Accessibility Widget: On | Off

MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Create New Tag

8/2/2021 8:29 AM

Do we expect any updates to the Saint clipless pedal? Was about to get a pair, but a refresh closer to that flat pedal design would be way more interesting!

|

8/2/2021 10:25 AM

mitch160 wrote: PhotoIs this the we are one bike?

looks similar to a prime thunderflash. DW-link?

|

8/2/2021 10:30 AM

NateMob wrote:

That's their Da Stem so I'd think so.

And their wheels too!

|

8/2/2021 3:09 PM

noeserdalt wrote:

Evil Ebike

Photo

someone done messed up.

|

8/2/2021 3:10 PM

If this isn't called the E-vil, i'll riot.

|

8/3/2021 6:26 AM

hope pedals are live. proprietary cleat design. just looks like a wider interface than spd?

|

8/3/2021 7:44 AM

|

8/3/2021 7:56 AM

mitch160 wrote: PhotoIs this the we are one bike?

yes, its live on their site:

https://www.weareonecomposites.com/the-arrival

|

8/3/2021 4:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2021 4:46 PM

New road groupset from shimano

DI2 maybe? something on the dearilleur for sure and different spider on the crank

Photo

|

8/3/2021 4:51 PM

I think there's been pics of next gen Dura Ace from the Tour this year? Not fully wireless unfortunately, too bad.

Integrated cables on road bikes (and modern road frames in general) are super slick and cool to look at. The people buying that high end of builds should understand and be OK with the cost of mechanics to work on it. Would suck to be a bike shop with clueless customers not understanding that though.

|

8/3/2021 10:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2021 10:40 PM

noeserdalt wrote:

New road groupset from shimano

DI2 maybe? something on the dearilleur for sure and different spider on the crank

Photo

Cycling tips had some decent shots of it
Photo
Photo

I don't mind that it's wired down at the mechs because that will mean it could have decent battery life. And the shifters are supposed to be wireless so that will make the cockpit setup up so much simpler.
I'm more excited to see what they'll be doing with XTR Di2 and what kind of solution they'll use for the mech battery (it's always a bit trickier to find a good location in mtb frames)

|

8/4/2021 5:24 AM

YT has been acquired by a private equity firm. now stands for "Young Trustafarians"

|

8/4/2021 5:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2021 5:40 AM

grambo wrote:

I think there's been pics of next gen Dura Ace from the Tour this year? Not fully wireless unfortunately, too bad.

Integrated ...more

probably new Dura Ace. Current platform (9100) was released in 2016. the last time Dura Ace went 5 years without an upgrade was the 7800 platform released in 2003.

edit: appears to be a 12 spd grouppo.

|

8/4/2021 5:38 AM

that reminds me, the current saint platform (m820, released 2012) is the longest running platform between road and cycling (9 years and counting). next closest was ultegra 9 speed (6500 platform, 8 years, launched 1997 replaced by ultegra 10spd 6600 in 2005)

|

8/4/2021 7:48 AM

|

8/4/2021 8:03 AM

"you're gonna pay me how much to ride what?"

|

8/4/2021 8:08 AM

Not a rumor as they are announced since yesterday, but weird to see almost 0 press about the new Giant e-Reign despite a brand new motor unique to the brand and pretty good looking builds at each price point:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/fr/bikes-reign-eplus-2022

Seems only the french and german markets have them listed and no one has ridden them. Isn't Giant the biggest brand on earth?? So weird.

|

8/4/2021 8:34 AM

Eoin wrote:

Not a rumor as they are announced since yesterday, but weird to see almost 0 press about the new Giant e-Reign despite a brand ...more

can't say I find that terribly surprising. its not the only MTB in the lineup not offered in the US, they stopped selling the Glory here a few years back.

|

8/4/2021 9:08 AM

Eoin wrote:

Not a rumor as they are announced since yesterday, but weird to see almost 0 press about the new Giant e-Reign despite a brand ...more

Geo numbers look steeper/slacker compared to the analog Reign, I can assume that means is a new Reign in the works.

|

8/4/2021 9:08 AM

Finally, I can last more than 1 lap at the pump track... I'm going to be such a king when I get one

|

8/4/2021 9:11 AM

giant reign e+...so interesting. blasting some photos here.
Photo
Giant’s SyncDrive Pro motor was developed with Yamaha and optimized for the new Reign E+ chassis. The motor is lighter and more compact than the previous model, which allows for significantly more ground clearance. 85nm
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

8/4/2021 9:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2021 9:17 AM

Looks very steep. Plus looks like it has a trick lower rocker with the hoses going through it? Probably a very nicely fitting plastic cover? That would mean Giant stepping up frame fitment and details smile

|

8/4/2021 9:19 AM

Primoz wrote:

Looks very steep. Plus looks like it has a trick lower rocker with the hoses going through it? Probably a very nicely fitting ...more

They do that on the current Reign E+ too (and/or the Trance E+). It looks good but is a pain in the ebutt to work on.

|

8/4/2021 9:24 AM

a couple more pics from the giant page
Photo
Photo

|

8/4/2021 9:26 AM

I still have nightmares from having to remove the crank and the chainguide plus essentially take apart the suspension just to remove the shock on my Reign... Let's not get into completely unsealed/uncovered bearings too.

Some bikes are NOT servicing friendly.

|

8/4/2021 9:30 AM

They do use sealed bearings now, but it looks like they've routed the speed sensor through the link too. That was (is) one of the common failures on Giant Eebs.
The motors and batteries are great, but the switchgear and wiring have previously not been up to much (UK conditions at least).

|

8/4/2021 9:40 AM

When I say unsealed, I mean they used 2RS bearings, but no additional sealing done to them on the frame itself. I'm being more and more convinced that the stock 2RS seals on bearings simply are not enough, even if they are the "Enduro" LLU seals or any other type where the seal is in any way preloaded to the inner race and can compensate seal wear. Any bearing seal is nevertheless not grit and power washer resistant enough. Plus my Reign had a small bathtub under the shock that was sealed in by the shock bearings with no additional covers or drain holes... And said bearings only rotated by a couple of degrees (as much as the shock moved through the travel), so of course those two ebarings died very quickly.

I think bike reviews should cover things like this as well, maybe even ease of servicing, but definitely details like suspension pivot sealing. I know the old Enduro had additional seals on every pivot, the 650B Spectral does as well and some other bikes mention that too.

As for additional pics, at first I wrote 'through the link' and then changed my post to where I mentioned an additional (plastic) cover. Nope, they actually go straight through the link! smile

|

8/4/2021 9:42 AM

|

8/4/2021 9:46 AM

Ah right. Yeah whenever I did a bearing service on them I'd always upgrade the lower bearings, but then standard bearings are rarely up to much abuse anyway.
The Giant shock trough does not help in anyway either and there are few people that will clean and dry it out regularly. On my last Reign I tried moto foam down there but it tended to trap more dust and dirt, so I just cleaned it out more often.

|

8/4/2021 10:34 AM

The binding of bushings on droppers on slack seat tubes is already high. Nice idea, don't think it will be a big hit for long.

|