MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
grinch
4/25/2020 7:55pm
Im sure theyll be the dh tire to get but man theyre slow getting stuff to market. Its paknful. How long have they been developing these? 3 years? They need a 2.6 rockr 2 as well. They dont really listen to their market. Their theme is to have a bunch of great tires, all with limited width and casing options despite having the best rubber and casings.
Pedal4life
4/25/2020 9:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2020 9:21pm
Speaking of changing things around & new standards, I recall reading something from one of the trade shows about one of the E-Bike manufactures asking I think it was Suntour to make a fork with larger bearing area like a 1 5/8” or 1 3/4” Not sure if there was any change to the upper bearing size might have been for a Bulls this would change things massively for a single crown fork
grinch
4/25/2020 10:10pm
Pedal4life wrote:
Speaking of changing things around & new standards, I recall reading something from one of the trade shows about one of the E-Bike manufactures asking I...
Speaking of changing things around & new standards, I recall reading something from one of the trade shows about one of the E-Bike manufactures asking I think it was Suntour to make a fork with larger bearing area like a 1 5/8” or 1 3/4” Not sure if there was any change to the upper bearing size might have been for a Bulls this would change things massively for a single crown fork
I think cube have an emtb with a 1.5 top and bottom headtube(like an old sc nomad). I used to have a 1.5 steerer on my old banshee rune as well. Id prefer a ttiple clamp for the usage id use an emtb or even my enduro bike, especially the emtb. I guess the weight difference would be over 1lb though
Big Bird
4/25/2020 10:50pm
Pedal4life wrote:
Speaking of changing things around & new standards, I recall reading something from one of the trade shows about one of the E-Bike manufactures asking I...
There has been talk of a new larger standard for ebikes. I misremember the exact number, but bigger for less creaking, and less scary than double triple moto clamps.
sspomer
4/26/2020 3:20pm
has this made the rounds here yet? 2015, so not 2020, but freaking rad

LLLLL
4/26/2020 4:14pm
sspomer wrote:
has this made the rounds here yet? 2015, so not 2020, but freaking rad [embed][/embed]

Remember it when it was shiny ... I’ve been watching his dads YouTube channel last few weeks. Unbelievable skills.
https://youtu.be/uK0xFOJT-Ts
Big Bird
4/26/2020 9:44pm
I hope he's on the good side. Because he'd make a great evil mastermind.
LLLLL
4/27/2020 12:50am
Big Bird wrote:
I hope he's on the good side. Because he'd make a great evil mastermind.
After watching his video on his lawn mower, definitely good 😁
vweb
4/28/2020 8:10am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2020 8:15am
I call on a refined Nukeproof Mega for Y2k21.

EDIT : screenshot doesn't load, don't know why.
Basically, Kelan Grant is on a Chain Reaction's Instagram takeover today ans someone asked him if by any chance the team could be ride on a Reactor during EWS.
Answer : "100% sure"

Primoz
4/28/2020 8:38am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2020 8:39am
Is the Santa Cruz mullet thing a rider size thing? I'm thinking more and more of this could be seen in the future, I'm actually not going to say a factory mullet bike won't happen anytime soon, quite the opposite. With the things going, if you look at norco with 27 and 29 models of the Sight, I think it would make sense to make S to L mullet and M to XL 29er. Ideally with the option to use both wheel sizes in the overlapping sizes.

EDIT: funny thing, Loris' bike has the old X2 shock Smile
shreda
4/28/2020 10:20am
Quite interesting to see them on old dampers in the forks. Still on a RC2 and not even Grip 2 damper??
krabo83
4/28/2020 12:28pm
shreda wrote:
Quite interesting to see them on old dampers in the forks. Still on a RC2 and not even Grip 2 damper??
yeah, all V10s have the old fox forks and loris even the old DHX2. i think they put on these bikes what was laying around just to get the pictures taken :D
brash
4/28/2020 2:04pm
Primoz wrote:
Is the Santa Cruz mullet thing a rider size thing? I'm thinking more and more of this could be seen in the future, I'm actually not...
Is the Santa Cruz mullet thing a rider size thing? I'm thinking more and more of this could be seen in the future, I'm actually not going to say a factory mullet bike won't happen anytime soon, quite the opposite. With the things going, if you look at norco with 27 and 29 models of the Sight, I think it would make sense to make S to L mullet and M to XL 29er. Ideally with the option to use both wheel sizes in the overlapping sizes.

Thing is Loris and Luca aint exactly midgets. I met the Syndicate when they were in Aus. 2 things I observed were these guys aint short, and holy shit greg and peaty are tall AF, I'm 6'1 too and they dwarfed me. Lovely dudes.
Primoz
4/28/2020 2:16pm
Yeah, Greg is 193 and peaty 196 cm? So 6 4 to 6 6 roughly.

That's the thing, if even 180+ cm riders have issues, that doesn't bode that well for 29ers in general. I had a few butt buzzes when I got my 29er int he first few rides (no problems since) and I'm 190/6 3.
peecee
4/28/2020 4:10pm
Primoz wrote:
Is the Santa Cruz mullet thing a rider size thing? I'm thinking more and more of this could be seen in the future, I'm actually not...

Maybe he prefers the old shock, but this isn't a surprise Troy and the Canyon team were using the old vivid for almost a year after the Super Deluxe came out, im guessing due to sizing but seems funny that Rockshox couldnt make a correct size super deluxe for team riders.
But its not like the guys on the circuit have the same going on inside their shocks as we do even thou its an old body the valving and other bits are prob quite different to what Joe public can get.
Primoz
4/28/2020 4:17pm
TyranT21 wrote:
Effigear to start using Pinion frame mount [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/04/28/9486/s1200_Effigear.jpg[/img]
Effigear to start using Pinion frame mount

How will the work with effigear needing a concentric pivot to the output gear, a taught chain/belt and no freehub on the rear wheel? A new gearbox design in the making as well?
Primoz
4/28/2020 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2020 4:21pm
Primoz wrote:

peecee wrote:
Maybe he prefers the old shock, but this isn't a surprise Troy and the Canyon team were using the old vivid for almost a year after...
Maybe he prefers the old shock, but this isn't a surprise Troy and the Canyon team were using the old vivid for almost a year after the Super Deluxe came out, im guessing due to sizing but seems funny that Rockshox couldnt make a correct size super deluxe for team riders.
But its not like the guys on the circuit have the same going on inside their shocks as we do even thou its an old body the valving and other bits are prob quite different to what Joe public can get.
He has been running it with a custom link now. It's not the ETE and stroke that's the issue, it's the general shape of it. The piggyback has to be in front, but they couldn't mount the super deluxe that way due to the air can being in the way. That's why they moved it further back.

It's not that they needed a different shock. They needed a different frame 😂

The Intense enduro team also ran Monarch shocks Well after the Super Deluxe came out.
stoic_machine
4/28/2020 4:27pm
For 2021 Trek will be releasing a longer travel Slash, she's going 160/170 and this is probably why Trek has the new Zeb fork on Florins bike as it wouldn't have surprised me to see him riding a prototype before the end of the year if we were to have a race season.

Also for 2021 the Remedy will be available in both wheel sizes and as far as I understand no travel change for that platform.
4/28/2020 8:05pm
For 2021 Trek will be releasing a longer travel Slash, she's going 160/170 and this is probably why Trek has the new Zeb fork on Florins...
For 2021 Trek will be releasing a longer travel Slash, she's going 160/170 and this is probably why Trek has the new Zeb fork on Florins bike as it wouldn't have surprised me to see him riding a prototype before the end of the year if we were to have a race season.

Also for 2021 the Remedy will be available in both wheel sizes and as far as I understand no travel change for that platform.
Not suprised in the slightest. I wonder how one would run in hi position with a mullet setup. I've decided I just don't get along with long travel 29ers but Trek's M/L sizing fits me really well.
LLLLL
4/29/2020 2:09am
TyranT21 wrote:
Effigear to start using Pinion frame mount [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2020/04/28/9486/s1200_Effigear.jpg[/img]
Effigear to start using Pinion frame mount

Primoz wrote:
How will the work with effigear needing a concentric pivot to the output gear, a taught chain/belt and no freehub on the rear wheel? A new...
How will the work with effigear needing a concentric pivot to the output gear, a taught chain/belt and no freehub on the rear wheel? A new gearbox design in the making as well?
Looks to only have 2 axles vs there old 3
Primoz
4/29/2020 2:34am
Yeah, same as Pinion, the output is now concentric.

For high pivot bikes this is a negative, their old design was better. But it was also clunky...
LLLLL
4/29/2020 4:55am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2020 9:08am
sspomer wrote:
has this made the rounds here yet? 2015, so not 2020, but freaking rad [embed][/embed]

Allen is dropping a video on his YouTube channel in two hours ...
https://youtu.be/iUak9sqJmnM
stoic_machine
4/29/2020 6:02am
Not suprised in the slightest. I wonder how one would run in hi position with a mullet setup. I've decided I just don't get along with...
Not suprised in the slightest. I wonder how one would run in hi position with a mullet setup. I've decided I just don't get along with long travel 29ers but Trek's M/L sizing fits me really well.
I bet the new 27.5 remedy in low position with a 150mm 29er fork up front would work just fine. Run a 46mm offset apposed to the 42 or 51 and I'd say you would be ready to rock.
Dave_Camp
4/29/2020 6:24am
peecee wrote:
Maybe he prefers the old shock, but this isn't a surprise Troy and the Canyon team were using the old vivid for almost a year after...
You'd be surprised... 99.9% of racers on the circuit have normal stuff in their shocks. Maybe custom shim stacks and always good maintenance.

That's it.
dlxah
4/29/2020 8:54am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2020 8:55am
Primoz wrote:
Yeah, same as Pinion, the output is now concentric. For high pivot bikes this is a negative, their old design was better. But it was also...
Yeah, same as Pinion, the output is now concentric.

For high pivot bikes this is a negative, their old design was better. But it was also clunky...
I don't know much about the differences between Pinion and Effigear, but I always wondered why so many gearbox mountain bikes seem to be going with Pinion. The high pivot Effigear design seems superior to me. But even a lot of the high pivot designs choose a Pinion with an idler over an Effigear with an offset output shaft. There must be some drawbacks I'm not aware of?
hairyyy
4/29/2020 12:39pm
They are just called 40s now in both sizes. Makes sense, they've never called their forks after a wheel size and the current crop are all named after stanchion diameter.
rockchomper
4/29/2020 2:34pm
sspomer wrote:

This is awesome, I wonder what the geometry is? Also how in the world have we not all gone to gearbox bikes yet?!?!

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest