2019 UCI World Cup Downhill Tech

Create New Tag

3/6/2019 9:23 AM

I guess the newer version of the TTX doesn't fit on that bike.

|

3/6/2019 10:34 AM

|

3/6/2019 10:35 AM

|

3/6/2019 11:34 AM

Air can on that Super Deluxe looks different. Maybe bigger negative air spring volume ? Looks like Fox evol or Vorsprung Corset air cans to me

|

3/6/2019 11:40 AM

jozef.gasso wrote:

Air can on that Super Deluxe looks different. Maybe bigger negative air spring volume ? Looks like Fox evol or Vorsprung Corset air cans to me

here's a zoom. good eye.

|

3/6/2019 1:55 PM

so a mole is saying that air can was around all last year and no one noticed. pretty hilarious if so.

|

3/6/2019 1:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2019 1:57 PM

sspomer wrote:

so a mole is saying that air can was around all last year and no one noticed. pretty hilarious if so.

Sam Hill was on different air cans last year and a few other riders snuck them in, cannot think of who right now tho..

|

3/6/2019 1:59 PM

sspomer wrote:

remember when trek did the 69 stuff? it didn't last too long. i remember hearing from someone (forget who), that the differences in gyroscopic effect with two wheel sizes threw off consistent cornering characteristics, so trek scrapped it. obviously loic and crew are ludicrous testers, so they'll figure out if it works or not, but curious to see how it all goes.

It sounds goofy now, but so have most other things MTB at their inception (including disc brakes, rear suspension, 29 " wheels...). You should be able to get around any the gyroscopic effect with bike design (angles, geo, etc.). Keep in mind motocross bikes have crazy differences in what's going on with the front vs rear wheel, and they have to turn well both under power and off the gas. Having the ability to roll over stuff w the front wheel and having more tire volume in the rear (dampen bumps, less flats, less butt-buzzing) does seem appealing.

|

3/6/2019 2:26 PM

nehuen93 wrote:

Bruni and Iles testing at skyline Queenstown. 29 front/27.5 at the back. And prototype 29 wheels.

For me UCI does not allow different wheel sizes on DH competitions bikes !

or the rules have been changed ?!

|

3/6/2019 2:56 PM

nehuen93 wrote:

Bruni and Iles testing at skyline Queenstown. 29 front/27.5 at the back. And prototype 29 wheels.

loic.penel wrote:

For me UCI does not allow different wheel sizes on DH competitions bikes !

or the rules have been changed ?!

The rules have changed for this year

|

3/6/2019 3:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2019 3:06 PM

sspomer wrote:

AdamZiegler52 wrote:

Sam Hill was on different air cans last year and a few other riders snuck them in, cannot think of who right now tho..

yeah, we spotted sam's https://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/PIT-BITS-Enduro-World-Series-Finale,12049/Hey-Sam-Hill-Whats-with-Your-Bulge,125799/sspomer,2 and mark scott had a really big one (on that page too). diff than this though, eh?

|

3/6/2019 3:23 PM

Dylan wrote:

Google reckons Danny is 178cm which I believe is similar to Gwin. So not that short.

For comparison, Troy Brosnan is 167cm and he's said 29ers are a no go. Riders below 170cm maybe the perfect candidates for a 27.5/29 combo. Although I'd wager that no rider in the top 15 overall will be on a mixed wheel bikes.

How did you get a administrator job again ? haha We will see a top 10 rider if not a top 5 rider on a 29/27.5 combo this season. If you're in Brisbane ill take cold hard cash

|

3/6/2019 4:02 PM

peecee wrote:

How did you get a administrator job again ? haha We will see a top 10 rider if not a top 5 rider on a 29/27.5 combo this season. If you're in Brisbane ill take cold hard cash

Never said they wouldn’t be testing it. A top 5 rider on mixed wheel sizes at the end of the season is a big call. Are you thinking Loic, Troy or Danny?

|

3/6/2019 5:22 PM

I'm calling it. There will be a top 5 finish in a race in this season's DH world cup with mixed wheel sizes.

|

3/6/2019 6:34 PM

Mark Wallace sporting some fun doodads at Windrock. I was asked to not shoot the fork in detail [I specifically asked first, but still...hint hint], so the front isn't shown, but it also had fun sensors. There was a freelap chip on the fork too... the Sram test camp was not messing about!

|

3/6/2019 6:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2019 6:46 PM

Won't be long until the UCI has to make a ruling on electronics.

|

3/6/2019 11:21 PM

Can't wait to see all these new rockshox/sram goods released to the public. They've been cookin!

|

3/6/2019 11:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2019 11:41 PM

For sure. Myself, I'm interested in the new Lyrik and what's inside. I think it's called ultra - not positive though. Hurry up and lift the embargo Sram.

|

3/7/2019 12:31 AM

kwapik wrote:

So far the electronics are all for testing and data acquisition purposes, so not an issue for the UCI from a racing point of view, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some Fox Live showing up soon as well as SRAM AXS drivetrains. maybe even dropper posts for tracks like cairns and the pedally bits of Fort Wlliam? Or electronic lockout switches?

|

3/7/2019 5:56 AM

kwapik wrote:

Sonofbovril2 wrote:

So far the electronics are all for testing and data acquisition purposes, so not an issue for the UCI from a racing point of view, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some Fox Live showing up soon as well as SRAM AXS drivetrains. maybe even dropper posts for tracks like cairns and the pedally bits of Fort Wlliam? Or electronic lockout switches?

Dropper posts were used back when Pietermaritzburg was on the circuit: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/world-cup-downhill-bike-pietermaritzburg-world-cup.html
I don't think SRAM AXS would provide a racing benefit other than ease of use, the pro roadies have been using eTap and Di2 without the UCI encroaching on that.
As for Fox's Live Valve, I'm not as sure. I'm sure we'll see some integration from SRAM/Rockshox soon and their top teams will run it, but it's a question of 'how much better' it makes you, and how expensive it is. The UCI stepped in on cyclocross in an effort to tone down equipment requirements for the pros with a max tire size, although the big names still roll into the pits with 12+ wheels to their name.

|

3/7/2019 6:42 AM

Masjo wrote:

Dropper posts were used back when Pietermaritzburg was on the circuit: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/world-cup-downhill-bike-pietermaritzburg-world-cup.html
I don't think SRAM AXS would provide a racing benefit other than ease of use, the pro roadies have been using eTap and Di2 without the UCI encroaching on that.
As for Fox's Live Valve, I'm not as sure. I'm sure we'll see some integration from SRAM/Rockshox soon and their top teams will run it, but it's a question of 'how much better' it makes you, and how expensive it is. The UCI stepped in on cyclocross in an effort to tone down equipment requirements for the pros with a max tire size, although the big names still roll into the pits with 12+ wheels to their name.

I agree, at this point there is very little from an electronics point of view that would affect the fairness of competition. AXS is really more of a convenience thing right now, but eventually it should get cheaper and become the standard across the range, and even the Fox Live system at this point doesn't seem to provide enough of an advantage to to even justify it's own price yet...

On a random note, I do think electronic shifting could be a big deal for the future of gearboxes, but thats another whole topic of discussion.

|

3/7/2019 6:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2019 6:55 AM

if enough data is tracked, couldn't you set things up so your electronics do the shifting automatically at certain points on track? same w/ a seat up and down? or auto lock-out on pedally sections? i can't see this being worth pursuing right now. there are so many variables to take into account on course and with the rider's pace that error would probably make it worthless. removing rider actions with the goal of focusing on the track could help w/ tenths or hundredths here and there though.

it's so rad how much tech and data is going into these things. it's also rad when the riders who have none of this at their disposal post up and get a good result!

|

3/7/2019 6:55 AM

sideshow wrote:

Mark Wallace sporting some fun doodads at Windrock. I was asked to not shoot the fork in detail [I specifically asked first, but still...hint hint], so the front isn't shown, but it also had fun sensors. There was a freelap chip on the fork too... the Sram test camp was not messing about!

My guess is the buttons are for the freewheel disengagement they worked on few (or last ?) seasons ago. Maybe I'm wrong and that's a sort of lockout for suspensions.

|

3/7/2019 7:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2019 7:04 AM

spotted in chile. interesting. (i know it's not a DH bike or world cup but...)

|

3/7/2019 7:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2019 7:09 AM

neko's windrock bike

timing chip on luca's bike during test camp

|

3/7/2019 7:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2019 7:20 AM

Verbl Kint wrote:

I'm calling it. There will be a top 5 finish in a race in this season's DH world cup with mixed wheel sizes.

Let's make it interesting.

Pick which race

|

3/7/2019 7:28 AM

loris on xtr brakes for windrock. both of his worlds bikes (same bike as pictured here) had saints on them.

|

3/7/2019 8:02 AM

sideshow wrote:

ABS no doubt

|

3/7/2019 9:28 AM

sspomer wrote:

if enough data is tracked, couldn't you set things up so your electronics do the shifting automatically at certain points on track? same w/ a seat up and down? or auto lock-out on pedally sections? i can't see this being worth pursuing right now. there are so many variables to take into account on course and with the rider's pace that error would probably make it worthless. removing rider actions with the goal of focusing on the track could help w/ tenths or hundredths here and there though.

it's so rad how much tech and data is going into these things. it's also rad when the riders who have none of this at their disposal post up and get a good result!

To many variables for that, you'd need a system that reacts to conditions not one that is pre programed to a track even with positional location.

Kinda like this thing.
https://youtu.be/OEXVGwEfq_E

|

3/7/2019 9:37 AM

Luca hasn't been playing with the rebound knobs 😄

|