MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
11/7/2021 9:55am
rumour has it (on pb forums) that the new megatower is gonna be mullet
Angu58 wrote:
Nope. Full 29.
Source - worked at SC dealer this summer.
SC HT with SWATish box??
btmwehttam
11/8/2021 1:13am
Zerode have a new DH bike coming, High Pivot and apparently similar to the Commencal Supreme (not too sure if it's similar to the production or prototype bike.) Should be ready for production in the New Zealand/Southern Hemispheres 22/23 season
Zero Cool
11/8/2021 4:57am
daveg75 wrote:
After the uproar at the cost of the new Reserve valves, there are already cheaper versions out there.

https://76projects.com/products/hi-flow-no-clog-tubeless-valves?variant…
Both claim ‘x’ times better flow rate than a Presta valve (x4 here) but what is the flow rate of a Schrader valve compared to these or a Presta? They seem to be a solution to a problem that has already been solved.
Karabuka
11/8/2021 5:20am
Zero Cool wrote:
Both claim ‘x’ times better flow rate than a Presta valve (x4 here) but what is the flow rate of a Schrader valve compared to these...
Both claim ‘x’ times better flow rate than a Presta valve (x4 here) but what is the flow rate of a Schrader valve compared to these or a Presta? They seem to be a solution to a problem that has already been solved.
Schrader also gets filled by the sealant... I've used it for years in ghetto tubeless setup on my 26" bike back in the days and after some time the flow rate was close to zero Laughing
11/8/2021 6:33am
Maybe the ultimate solution is this poppet design in a schrader sized valve.. With some many rims going wider, why do we stay with the presta valve? There is now plenty of rim material to allow for a little bit of a bigger hole...
literally
11/8/2021 8:05am
Maybe the ultimate solution is this poppet design in a schrader sized valve.. With some many rims going wider, why do we stay with the presta...
Maybe the ultimate solution is this poppet design in a schrader sized valve.. With some many rims going wider, why do we stay with the presta valve? There is now plenty of rim material to allow for a little bit of a bigger hole...
there was plenty of rim material 20+ years ago when rim makers used schrader sized holes with grommets for presta valves on 20mm internal width rims.
yzedf
11/8/2021 8:23am
Maybe the ultimate solution is this poppet design in a schrader sized valve.. With some many rims going wider, why do we stay with the presta...
Smaller hole in the rim means a stronger wheel. You lose air from the tire when you disconnect the pump unless it’s screw on head like we use for suspension. Have to use valve cover so the void doesn’t fill with mud/sand or whatever. As for the inner core you are talking 5V1 and 5V2 threads, same diameter just different pitch.
WillyWonka
11/8/2021 9:30am
haen wrote:
Looks like I was right about the frame being bolted together. #validated #internetdetectivepoints Jokes aside, some interesting construction methods going on there. Don't have time to...
Looks like I was right about the frame being bolted together. #validated #internetdetectivepoints

Jokes aside, some interesting construction methods going on there. Don't have time to watch the video ATM but I am curious to know why they went that route and how it compares to other companies who have tried similar framebuilding techniques (e.g. Pole).
In their videos & Instagram, they have said that the CNC is just a prototype or "test mule" as they call it, and the production will all be carbon, but it was easier to machine a test and use those dropouts for wheel testing.

Also looks like they have links from Cascade on the proto, not sure if production will be made by Cascade...
Primoz
11/8/2021 12:31pm
Regarding schrader valves, has anyone seen an inner tube with a threaded ring when it comes to schrader valves? Not an issue for tubeless valves (though having a flange and sealing it in the rim valley might also be an issue with a larger diameter), but when it comes to filling up tubes, that's a pain in the ass compared to the presta with the ring - it's easy to press on the pump (head) on the presta while the schrader tends to fall into the rim. Even more so, if the tube is slightly inflated, so you can't support it from the tread side.

I really don't see how schrader valves are superior to presta valves. Except for being able to pump them on a gas station.
pinkrobe
11/8/2021 12:36pm
Primoz wrote:
Regarding schrader valves, has anyone seen an inner tube with a threaded ring when it comes to schrader valves? Not an issue for tubeless valves (though...
Regarding schrader valves, has anyone seen an inner tube with a threaded ring when it comes to schrader valves? Not an issue for tubeless valves (though having a flange and sealing it in the rim valley might also be an issue with a larger diameter), but when it comes to filling up tubes, that's a pain in the ass compared to the presta with the ring - it's easy to press on the pump (head) on the presta while the schrader tends to fall into the rim. Even more so, if the tube is slightly inflated, so you can't support it from the tread side.

I really don't see how schrader valves are superior to presta valves. Except for being able to pump them on a gas station.
A fair number of Specialized's "comfort" bikes have Schraeder valves that are fully threaded and have a small ring that screws down to the rim. I imagine they do it for the exact reason you specify - the valve gets pushed into the rim when you try to inflate the tube.
11/8/2021 12:51pm
Primoz wrote:
Regarding schrader valves, has anyone seen an inner tube with a threaded ring when it comes to schrader valves? Not an issue for tubeless valves (though...

Yes.. And Stan's even offers tubeless Schrader valves..

Uncle Cliffy
11/8/2021 3:08pm
Primoz wrote:

pinkrobe wrote:
A fair number of Specialized's "comfort" bikes have Schraeder valves that are fully threaded and have a small ring that screws down to the rim. I...
A fair number of Specialized's "comfort" bikes have Schraeder valves that are fully threaded and have a small ring that screws down to the rim. I imagine they do it for the exact reason you specify - the valve gets pushed into the rim when you try to inflate the tube.
Sounds like they have some new-old stock of IRC downhill tubes.
literally
11/8/2021 4:09pm
Yes.. And Stan's even offers tubeless Schrader valves..

many companies do. they've been around forever but never really caught on with MTB's.
TheArbez
11/8/2021 10:46pm
Primoz wrote:

I think all the Specialized schrader tubes are coming with the lockring now too. Very handy
lewzz10
11/9/2021 4:14am
Primoz wrote:

TheArbez wrote:
I think all the Specialized schrader tubes are coming with the lockring now too. Very handy
In my experience fully threaded schrader valves on tubes are very common.
11/9/2021 6:33am
Fgibbo wrote:
Anyone heard anymore news on 7 spd axs
It's not happening.
what makes you so sure?
Maybe the almost negative market demand considering no one buys DH bikes anymore and most of those who do are thrashing the budget spec models at bike parks?
11/9/2021 7:23am
It's not happening.
what makes you so sure?
Maybe the almost negative market demand considering no one buys DH bikes anymore and most of those who do are thrashing the budget spec models at...
Maybe the almost negative market demand considering no one buys DH bikes anymore and most of those who do are thrashing the budget spec models at bike parks?
Yeah I understand the low market demand. I was more asking about the matter of fact tone of ‘it’s not happening’, I wondered if they had insider knowledge.

It’s true dh bike sales are low but I still think if a dh gx axs group was released there would still be the few buying it who absolutely must have the best kit. Which, going by the internetz, is still quite a lot of people.

In terms of production it wouldn’t be too much extra effort in terms on manufacturing cost for sram. It only takes putting a short cage on to an existing gx axs mech and new firmware.

When the original 7 speed x01 dh group set was released it seemed like no one would be spending that kind on money. Yet it still took off.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a dh oriented axs group released in the near future.
Primoz
11/9/2021 7:39am
I think the real showing regarding the state of the market will be what Shimano does with the Saint group...
Big Bird
11/9/2021 8:17am
Primoz wrote:
I think the real showing regarding the state of the market will be what Shimano does with the Saint group...
That's surely where they would introduce 7 speed AXS.
Edthorne
11/9/2021 8:26am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2021 8:31am
This doesn't quite cover the same 7 speed range that DH folk want, and definitely would forgo the simplicity of use you get from a 7 speed, but you can just use an XX1/X01/GX AXS paddle remote with an XPLR AXS derailleur to set up a sort of 12 speed 10-25/10-28/10-30 DH group if you want to.
Primoz
11/9/2021 8:43am
Primoz wrote:
Big Bird wrote:
Ha, got them!! Tongue

What I meant is that if Shimano will go all in with Saint and release it fairly soon, DH market still has some life in it left. If all the Saint proto stuff will just whittle away, then the market is so small, it doesn't make it worth it to make a special group.
11/9/2021 10:16am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2021 10:17am
This is something we have been kicking around for a while at Trinity MTB. Can we create a "gearbox" with existing components. It's definitely Honda RN01 inspired, but with AXS we think it takes their idea to the next step.
Primoz
11/9/2021 10:33am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2021 10:37am
The main question that I have is how to make the 'front chainring' slide left-to-right on the input axle without issues (Honda did this on the RN01 'production' gearbox too). Packing a 12spd cassette and a derailleur with the front chainring is not an issue, as long as the chainring can adapt to the chainline (i.e. make is straight in any gear). There is _NO_ way to make it work with the chainring fixed in the middle of the cassette, the axle to axle distance is too short for the chain to bend that much.

Otherwise it's a non-issue. And AXS doesn't seem like a big benefit to me, even more so if you'd enclose the whole thing in a metallic/carbon fibre casing, as you'll be blocking the wireless signal to the derailleur. And it makes sense to close it off to protect it from the dirt and do wet sump lubrication on the system Smile

I think if you take care of the axial sliding, mounting the cassette to a 'freehub' and the derailleur to a mount inside a casing (or just inside the front triangle) is fairly easy. Deal with bearing supports for the two axles and the input and output gears (to bring the power in from the pedals and take it back to the rear wheel) and you're done. And it makes all the sense in the world to do it if you want a 'gearbox' bike, as you use off the shelf components, that are reliable (even more so, when they are protected and in a clean environment), fairly light and the system is known to be efficient.
Big Bird
11/9/2021 1:51pm
Big Bird wrote:
've got foot in mouth disease. I totally forgot that they're two very different companies. Oops!
Primoz
11/9/2021 2:05pm
Big Bird wrote:
Big Bird wrote:
've got foot in mouth disease. I totally forgot that they're two very different companies. Oops!
Wait, you were serious? I was sure you were making fun of me for dragging Shimano in a Sram topic 😂

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest