2019 Racing Rumors

12/5/2018 3:04am
The Athertons have been dropped by hope for unprofessional behaviour. Turns out it is not a good idea calling in sick for a meet the pros...
The Athertons have been dropped by hope for unprofessional behaviour.

Turns out it is not a good idea calling in sick for a meet the pros day organised by hope, which at least one of athertons was contractually obliged to attend. Only to then be seen on Instagram the very same day riding in wales.

Renthal are only interested in Kade, the marketing manager is a friend of Kade's dad the former mbuk pinner Tom Edwards

Plenty more to that one than just that with regards Hope!
Also a great way to appease your sponsor is flogging a tonne of their kit on eBay....
Verbl Kint
12/5/2018 7:27am
dmcd38 wrote:
next year, at this time, we will be talking about Bruni moving to the Syndicate after Greg retires for sure ;) Kathy Sessler, in a recent...
next year, at this time, we will be talking about Bruni moving to the Syndicate after Greg retires for sure Wink

Kathy Sessler, in a recent interview (think it was a podcast), when asked about which rider she would pick for the syndicate if she had the chance to choose anyone, she said "for sure Loic Bruni".
Loic had mentioned several times in the past (even during his stint with Blenki in LaPierre) that he grew up with posters of the Syndicate on his walls.
watchcwgo
12/5/2018 7:44am
Interested to see what if anything happens with auto sponsorships next season. I believe Jolanda Neff has some sort of Ford Europe endorsement, she used to post stuff about her mustang a fair bit.

12/5/2018 8:17am
Not really world cup related but Martin Soderstrom and Hannah Barnes both are sponsored by BMW for their X3 and X5's
metadave
12/5/2018 9:07am
Are the Atherton's still with Jeep? They always seem to have vehical sponsor as well all the way back to animal/commencal with nissan
danposs86
12/5/2018 9:11am
metadave wrote:
Are the Atherton's still with Jeep? They always seem to have vehical sponsor as well all the way back to animal/commencal with nissan
Think they left Jeep end of last year
12/5/2018 9:27am
metadave wrote:
danposs86 wrote:
Think they left Jeep end of last year
The did. I believe this past year they had no vehicle sponsor.
kolsen
12/5/2018 10:03am
The Athertons have been dropped by hope for unprofessional behaviour. Turns out it is not a good idea calling in sick for a meet the pros...
The Athertons have been dropped by hope for unprofessional behaviour.

Turns out it is not a good idea calling in sick for a meet the pros day organised by hope, which at least one of athertons was contractually obliged to attend. Only to then be seen on Instagram the very same day riding in wales.

Renthal are only interested in Kade, the marketing manager is a friend of Kade's dad the former mbuk pinner Tom Edwards

Plenty more to that one than just that with regards Hope!
Also a great way to appease your sponsor is flogging a tonne of their kit on eBay....
Geesus
Kusa
12/5/2018 11:52am
watchcwgo wrote:
Interested to see what if anything happens with auto sponsorships next season. I believe Jolanda Neff has some sort of Ford Europe endorsement, she used to...
Interested to see what if anything happens with auto sponsorships next season. I believe Jolanda Neff has some sort of Ford Europe endorsement, she used to post stuff about her mustang a fair bit.

Ford has serious troubles with sale numbers in Europe so not sure if they are going to throw some fat cash into the sport. Also they basically have no car to promote on European market... we do not do trucks and with ongoing (and stupid) ban on diesel cars, not so many options.

Primoz
12/5/2018 1:30pm
Diesel aren't going anywhere for the forseeable future, regardless of the politicians saying so.

As for Europe, we are getting the Ranger Raptor besides having the Ranger for years. How is that not marketable to the DH crowd?

Though, personally, i'd be much more partial to a Focus RS Estate. With a tow hitch for a bike carrier of course Smile
DubC
12/5/2018 2:11pm
Wrong thread - I know it has not been made explicitly clear but this one is for rāsiNG ro͞omərs..... Come on....we have a good streak going.

So what is this about Gwin on an Intense frame fitted with Hope parts purchased from ebay UK? Gee, I wonder if they at least gave him free shipping.
jimmypop
12/5/2018 6:03pm
DubC wrote:
Wrong thread - I know it has not been made explicitly clear but this one is for rāsiNG ro͞omərs..... Come on....we have a good streak going...
Wrong thread - I know it has not been made explicitly clear but this one is for rāsiNG ro͞omərs..... Come on....we have a good streak going.

So what is this about Gwin on an Intense frame fitted with Hope parts purchased from ebay UK? Gee, I wonder if they at least gave him free shipping.
Subtle!
Levizbrown
12/5/2018 6:18pm
Rachel’s all over Instagram w the polygon team
C1audio
12/6/2018 1:17am
Levizbrown wrote:
Yup, also with Sam Pilgrim. Rachel to Haibike?!
12/6/2018 1:34am
Levizbrown wrote:
Only see a single post with the Polygon/Marin riders
danposs86
12/6/2018 2:47am
Maybe they are just really wanting to big up the new team because people may be feeling a little deflated?
12/6/2018 3:39am
JerseyMojo wrote:
Hmmm [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2018/12/06/7045/s1200_0708223F_01CE_447E_B0C4_35E4F7EEF10E.jpg[/img]
Hmmm
Trekfactorydh is Atherton Racing, not necessarily Trek Bikes Wink They will still be the same IG account next year, maybe with a new handle Wink
12/6/2018 4:36am
baronKanon wrote:
Trekfactorydh is Atherton Racing, not necessarily Trek Bikes Wink They will still be the same IG account next year, maybe with a new handle Wink
Yes, Marinfactorydh.
mtbAndy
12/6/2018 5:50am
Not exactly a racing rumor but Jeff Lenosky is off Giant in 2019.
12/6/2018 6:25am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2018 6:25am
Levizbrown wrote:
danposs86 wrote:
GMBN Christmas Dirt Shed?
Every year GMBN has a christmas edition Dirt Shed Show special. They invite a bunch of big names from the UK and around the world.
Rob Warner being there means there isn't any team relations to be had.

As for the Athertons to Marin, I find it really had to believe that they will 1) have the budget for such a large operation, having no recent DH or even high ranking Enduro team. They only have a few individuals with their own sponsors and contacts. And 2) go to a team without a downhill bike. The closest thing they have is a wolf ridge and that is on the complete opposite end of the downhill demon spectrum.
MPH24
12/6/2018 6:47am
Every year GMBN has a christmas edition Dirt Shed Show special. They invite a bunch of big names from the UK and around the world. Rob...
Every year GMBN has a christmas edition Dirt Shed Show special. They invite a bunch of big names from the UK and around the world.

As for the Athertons to Marin, I find it really had to believe that they will 1) have the budget for such a large operation, having no recent DH or even high ranking Enduro team. They only have a few individuals with their own sponsors and contacts. And 2) go to a team without a downhill bike. The closest thing they have is a wolf ridge and that is on the complete opposite end of the downhill demon spectrum.
Maybe the Athertons are having a harder time getting paid what they want from the larger companies. In other words, the Trek, Spec, etc. of the worlds think they are past their prime. Whether that is fair, true, or rachel is thinking about retiring is not something I am debating.

Anyway, I would love if this was the case and see Gee and Rachel come into the season and do some real damage. Rachel is Rachel, but Gee was looking damn good at the end of the year after all the injuries and I feel like he can be in podium mix. Be great if he was all pissed with the "no one believed in me" mentality because none of the big brands would give him a shot.
jimmypop
12/6/2018 7:41am
mtbAndy wrote:
Not exactly a racing rumor but Jeff Lenosky is off Giant in 2019.
Wow! He's been with Giant for a long time.

...back to Schwinn??
Loki87
12/6/2018 8:07am
Levizbrown wrote:
danposs86 wrote:
GMBN Christmas Dirt Shed?
Every year GMBN has a christmas edition Dirt Shed Show special. They invite a bunch of big names from the UK and around the world. Rob...

This has been stated numerous times now.
The Athertons are a perfect opportunity for a company to enter the market.
They have development capabilities, offer an established team structure, a well known name, a dominant female rider and a male rider with more accomplishments than most on the circuit who showed signs of strength towards the end of the season.
As for a bike, apparently Marin and Polygon are connected. They also use the same suspension layout, so Marin riders using a XSquxxxonetwothreeDH would be perfectly reasonable from a marketing standpoint. Casuals just wouldn´t care. I don´t know what kind of money Marin is able to throw at the project, but they sure could throw together a dh-frame design based on the Polygon easily
Depending on the offers the Athertons had on the table this might have simply been the best one available, given they surely are one of the more expensive teams but there were lots and lots of top tier riders available this season and many teams chose to go factory team and drop the external team management. So they could have just fallen victim to the big names taking matters into their own hands and stacking their rosters, leaving not much room for a complete package like Atherton Racing.

At some point any company has to make a first step. Marin being a non factor now doesn´t mean they don´t have the resources or desire to enter the circuit at all. I´m sure at some point a company like Marin (or whoever owns them and Polygon) is done simply offering low end product and not getting recognition from the market and wants to make a big splash. Enter Atherton Racing.
12/6/2018 9:23am
How did the Marin rumor start? There's been so much in defense of it, is it based on any kind of actual evidence? Just curious as the idea of DH riders with such pedigree as the Athertons going to a brand that currently doesn't even have a DH bike is pretty wild.
bturman
12/6/2018 9:41am
Orbea confirms their 2019 EWS squad:

A Big Welcome to a New Orbea Enduro Team

The Orbea Enduro Team project started out in January 2018. It was our return to the Enduro World Series following the Orbea Enduro Crew. It’s been almost a year since our return to top enduro competition and we’ve learned a lot.

This goes along with our nature that just won’t let us settle for second best, that makes us always strive for improvement and evolve in everything we do. It’s a part of our day to day and our philosophy at all levels.

As the result of all this, the team will debut a revamped structure in 2019, which will give us a more powerful Orbea Enduro Team, with more ambitious goals. The changes will be felt on an athletic level and in terms of communications and product development.

New Team Manager

On the one hand, we’ve added a trusted person to the management team who has already formed part of the Orbea family for a number of years. He’s an experienced and recognized competitor in different categories of MTB who also has a long history of leading rally, enduro and DH teams.

This person is none other than Primož Štrancar, from Slovenia, where enduro has a long tradition. He brings more than two decades of experience in many different facets of MTB. He arrives on the team to replace Julien Brugeas, whom we would like to thank for his hard work over the years. We wish him well in this new stage of his life.

Simply put, Primož believes in dedication, commitment and honesty. These are values that served well him during his cycling career to become national DH champion, national XCO champion on several occasions, and international and Olympic XCO rider and the first World Enduro Master’s Champion in the EWS.

As a coach, he has served as head coach for different countries with XCO and DH teams, also earning international accolades. As if this were not enough, he is a qualified physical education instructor specialized in the training of cyclists. He definitely brings to the table a great deal of added value to promote the qualities of our riders.

A diamond in the rough

Our riders will have a new teammate in 2019.He’s a young 22-year-old talent from Slovenia, and reigning enduro champ in this country for the past four years. As a matter of fact, he competed in the 2018 EWS and came away with a fifth place finish as the best result in one of the rounds. His name is Vid Peršak, and he's a force to be reckoned with.

With this addition, we now have a number of riders who come from or live in different countries with a long enduro tradition. Thomas Lapeyrie represents the French side of the Alps, Gabriel Torralba hails from the peninsular side of the Pyrenees and Becky Cook comes from the small Island of Wight; near New Forest National Park.

Post a reply to: 2019 Racing Rumors

The Latest