Accessibility Widget: On | Off

2020 MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Create New Tag

4/6/2020 7:42 PM

Photo

We Are One Composites frame mold teaser?
|

4/6/2020 9:44 PM

Mitch Ropelato posing with something new BlackBox/RockShox. No real info out there but my gut tells me perhaps a Sea Otter release item - before you know.... Photo

|

4/6/2020 9:56 PM

Shawn_Trudell wrote:

Mitch Ropelato posing with something new BlackBox/RockShox. No real info out there but my gut tells me perhaps a Sea Otter release item - before you know.... Photo

Another photo of the mystery RS fork from a couple of months ago. Photo

|

4/6/2020 11:02 PM

Mitch caught a new and rare Zeb

|

4/7/2020 12:00 AM

the 2021 FOX suspension line up is here. including the new 38
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/2021-FOX-Suspension-Lineup-Unveiled,2856

|

4/7/2020 12:57 AM

So I was correct. The channels do recirculate oil.

|

4/7/2020 7:44 AM

Hah, Brendon says there has been no oil leakage from the air bleed buttons, yet his first shot (even before the statement) shows the right bleeder get all oily.

It's only natural, if you have oil around there and some air pressure, oil is going to get out. How much? Good question, unless you do the pressure relief thing every 20 minutes it's prolly not gonna be a problem, but still.

Plus, I'd really like to see how that oil recirculation thing is managed.

|

4/7/2020 12:24 PM

Primoz wrote:

Hah, Brendon says there has been no oil leakage from the air bleed buttons, yet his first shot (even before the statement) shows the right bleeder get all oily.

It's only natural, if you have oil around there and some air pressure, oil is going to get out. How much? Good question, unless you do the pressure relief thing every 20 minutes it's prolly not gonna be a problem, but still.

Plus, I'd really like to see how that oil recirculation thing is managed.

recirculate and "splashing easily" up to the seals are different things in my "engineering" brain. I remember my MRP Ribbon Coil with some protectors on these bleed ports to avoid them being pressed while packaged, one was oily., this was back in 2017 (oh wait!, yes 2017 !). .. If you bleed them a little while after a ride, vertica position, it'll be alright man.

|

4/7/2020 12:33 PM

But the point is to bleed them before the ride, isn't it? smile

But yeah, i agree about the splashing and recirculating. That's why i'd really like to see a cutaway or at least a thorough explanation on the thing, to see if it's not maybe just what i described, a channel behind the bushing for the oil to easily flow up to the foam ring.

|

4/7/2020 1:38 PM

Allows the oil to get up to the foam rings easier when in the Push Approved wheelie position...

|

4/7/2020 1:42 PM

New maxxis? Back of Jared Graves bike
Photo

|

4/7/2020 1:56 PM

I feel like Maxxis doesn't need more tread patterns.

I JUST WANT A DH CASING AGGRESSOR WITH MAXXTERRA RUBBER.

|

4/7/2020 2:51 PM

therock911 wrote:

Photo

I think that's a Specialized Eliminator.

|

4/7/2020 3:21 PM

therock911 wrote:

Photo

dlxah wrote:

He said in a comment that it is a prototype Specialized tire. No other details that I saw at the moment.

|

4/7/2020 4:36 PM

therock911 wrote:

Photo

dlxah wrote:

Masjo wrote:

He said in a comment that it is a prototype Specialized tire. No other details that I saw at the moment.

It's this tire:
https://www.specialized.com/do/en/eliminator-blck-dmnd-2bliss-ready/p/157849

|

4/7/2020 8:46 PM

I know we have already seen it but here is another shot thanks to the FOX website of Gwins new Prototype

Photo

|

4/8/2020 12:33 AM

Dave_Camp wrote:

I feel like Maxxis doesn't need more tread patterns.

I JUST WANT A DH CASING AGGRESSOR WITH MAXXTERRA RUBBER.

Why would you want that? Based on my experience the aggressor is a more or less underwhelming tyre. It locks up under braking easily and loses traction climbing relatively easily as well, though cornering grip is OK.

It's a rear specific tyre meant for bikes that get pedalled (on flats and going up), so I can hardly imagine a situation where a 3C version would be beneficial. Slickrock?

But yeah, some combinations are a PITA. If you'd want a dual compound DH casing tyre (you know, for a fast trail/enduro bike that gets ridden daily, also on tarmac, so a tyre lasts more than a week, like a 3C in the rear does), your only option from Maxxis is the DHF if i'm not mistaken. Also all DD compound tyres only come in 3C which is daft to me, since a heavier casing tyre is ideal to put in the rear (the rear wheel usually lives a harder life), but there's the 3C issue i mentioned above...

|

4/8/2020 12:37 AM

Since i can't edit my posts for some reason (does anybody else have that problem?), I'd just like to add that my above question is genuine (as to why you would want that). Plus the 3C gripe that i mentioned only gets exacerbated in the winter, when it gets cold and the soft part of the 3C compound gets brittle. My HR2 got bald on the sides over the winter because of that. So I've actually been thinking about riding dual compound tyres front and back either over the winter or actually maybe even all the time. And just rotate them, put a fresh one on the front, the front one (slightly used) on the rear.

|

4/8/2020 12:40 AM

What would have been edit nr.2...

Dave the Minion SS comes in a 3C MaxxGrip compound in a DH casing in WideTrail options (27 and 29).

|

4/8/2020 7:55 AM

^^MaxxGrip is the problem.... On the rear they roll slow and wear out fast. I want this for exactly what was described above- a heavy duty enduro bike that gets pedaled around.

Ideally you have a lighter casing with grippier rubber on the front. They make plenty of maxxgrip/DD or EXO casing tires for this.

On the rear you want heavier casing and faster/longer wearing rubber. AFAIK they don't make a single option like this (DH casing with anything other than maxxgrip rubber).

|

4/8/2020 10:05 AM

Only the DHF comes in dual compound and DH casing as far as i've researched. And only the Aggressor in DD casing and dual compound if i'm not mistaken. And yeah, that's my gripe as well.

It's interesting to me that you'd be willing to go 3C on the rear in that case, but anyways. THe Dissector apparently comes in 3C and DD casing, but only in 27 inches. Because reasons? Both 27 and 29 versions come in MaxxGrip and DH casing...

I really wish Maxxis had a subsite with all the tyre options and a clickable filter. I've actually thought about parsing all the data off their site and putting into excel so i could click away. But not knowing enough about web technologies, I'd collect the data by hand, ideally you'd want a spider thingy to crawl all over the site and throw it out to a script that would organise that data (separate wheel size and tyre width, casing technologies from compounds and tubeless readiness, etc.).

|

4/8/2020 12:17 PM

Primoz wrote:

Only the DHF comes in dual compound and DH casing as far as i've researched. And only the Aggressor in DD casing and dual compound if i'm not mistaken. And yeah, that's my gripe as well.

It's interesting to me that you'd be willing to go 3C on the rear in that case, but anyways. THe Dissector apparently comes in 3C and DD casing, but only in 27 inches. Because reasons? Both 27 and 29 versions come in MaxxGrip and DH casing...

I really wish Maxxis had a subsite with all the tyre options and a clickable filter. I've actually thought about parsing all the data off their site and putting into excel so i could click away. But not knowing enough about web technologies, I'd collect the data by hand, ideally you'd want a spider thingy to crawl all over the site and throw it out to a script that would organise that data (separate wheel size and tyre width, casing technologies from compounds and tubeless readiness, etc.).

Agreed, they definitely need a better filter system, especially as they keep adding new tread patterns, it gets a bit overwhelming.

|

4/8/2020 12:33 PM

It's overwhelming for people in the know, I've heard a few comments along the lines 'I have no idea what to choose. With Conti, there's one option and it works'.

Though here you can, kinda, choose exactly what you want/need. Kinda.

|

4/8/2020 1:35 PM

I don't know enough about their rubber compounds- where does 'dual compound' sit on the scale?

Only thing I understand anymore is MaxxGrip, Maxxterra, MaxxSpeed. Those make sense to me. MaxxSpeed is sick because they don't wear out but you'll die if you ride in the wet.

BTW I bought a DD casing MaxxSpeed Icon as a rear tire for my XC bike. It's amazing.

|

4/8/2020 2:31 PM

dlxah wrote: Photo

Yep, looks like they're building rims.....

|

4/8/2020 2:51 PM

mwolpin wrote:

Are you a WeAreOneComposites secret agent trying to distract us from that beautiful billet front triangle mold Under the bench? Or do you just not see it?

|

4/8/2020 2:56 PM

Maybe a Kavenz collaboration? 😜

Dave dual compound is the hard option. 3C is "the best of both worlds", I think its 60a carcass, 50a middle and 42a side knobs for the maxxterra option, dual compound is just 60a base with a 50a covering all over, something like that.

You used to also have super tacky, 42a all over. BTW, the higher the number, the stiffer the rubber.

|

4/8/2020 3:02 PM

dlxah wrote: Photo

mwolpin wrote:

Big Bird wrote:

Are you a WeAreOneComposites secret agent trying to distract us from that beautiful billet front triangle mold Under the bench? Or do you just not see it?

That thing? Oh, that's a mold for one of those triangle dinner chime that hasn't been updated since the 1800s. Imagine one of those made out of carbon! It would save 50 grams easily and sound so sweet.

Carbon dinner chime to come in 2021. Nothing else to see here.

|

4/8/2020 3:06 PM

mwolpin wrote:

That thing? Oh, that's a mold for one of those triangle dinner chime that hasn't been updated since the 1800s. Imagine one of those made out of carbon! It would save 50 grams easily and sound so sweet.

Carbon dinner chime to come in 2021. Nothing else to see here.

Sign me up! Here's my deposit! I love dinner.

|

4/8/2020 3:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2020 3:09 PM

Shawn_Trudell wrote:

It seems odd to me that they would have bigger stanchions on a single crown, than they would on a dual crown fork? I feel like this might be for 2022? because it would seem logical for the Boxxer to be the burliest fork in they're line up, having a single crown beefier than your dual crown seems odd!

|