bike I could imagine.
5/29/2022 12:10pm
TimBud wrote:
Pinkbike will shit itself if a trek doesn’t look like a trek
I've had it up to here with PB. Vital is where its at.
5/29/2022 5:49pm
Dave_Camp wrote:
You guys are right- the HBO features on both air and coil make it difficult to change stroke length. The coil especially can get into a...
You guys are right- the HBO features on both air and coil make it difficult to change stroke length.

The coil especially can get into a situation where you have metal-on-metal contact if you took a 57.5 shock and cut the reducers out to make it go to 65 stroke. Basically to have all the shocks get the last 20% of stroke have HBO you need to lengthen internal parts as a 57.5 shock stops 7.5mm further apart than a 65 stroke shock.

If you did the same to the air shock it would have the HBO active for way more than the last 20% of stroke and sag graphics would be off.

Oh wait, really? will parts be available, maybe in a "kit" so its at least possible for a distributor or service centre to change the stroke if nothing else is available? I'm hardly ever able to jump on and order up a shock in the exact stroke I need, so that would be kind of a problem. Stocking all the SKU's previously was bad enough, but at least you had the back up option of adjusting stroke. I don't imagine many places stocking the 4 different strokes in standard eyelet and trunnion eyelet, bearing mounts and damper tunes for each size shock, because times that by 3 or 4 and you have a huuuuuuge list of SKU's!!

I actually overlooked this because its been such a common thing in the metric era, I never thought it would be an issue. That'll teach me Sad
5/29/2022 6:32pm
Buttons wrote:
Anyone know what bike this is? It looks like it could be be a the new fuel ex maybe, chainstay looks like ABP and treks pre...
Anyone know what bike this is? It looks like it could be be a the new fuel ex maybe, chainstay looks like ABP and treks pre production frames are usually white. But the seat tube looks like a GT.

Looks a lot like the Trek I saw out in the wild that will be the new Fuel EX. Trek ABP axle, rocker link tunnel, and the same seat tube/top tube junction.
brash
5/29/2022 7:50pm
Dave_Camp wrote:
You guys are right- the HBO features on both air and coil make it difficult to change stroke length. The coil especially can get into a...
You guys are right- the HBO features on both air and coil make it difficult to change stroke length.

The coil especially can get into a situation where you have metal-on-metal contact if you took a 57.5 shock and cut the reducers out to make it go to 65 stroke. Basically to have all the shocks get the last 20% of stroke have HBO you need to lengthen internal parts as a 57.5 shock stops 7.5mm further apart than a 65 stroke shock.

If you did the same to the air shock it would have the HBO active for way more than the last 20% of stroke and sag graphics would be off.

Oh wait, really? will parts be available, maybe in a "kit" so its at least possible for a distributor or service centre to change the stroke...
Oh wait, really? will parts be available, maybe in a "kit" so its at least possible for a distributor or service centre to change the stroke if nothing else is available? I'm hardly ever able to jump on and order up a shock in the exact stroke I need, so that would be kind of a problem. Stocking all the SKU's previously was bad enough, but at least you had the back up option of adjusting stroke. I don't imagine many places stocking the 4 different strokes in standard eyelet and trunnion eyelet, bearing mounts and damper tunes for each size shock, because times that by 3 or 4 and you have a huuuuuuge list of SKU's!!

I actually overlooked this because its been such a common thing in the metric era, I never thought it would be an issue. That'll teach me Sad
is it the same deal with Push/EXT? or you just start snap off/add a spacer? I mean for the HBO portion. Or is it set specifically to a stroke length?

Primoz
5/29/2022 9:16pm
For the air shock it's the needle length inserted into the damper body that changes (not sure if it's replaceable). For the coil variant it's the upper eyelet body part that changes. So set specifically to a a stroke length.

Regarding different tunes and keeping stock, it should be possible to change those. But then you have the wrong markings for the tune on the shock body as well (might be important in some cases...).
5/29/2022 9:42pm
Dave_Camp wrote:

Oh wait, really? will parts be available, maybe in a "kit" so its at least possible for a distributor or service centre to change the stroke...

brash wrote:
is it the same deal with Push/EXT? or you just start snap off/add a spacer? I mean for the HBO portion. Or is it set specifically...
is it the same deal with Push/EXT? or you just start snap off/add a spacer? I mean for the HBO portion. Or is it set specifically to a stroke length?

Push shocks are built specifically for the intended bike and not just as X stroke, so there are different length HBO cones internally and different spring seats externally. They are chosen to suit the specific leverage rate of each bike so the bump stop progression and HBO engagement gets tuned for the application. So if you compared the shocks built for different bikes with 60mm stroke there can be at least 3 or 4 different configurations of those 2 parts alone. This is changed by a service center at time of sale or during reconfiguration, so while it is only a couple of small parts being changed, it is only ever done while everything else in the shock is being specced too.
33mtb
5/30/2022 9:11am
Carbon nukeproof Dh
pablo_b
5/30/2022 2:08pm
33mtb wrote:
Carbon nukeproof Dh [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2022/05/30/12568/s1200_1D7E9792_57A0_4F21_8B4A_C92036022082.jpg[/img]
Carbon nukeproof Dh
The bar roll on that bike is absolutely disgusting. Just by looking at the picture my elbows are bending inwards.
peecee
5/30/2022 8:29pm
Dakota Norton crashed this weekend and apparently broke his bike so much so that he had to ride the production Intense m29 that he went onto take the win.

Primoz
5/30/2022 10:56pm
Must be confidence inspiring for the bike to shear off the head tube mid run...
krabo83
5/31/2022 12:09am
baronKanon wrote:
Seems the bike broke so he crashed from the pic
that‘s some BS! check his video on IG, he slipped on a pretty fast and rough section… not failure on the bike.
5/31/2022 12:12am
baronKanon wrote:
Seems the bike broke so he crashed from the pic
krabo83 wrote:
that‘s some BS! check his video on IG, he slipped on a pretty fast and rough section… not failure on the bike.
From the picture, which is all I saw. Thanks for the clarification. Do not call BS on "looks like". Smile
Primoz
5/31/2022 12:16am
Where is the rest of the bike in the picture? Directly behind the fork, completely inline with it? Granted, for the rear to fly off you'd need to tear off the derailleur cable and rear brake hose too...
5/31/2022 12:26am
Primoz wrote:
Where is the rest of the bike in the picture? Directly behind the fork, completely inline with it? Granted, for the rear to fly off you'd...
Where is the rest of the bike in the picture? Directly behind the fork, completely inline with it? Granted, for the rear to fly off you'd need to tear off the derailleur cable and rear brake hose too...
Just saw the IG video; it is directly behind the fork.
5/31/2022 12:30am
Primoz wrote:
Where is the rest of the bike in the picture? Directly behind the fork, completely inline with it? Granted, for the rear to fly off you'd...
baronKanon wrote:
Didn’t look like a bike wrecking crash, wonder what was wrong with the frame
gibbon
5/31/2022 1:37am
Primoz wrote:
baronKanon wrote:
Can't be lack of material, on the podcast Dak said it was 42/43lbs!!!
lewzz10
5/31/2022 1:59am
Primoz wrote:
baronKanon wrote:
I'd guess the forks totalled the top tube from the video.
Primoz
5/31/2022 2:37am
baronKanon wrote:
gibbon wrote:
Can't be lack of material, on the podcast Dak said it was 42/43lbs!!!
It's not the amount of material that's the key, it's the shape and placement (i.e. the stress levels in the material).

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest