MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
5/12/2022 2:05pm
Primoz wrote:
Correct. Think a bit more rearwards than the BB :P Two caveats - the current 6-link Supreme was also covered in the front during development. So...
Correct. Think a bit more rearwards than the BB Tongue

Two caveats - the current 6-link Supreme was also covered in the front during development. So this might be same but different (so 6-bar). On the other had a 6-bar linkage also has separate chainstay and seatstay elements, so the pivot back there still applies.

EDIT: looking at the pictures on the computer, zooming in a bit, I wanna say I see a line around the rear dropout, pointing at separate parts for the two stays, meaning concentric pivot. The shock is still horizontal and under the top tube. There isn't much to see around the BB so no idea what they are hiding...

I vote a generally similar layout to what they have, but a split pivot design, making it a 4-bar suspension design braking-wise.
Seems like a concentric axle pivot to me, although if the rest of their linkage doesn't chance from current Meta models then the anti-rise will be very similar to the single pivot design, but with a flat or increasing curve rather than decreasing.
Loche
5/12/2022 4:50pm
Primoz wrote:
Correct. Think a bit more rearwards than the BB :P Two caveats - the current 6-link Supreme was also covered in the front during development. So...
Correct. Think a bit more rearwards than the BB Tongue

Two caveats - the current 6-link Supreme was also covered in the front during development. So this might be same but different (so 6-bar). On the other had a 6-bar linkage also has separate chainstay and seatstay elements, so the pivot back there still applies.

EDIT: looking at the pictures on the computer, zooming in a bit, I wanna say I see a line around the rear dropout, pointing at separate parts for the two stays, meaning concentric pivot. The shock is still horizontal and under the top tube. There isn't much to see around the BB so no idea what they are hiding...

I vote a generally similar layout to what they have, but a split pivot design, making it a 4-bar suspension design braking-wise.
Seems like a concentric axle pivot to me, although if the rest of their linkage doesn't chance from current Meta models then the anti-rise will be...
Seems like a concentric axle pivot to me, although if the rest of their linkage doesn't chance from current Meta models then the anti-rise will be very similar to the single pivot design, but with a flat or increasing curve rather than decreasing.
Their 2018-2020 Clash was a split-pivot design, so it's possible.
5/13/2022 12:17am
At first i thought this mysterious Commencal is high-pivot. But it’s not. Possible virtual pivot a la Giant? Looks like not. Split Pivot? Possible - would be ok to have a split-pivot Meta. Smile
thomas1965
5/13/2022 7:53pm
RS new product launch is the 26th. New Zebs, Lyriks, Pikes, Super Deluxe air and coil.
somebody's breaking NDA... can't wait for charger 2.2
Primoz
5/14/2022 2:37am
Oh the irony of PB having the Behind the numbers series of articles, doing a deep dive into suspension geometries, then continually calling 4-bar bikes 6-bar...
sspomer
5/14/2022 7:56am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2022 8:05am
on mick hannah's yeti 160e at missouri big mountain enduro. raw coming in a bit.

sspomer
5/14/2022 8:02am
with this stuff on downtube (data acq assumed)

5/14/2022 8:08am
Does anybody know if there is a new Scott ransom and genius on the way and if so do they also come with the integrated shock?

side question: is there a place where people could share their ideas on suspension kinematics and where they could share the kinematics of different bikes? I would like to know the leverage curve, axle path, and anti rise of the Atherton a150.
Primoz
5/14/2022 8:12am
Start a thread about it Tongue

New Scott stuff, I think it was said in this thread that that is a yes to both, both a new one coming and having an integrated shock. At least for the genius, not sure about the Ransom (I think it holds true for the Ransom too).

About Mick, electronic shifting incoming? I wonder where the wire is going (looks to disappear under the grip). Any info about the boxes on the downtube? Just data acquisition stuff or something else besides it too?
gibbon
5/14/2022 1:00pm
jasperg21 wrote:
Does anybody know if there is a new Scott ransom and genius on the way and if so do they also come with the integrated shock...
Does anybody know if there is a new Scott ransom and genius on the way and if so do they also come with the integrated shock?

side question: is there a place where people could share their ideas on suspension kinematics and where they could share the kinematics of different bikes? I would like to know the leverage curve, axle path, and anti rise of the Atherton a150.
https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/
The DW6 might be difficult to model (short links) and difficult to accuately see pivot locations in photos.
5/14/2022 3:56pm
Primoz wrote:
Start a thread about it :P New Scott stuff, I think it was said in this thread that that is a yes to both, both a...

New Scott stuff, I think it was said in this thread that that is a yes to both, both a new one coming and having an integrated shock. At least for the genius, not sure about the Ransom (I think it holds true for the Ransom too).

About Mick, electronic shifting incoming? I wonder where the wire is going (looks to disappear under the grip). Any info about the boxes on the downtube? Just data acquisition stuff or something else besides it too?
My scott dealer said both bikes are coming soon, both with integrated shocks, They are just finishing off ruining the suspension and adding their own "performance" bits via a special lever on the handle bar lol.
boozed
5/14/2022 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2022 5:22pm
jasperg21 wrote:
Does anybody know if there is a new Scott ransom and genius on the way and if so do they also come with the integrated shock...

gibbon wrote:
https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/
The DW6 might be difficult to model (short links) and difficult to accuately see pivot locations in photos.
I'm not sure of the accuracy but he had a look at the Atherton's predecessor here.
5/14/2022 7:08pm
Heard from a friend of a friend that the next Sight will have a high-pivot option. Taking it with a grain of salt of course, but interesting if true.
Primoz
5/15/2022 12:05am
Option? How does that work?
boozed
5/15/2022 1:49am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2022 1:57am
Primoz wrote:
Start a thread about it :P New Scott stuff, I think it was said in this thread that that is a yes to both, both a...

My scott dealer said both bikes are coming soon, both with integrated shocks, They are just finishing off ruining the suspension and adding their own "performance"...
My scott dealer said both bikes are coming soon, both with integrated shocks, They are just finishing off ruining the suspension and adding their own "performance" bits via a special lever on the handle bar lol.
The cavity large enough to fit a piggyback/coil shock on the Ransom is going to look a bit funky.

They are going to allow you to mount piggyback and coil shocks on the Ransom... right? Right?

5/15/2022 2:58am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2022 3:08am
boozed wrote:
The cavity large enough to fit a piggyback/coil shock on the Ransom is going to look a bit funky. They are going to allow you to...
The cavity large enough to fit a piggyback/coil shock on the Ransom is going to look a bit funky.

They are going to allow you to mount piggyback and coil shocks on the Ransom... right? Right?

From what i was told the shock is going to be more in the downtube than the seattube(where the new bold spark is)
So i would expect piggyback and coil capable otherwise these days youll get hammerd by the Reviewers and will greatly reduce your market.
The current Bold 150 has the Nude variant shock mounted horizontally with a Bottom bracket Rotating link.

Honestly, ive ridden the current Gen Genius and Ransom - both in the Tuned Version and they feel like an XC bike both up and down. They dont ride like you'd expect them to.

I've already got my name down for a 2023 ransom Frame if i can otherwise ill have to buy the base model an give everything the flick... just to get the frame.(will consider Changing to genius if they bump the travel to 160 in the front and its got modern AM Bike geo.)

mfoga
5/15/2022 7:14am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2022 7:16am
I would hope they don’t go that route on the Ransom. It was bad enough that they current design made it hard to make adjustments if you ran a non stock shock. Putting it in the tube would be next level bad. I am not sure it great for the genius either but I can less people wanting to change the shock on that vs the Ransom. Also using the current vertical shock in tube would kill the ability to run a long dropper.

It made sense on the spark, allowing two bottles for XC , marathon DC type bike.
5/15/2022 8:08am
I don't get the point and appeal of putting a shock in a tube. Adjustments are more difficult, service, installation/removal is more difficult. To my eyes they look wonky and stupid. Is it different just to be different? Its as bad as running cables through the headset..
5/15/2022 8:32am
I don't get the point and appeal of putting a shock in a tube. Adjustments are more difficult, service, installation/removal is more difficult. To my eyes...
I don't get the point and appeal of putting a shock in a tube. Adjustments are more difficult, service, installation/removal is more difficult. To my eyes they look wonky and stupid. Is it different just to be different? Its as bad as running cables through the headset..
Having it inside keeps it away from dirt, gnar, rain, snow and all the other stuff the world can throw at it and make it need service sooner. Smile
5/15/2022 10:25am
Primoz wrote:
Guessing here, but I think it should be quite a bit lower as the seatstay will still rotate a lot less than the chainstay. Depends a...
Guessing here, but I think it should be quite a bit lower as the seatstay will still rotate a lot less than the chainstay. Depends a bit on the layout of the rocker link of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4oySS3ZMD8
Is vpp like a commencal clash kids 2022
Primoz
5/15/2022 12:04pm
"Honestly, ive ridden the current Gen Genius and Ransom - both in the Tuned Version and they feel like an XC bike both up and down. They dont ride like you'd expect them to."

Meaning good on the way up, bad on the way down? Tongue
Your want of th frame makes it a bit dubious what you're trying to say with the XC bike going down to be honest.

"Having it inside keeps it away from dirt, gnar, rain, snow and all the other stuff the world can throw at it and make it need service sooner. smile"

Shocks tend to need service from their insides themselves as well... I've seen a few Super Deluxes with air in the damping chamber, there were cases with shocks having a fairly dark oil in the damper fairly quickly too, etc.

"Is vpp like a commencal clash kids 2022"
Which Commencal is a VPP?
5/15/2022 4:32pm
I don't get the point and appeal of putting a shock in a tube. Adjustments are more difficult, service, installation/removal is more difficult. To my eyes...
Having it inside keeps it away from dirt, gnar, rain, snow and all the other stuff the world can throw at it and make it need...
Having it inside keeps it away from dirt, gnar, rain, snow and all the other stuff the world can throw at it and make it need service sooner. Smile
Shouldn’t matter if your seals are good and you stay on top of maintenance

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest