MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
5/20/2020 8:38pm
watchcwgo wrote:
Vee assegai looks good
I haven't figured out why Vee make a maxxis knock off and then installs the cornering knobs backwards? I always understood part of the reason maxxis tires braked so well was the L shape of the corner knob. But what do I know.
5/22/2020 7:20am
Really love the look of that maxxis, i used to run the medusa back in the day and loved that tire for we weather...similar lines:

5/22/2020 3:21pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2020 3:22pm

I noticed this hack that cathro did to prevent Shimano brake pad rattle, has anyone else ever done this? Marshy maybe? Does anyone have any more examples?
Scrub
5/22/2020 3:40pm
I noticed this hack that cathro did to prevent Shimano brake pad rattle, has anyone else ever done this? Marshy maybe? Does anyone have any more...

I noticed this hack that cathro did to prevent Shimano brake pad rattle, has anyone else ever done this? Marshy maybe? Does anyone have any more examples?
Yeah back in '09 on some Juicy 7's I put some mastic tape on the metal brake caliper clip to stop the rattle. You would think manufacturers would have had an over engineerer solve this issue long ago, unnecessary noise. Whistling
5/22/2020 5:51pm
With all these shimano hacks for the saint calipers, Shouldn't shimano listen and update the already ancient saint groupset? Id totally run a saint 12 speed on my enduro bike if it was bullet proof like the old DH set.
Maxipedia
5/22/2020 11:41pm
With all these shimano hacks for the saint calipers, Shouldn't shimano listen and update the already ancient saint groupset? Id totally run a saint 12 speed...
With all these shimano hacks for the saint calipers, Shouldn't shimano listen and update the already ancient saint groupset? Id totally run a saint 12 speed on my enduro bike if it was bullet proof like the old DH set.
Don't you believe Shimano know this and are already in the works with this since probably a few years now?

No to mention the fact that Saint is already pretty old and still relevant. Shifter and derailleur are okay (it's a DH bike grouppo, you don't shift around that much anyway), Shimano cranks are better than SRAM regardless how you look at them, they are just hassle-free, and the brakes have been a good standard for a small eternity, with the competition catching on in more recent years. But let's not forget what we had before!

I'd like to mention that I like SRAM more than Shimano, as a company, and run a X.0 drivetrain with Saint M820 brakes on my DH bike. Before that was in full SRAM mode and almost killed myself when my fresh bled Codes (the second generation) with just bed-in pads just stopped working simultaneously in a high speed corner of a practice run at a race. I was instantly teleported into a tree and it luckily resulted only in a huge lateral bruise that you more than sure wouldn't like to see.I know SRAM/Avid brakes have come quite a way since then, but I still don't feel too positive about them, due to the above.

Mx
Jrp
5/26/2020 2:23am
Looks like the DVO boys have the new shock ready to ride

vweb
5/28/2020 12:30am
piroloco wrote:
Florian Nicolai and his new RS Fork (ZEB?) [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/05/27/9596/s1200_flyingflo21_27_05_2020.jpg[/img]
Florian Nicolai and his new RS Fork (ZEB?)

In this angle it doesn't appear to be larger stanchions... Burlier crown for sure, but from this point of view, that's it.
5/28/2020 1:18am
If you look at an earlier post from Flyinflo21, you get a closeup of the crown. Looks burlier for sure with larger interface with the stanctions than lyrik (eyeballing it). From the pic above, it also seems that the lowers go a bit below the axle, as the longer insert of the stanctions makes the stanctions go further down. I think this is one step further in the right direction.

Also, when listening to the the Chris Porter interview on Bikeradar podcast, he mentions that one drawback of current forks is that the bushings are fixed in the outers, whereas on motor sports forks, there is one on the stanction as well which increases the bushing distance when you are far into the travel, meaing that when there is a lot of force on the fork, the bushings keep things better in place and lessens bushing binding. I think this may hint something about the EXT Era fork, which I bet he have had something to say about with Mojo Risin's close collaboration with EXT. CRConception already have floating bushings on their upside down forks (cannot embed photo, follow the link). http://www.crconception.com/FORE-SC/
Primoz
5/28/2020 1:53am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2020 1:56am
I actually deal a bit with similar (albeit much smaller) bushings at work. While there are external bushings available on the market, they are few and far inbetween. With a hole, reamed to the correct size, you can achieve quite good tolerances on the final bushing hole by squeezing it together, closed and reaching the desired diameter, all the while having a snug press fit. With an external bushing you'd have to have a gap in it and make it larger in order to have a snug fit, where it wouldn't move. And there's your problem then, you have a gap. Unless you control that gap by placing it on the side (along the wheel axis), you're going to have a bad time.

I'd really like to see how this MX bushings are dealt with, but yeah, can't be easy to make them fit.

Plus, if you have a sliding surface for an internal bushing (at the top of the lowers) and then another external bushing fitted to it at the end, how do you pull the fork apart? With a dismantable fork (upside down and a removable axle nut/mount, for example) you could pull it out from the top. There are other solutions of course (removing it together with the leg), but then there's a question of assemblybility, can the process be good in mass production, how finnicky is it to service, etc. At the end of the day what we have works reasonably well or well enough for most people not to give a damn. And those people won't pay x2 or x3 the price for a fork to get a marginal gain. And until DH isn't running custom products along these lines, I don't think it can be called 'the F1 of MTB'. Everything is too close to stock to be F1.

5/28/2020 2:02am
Primoz wrote:
I actually deal a bit with similar (albeit much smaller) bushings at work. While there are external bushings available on the market, they are few and...
I actually deal a bit with similar (albeit much smaller) bushings at work. While there are external bushings available on the market, they are few and far inbetween. With a hole, reamed to the correct size, you can achieve quite good tolerances on the final bushing hole by squeezing it together, closed and reaching the desired diameter, all the while having a snug press fit. With an external bushing you'd have to have a gap in it and make it larger in order to have a snug fit, where it wouldn't move. And there's your problem then, you have a gap. Unless you control that gap by placing it on the side (along the wheel axis), you're going to have a bad time.

I'd really like to see how this MX bushings are dealt with, but yeah, can't be easy to make them fit.

Plus, if you have a sliding surface for an internal bushing (at the top of the lowers) and then another external bushing fitted to it at the end, how do you pull the fork apart? With a dismantable fork (upside down and a removable axle nut/mount, for example) you could pull it out from the top. There are other solutions of course (removing it together with the leg), but then there's a question of assemblybility, can the process be good in mass production, how finnicky is it to service, etc. At the end of the day what we have works reasonably well or well enough for most people not to give a damn. And those people won't pay x2 or x3 the price for a fork to get a marginal gain. And until DH isn't running custom products along these lines, I don't think it can be called 'the F1 of MTB'. Everything is too close to stock to be F1.

This I think requires high precision machined outer tubes, which is not that feasible on the cast magnesium lowers everybody use. Also it would require a removable sleeve to get the floating bushing out. The Reverb works like that. One inner and one outer, where the outer bushing is in the big nut sleeve on the top of the outer and the other is on the inner tube. Hands up everybody who have destroyed the inner bushing trying to install after a service on the Reverb? Smile
Primoz
5/28/2020 2:31am
Yeah, I forgot that part as well, thanks for reminding me. As for reverb servicing I'm 1 for 1 in the success camp, no destroyed bushings.
David9180
5/28/2020 3:59am
piroloco wrote:
Florian Nicolai and his new RS Fork (ZEB?) [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/05/27/9596/s1200_flyingflo21_27_05_2020.jpg[/img]
Florian Nicolai and his new RS Fork (ZEB?)

vweb wrote:
In this angle it doesn't appear to be larger stanchions... Burlier crown for sure, but from this point of view, that's it.
Sam Hill´s bike

brash
5/29/2020 7:06pm
I should have held out if that's a 150/160 29'er high idle. But this META AM29 is absolutely sick and the frame was dirt cheap. Very impressed with the croissant mobile.
shreda
5/30/2020 12:13am
mitch160 wrote:
New Forbidden Bike being released next week [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/05/29/9601/s1200_100785969_573193463334474_1029622955304809788_n_Moment_2.jpg[/img]
New Forbidden Bike being released next week
Same bike, new colors is my guess
5/30/2020 6:12am
shreda wrote:
I think Lewis Buchanan was hinting at a longer travel bike which would make sense. It seems weird to run a 130mm travel bike for the ews.
Mandingo915
5/30/2020 8:01am
shreda wrote:
nathan999x wrote:
I think Lewis Buchanan was hinting at a longer travel bike which would make sense. It seems weird to run a 130mm travel bike for the...
I think Lewis Buchanan was hinting at a longer travel bike which would make sense. It seems weird to run a 130mm travel bike for the ews.
You’re both probably right. Probably same bike new linkage to increase travel
5/30/2020 10:34am
shreda wrote:
nathan999x wrote:
I think Lewis Buchanan was hinting at a longer travel bike which would make sense. It seems weird to run a 130mm travel bike for the...
You’re both probably right. Probably same bike new linkage to increase travel
I really hope its a new link and colors, only thing I wished my druid had is 10-20mm more travel.
Primoz
5/30/2020 10:35am
They have been testing new links for a while now if I'm not mistaken.
Primoz
6/2/2020 1:38pm
Higer pivot location and a direct mount 200 mm PM interface?
peecee
6/4/2020 7:10pm
I wonder what shock Jordi is hiding ?

Primoz
6/4/2020 9:45pm
New DPX2 style shock? Or an update.
Jrp
6/6/2020 2:44am
My money is on that fox don’t make the 190 x 45 spec coil and he uses the 7.5 x 2 which changes it from 120 to 128mm and either fox or Santa Cruz got bombed with questions about it which they either don’t want to answer or can’t recommend to punters
6/6/2020 9:41am
Jrp wrote:
My money is on that fox don’t make the 190 x 45 spec coil and he uses the 7.5 x 2 which changes it from 120...
My money is on that fox don’t make the 190 x 45 spec coil and he uses the 7.5 x 2 which changes it from 120 to 128mm and either fox or Santa Cruz got bombed with questions about it which they either don’t want to answer or can’t recommend to punters
He said in a previous dialed video that it is a custom made shock for the tall boy.

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest