MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

Related:
metadave
5/18/2021 12:36pm
qblambda wrote:
Seen on [url=https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/2020-MTB-Tech-rumors-and-innovation,10797?page=102]PAGE 102[/url] from 28th march [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2021/03/28/10646/s1600_5CAE026F_25A4_445D_808C_8664B95EDF68.jpg[/img]
Seen on PAGE 102 from 28th march
stefkrger wrote:
Haha wow. If it was not for the Intense print scheme this might as well be a Santa Cruz.
Intense first started with the design waaaaaay back in 15'/16 when Palmer showed up to Fontana with a proto. So it's not like they just copied Santa Cruz on it. Someone mentioned in here at some point that during that time as part of the VPP license agreement between them that Santa Cruz had first crack at Intenses designs if they wanted them. Not sure if that's true but it would be interesting. Hopefully with VPP expired Intense can move out of their shadow again a bit. But we'll see.
5/19/2021 1:11am
Soooo, does this mean there will be a single crown fork with 39mm stantions? Holy mother of Batman!!! And the last Bos, the inverted one, was...
Soooo, does this mean there will be a single crown fork with 39mm stantions? Holy mother of Batman!!! And the last Bos, the inverted one, was a 220mm travel fork. And the previous, right-side-up 37 FCV was a 208mm travel fork. How much would this one be?
The DC 39 has 208mm of travel and it could be a great fork but its hard to get spare Parts from Bos. There is also...
The DC 39 has 208mm of travel and it could be a great fork but its hard to get spare Parts from Bos.

There is also an SC Version with 39mm and 190mm Travel.

Pretty strange there is no official announcement on the BOS stuff. New sc long-travel fork, new dc-fork, new version of the usd dc-fork, new Void 3 shock. Seems like BOS have been pretty busy, how come they are flying so under the radar???
5/19/2021 1:18am
Pretty strange there is no official announcement on the BOS stuff. New sc long-travel fork, new dc-fork, new version of the usd dc-fork, new Void 3...
Pretty strange there is no official announcement on the BOS stuff. New sc long-travel fork, new dc-fork, new version of the usd dc-fork, new Void 3 shock. Seems like BOS have been pretty busy, how come they are flying so under the radar???
BOS only communicates in French, which of course everybody else have to learn by their standards. Great products, but completely horrible customer support (did not respond to my English email some years ago, distributors change too often, and difficulties getting parts).
5/19/2021 1:45am
baronKanon wrote:
BOS only communicates in French, which of course everybody else have to learn by their standards. Great products, but completely horrible customer support (did not respond...
BOS only communicates in French, which of course everybody else have to learn by their standards. Great products, but completely horrible customer support (did not respond to my English email some years ago, distributors change too often, and difficulties getting parts).
A friend had some years ago an Orbea rallon with Bos suspension.
The old rallon had at the lower link no bushing it had an 15mm axle but the bos shock normaly has an 14mm eyelet.
So Bos just "drilled" that hole up to 15mm.

Now the wall thick at the eyelet was really small.
As you can think after some month it broke.

So the shop send it to Bos and they didn't answer an email or send him one if they repair it, after 5-6 month he got it back. But at that time he had bought a new shock.

(sorry for my bad english)
LLLLL
5/19/2021 2:11am
I had bos on my last bike, so long as you followed the instructions when servicing then it’s all good. The 34mm chassis was definitely to flexy on landings and got squirily. I was thinking of fitting the damper into a lyric. This 39 version will be amazing.
lickmycrinkle
5/19/2021 3:11am
Didn't the owner of BOS have a hissy fit that MTB suspension wasn't worth it and people don't appreciate his products, and promised to exit the market?

Anyway, you couldn't pay me to run their stuff.
Karabuka
5/19/2021 3:11am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2021 3:16am
Primoz wrote:
Yeah, I heard horror stories about BOS servicing too. But honestly, if you don't have 2 left arms and have a half decent garage, enabling you...
Yeah, I heard horror stories about BOS servicing too.

But honestly, if you don't have 2 left arms and have a half decent garage, enabling you to service your own suspension, what brand to get? Intend?

FOX is notorious for a clusterfuck of servicing tools (expensive tools that change from generation to generation), RS is fairly OK, but has been dropping the ball parts wise - I have a C1 RC2 Lyrik, that looks to be a complete unwanted child (it's a bit of a mix and match of parts, not quite an Ultimate, but very much like it), shimstack specs for shocks aren't available anymore, there is a single spec rebuild kit for rear shocks covering all of them and including parts that aren't covered by the service manual, meaning there is a lot of leftover unused parts after the service, etc.

In this day and age, in a time where we should be making less waste and in a time where supplies are fickle at best, it would make sense to have a spec of O-rings and wipers that would be standard parts, then just specify the dimensions, material and hardness for correct operation. It's not like the parts used in the products are a completely special part, they are mostly off the shelf designs.
DVO was designed with a user serviceability in mind, to disassemble my topaz t3 it takes a vice, shaft holder, one wrench and two allen keys and you get full service manuals online.
Similar with Manitou, no special tools needed in my experience - mattoc in theory requires drilled out cassette tool but it works with longer version of such key and trimmed down 8mm drive socket but iirc mezzer was designed with easier maintanence in mind.
Probably similar story with other smaller brands like mrp or cane creek (double barrel again in theory requires special tools and nitrogen but I have a friend who has been doing service on his own for years with reverb bleed kit and a needle thats fits shock pump)
5/19/2021 11:13pm
Pretty strange there is no official announcement on the BOS stuff. New sc long-travel fork, new dc-fork, new version of the usd dc-fork, new Void 3...
baronKanon wrote:
BOS only communicates in French, which of course everybody else have to learn by their standards. Great products, but completely horrible customer support (did not respond...
Bought a Bos Void 2 shock from someone in the UK last year. Had to get info about the shock, asked the previous owner before contacting BOS. He contacted them on behalf of me in english, they replied in 2 hours with full info.
It’s been problem-free and great.
SB14
5/20/2021 4:42am
Karabuka wrote:
DVO was designed with a user serviceability in mind, to disassemble my topaz t3 it takes a vice, shaft holder, one wrench and two allen keys...
DVO was designed with a user serviceability in mind, to disassemble my topaz t3 it takes a vice, shaft holder, one wrench and two allen keys and you get full service manuals online.
Similar with Manitou, no special tools needed in my experience - mattoc in theory requires drilled out cassette tool but it works with longer version of such key and trimmed down 8mm drive socket but iirc mezzer was designed with easier maintanence in mind.
Probably similar story with other smaller brands like mrp or cane creek (double barrel again in theory requires special tools and nitrogen but I have a friend who has been doing service on his own for years with reverb bleed kit and a needle thats fits shock pump)
Yes, that is one of the reasons that i switched to DVO Jade coil shock and the Manitou Mezzer for for this season. For me who lives in the remote parts of Norway, this has been really important for me to be able to service my suspension myself.

Also, the Mezzer is soo good. just saying..
5/20/2021 5:39am

New Manitou Dorado (or maybe a new right side up fork idk) being hidden on Clemens Kaudela’s bike.

Primoz
5/20/2021 7:37am
Defo an upside down fork.
lewzz10
5/20/2021 8:23am
He's on a Manitou shock..
Jakub_G
5/20/2021 9:21am
Hint, it's much harder to mask something that's moving, like in a video, like dark fest first hits one.
w4s
5/20/2021 10:05am
Jakub_G wrote:
Hint, it's much harder to mask something that's moving, like in a video, like dark fest first hits one.
Exactly, there's video of him on the bike and it's a Dorado.
5/20/2021 10:26am
Problem is, you can’t see details on a video. And we want details (or just a confirmation on the ones we already know for the next Dorado :D).
metadave
5/20/2021 12:52pm
lewzz10 wrote:
He's on a Manitou shock..
That would interest me. I put a few on customers bikes as a replacement shock and it felt excellent and had many good customer follow ups when I chatted with them over their former fox floats or monarchs
5/20/2021 1:15pm
metadave wrote:
Intense first started with the design waaaaaay back in 15'/16 when Palmer showed up to Fontana with a proto. So it's not like they just copied...
Intense first started with the design waaaaaay back in 15'/16 when Palmer showed up to Fontana with a proto. So it's not like they just copied Santa Cruz on it. Someone mentioned in here at some point that during that time as part of the VPP license agreement between them that Santa Cruz had first crack at Intenses designs if they wanted them. Not sure if that's true but it would be interesting. Hopefully with VPP expired Intense can move out of their shadow again a bit. But we'll see.
So thats quite a long time after the first SC mule with the lower link driven shock was shown back in early 2014:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-santa-cruz-nomad-2014.html
madsam9
5/20/2021 1:18pm

New damper in Remy Metailler's Dvo
5/20/2021 2:41pm
Leo Molloy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2021/05/19/10818/s1200_IMG_20210520_154521.jpg[/img]

Assuming this is an Alchemy frame (which I guess it might not be), didn't David Earle say their 'sine suspension' was specifically developed for air shocks? Even with the HBC tuning, the Storia seems a little off here.
Loche
5/20/2021 3:54pm
Leo Molloy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2021/05/19/10818/s1200_IMG_20210520_154521.jpg[/img]

Assuming this is an Alchemy frame (which I guess it might not be), didn't David Earle say their 'sine suspension' was specifically developed for air shocks...
Assuming this is an Alchemy frame (which I guess it might not be), didn't David Earle say their 'sine suspension' was specifically developed for air shocks? Even with the HBC tuning, the Storia seems a little off here.
Also, isn't this thing missing a pivot? These are pretty thick to be flex stays...

Unless there's a small link just behind the gearbox (à la DW-Link/Sine), but then why wouldn't you make a full rear triangle?
JamesR_2026
5/20/2021 4:00pm
New Manitou Dorado (or maybe a new right side up fork idk) being hidden on Clemens Kaudela’s bike. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2021/05/20/10819/s1200_7AA62783_3804_4942_B66B_C69A6673B310.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2021/05/20/10820/s1200_693ACE3C_EF24_4677_85FB_058D911D3442.jpg[/img]

New Manitou Dorado (or maybe a new right side up fork idk) being hidden on Clemens Kaudela’s bike.

That's 100% a new Dorado, which is awesome news!
Carraig042
5/20/2021 4:35pm
New Manitou Dorado (or maybe a new right side up fork idk) being hidden on Clemens Kaudela’s bike. [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2021/05/20/10819/s1200_7AA62783_3804_4942_B66B_C69A6673B310.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2021/05/20/10820/s1200_693ACE3C_EF24_4677_85FB_058D911D3442.jpg[/img]

That's 100% a new Dorado, which is awesome news!
I could agree, I enjoyed my Dorado!
5/20/2021 5:24pm
Loche wrote:
Also, isn't this thing missing a pivot? These are pretty thick to be flex stays... Unless there's a small link just behind the gearbox (à la...
Also, isn't this thing missing a pivot? These are pretty thick to be flex stays...

Unless there's a small link just behind the gearbox (à la DW-Link/Sine), but then why wouldn't you make a full rear triangle?
It's my own 3D printed prototype frame. It's a dual link gearbox bike. It's currently got an incomplete rear triangle to make mounting the belt easier. If you remember I surveyed you guys about making a frame awhile ago and some of you wanted updates. I'll send some more photos when I start making the CNC'd version.
Big Bird
5/20/2021 7:00pm
Leo Molloy wrote:
It's my own 3D printed prototype frame. It's a dual link gearbox bike. It's currently got an incomplete rear triangle to make mounting the belt easier...
It's my own 3D printed prototype frame. It's a dual link gearbox bike. It's currently got an incomplete rear triangle to make mounting the belt easier. If you remember I surveyed you guys about making a frame awhile ago and some of you wanted updates. I'll send some more photos when I start making the CNC'd version.
metadave
5/20/2021 7:45pm
metadave wrote:
Intense first started with the design waaaaaay back in 15'/16 when Palmer showed up to Fontana with a proto. So it's not like they just copied...
So thats quite a long time after the first SC mule with the lower link driven shock was shown back in early 2014:

Huh, fair enough. I had somehow missed that one at the time.

Although I nerded out after seeing that looking around and found that Outland beat us both out by at least 18 years 😅

5/20/2021 8:35pm
metadave wrote:

metadave wrote:
Huh, fair enough. I had somehow missed that one at the time. Although I nerded out after seeing that looking around and found that Outland beat...
Huh, fair enough. I had somehow missed that one at the time.

Although I nerded out after seeing that looking around and found that Outland beat us both out by at least 18 years 😅

Also, dont forget that you had first gen V10s (designed by intense at the time) and Intense M3s with that lower shock design as early as 2001/2002. Although the outland most likely predates all of them, since they invented and originally held the patent for VPP.
Loche
5/20/2021 9:57pm
Loche wrote:
Also, isn't this thing missing a pivot? These are pretty thick to be flex stays... Unless there's a small link just behind the gearbox (à la...

Leo Molloy wrote:
It's my own 3D printed prototype frame. It's a dual link gearbox bike. It's currently got an incomplete rear triangle to make mounting the belt easier...
Oh wow good job!

CNC? CNC halves like Pole?

Post a reply to: MTB Tech Rumors and Innovation

The Latest