2019 UCI World Cup Downhill Tech

Create New Tag

4/27/2019 12:06 AM

The Syndicate enters into the coil vs air debate.

|

4/29/2019 2:53 AM

Dylan wrote:

Google reckons Danny is 178cm which I believe is similar to Gwin. So not that short.

For comparison, Troy Brosnan is 167cm and he's said 29ers are a no go. Riders below 170cm maybe the perfect candidates for a 27.5/29 combo. Although I'd wager that no rider in the top 15 overall will be on a mixed wheel bikes.

|

4/29/2019 5:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2019 5:27 AM

peecee wrote:

This has been quoted weeks ago on the rumours thread, the all white bike in Portugal and the new colours have been on the site all year.

Im pretty sure that Danny isn't as small as people think don't quote me on that as I can't remember where I saw it but I was also surprised when I read it. (Ill try dig it up)

Dylan wrote:

Google reckons Danny is 178cm which I believe is similar to Gwin. So not that short.

For comparison, Troy Brosnan is 167cm and he's said 29ers are a no go. Riders below 170cm maybe the perfect candidates for a 27.5/29 combo. Although I'd wager that no rider in the top 15 overall will be on a mixed wheel bikes.

peecee wrote:

To be fair I did say overall and the seasons not over... But yeah I concede, I was banking on Bruni not being a hypocrite. The real question now is will any teams scramble to have a mullet bike ready for Fort William like after the Syndicate dominated qualifying in Lourdes on 29er's?

|

5/1/2019 8:55 AM

Karpiel officially in the instagram game and the 29er DH game. 29er Armageddon

View this post on Instagram

New prototype Karpiel Armagedon 29"

A post shared by Jan Karpiel (@karpielbikes) on

|

5/1/2019 10:01 AM

sspomer wrote:

Karpiel officially in the instagram game and the 29er DH game. 29er Armageddon

View this post on Instagram

New prototype Karpiel Armagedon 29"

A post shared by Jan Karpiel (@karpielbikes) on

There is a god! That downtube is sooooo old school, love it and hate it.

|

5/1/2019 10:03 AM

from what i've heard that bike is just a 1 off, no solid plans to return to production. also that frame was ridden prior to heat treatment.

|

5/1/2019 10:12 AM

jonkranked wrote:

from what i've heard that bike is just a 1 off, no solid plans to return to production. also that frame was ridden prior to heat treatment.

Random fact about the heat treating, or lack thereof. The frame could have been age-hardened.

|

5/1/2019 2:07 PM

sspomer wrote:

Karpiel officially in the instagram game and the 29er DH game. 29er Armageddon

View this post on Instagram

New prototype Karpiel Armagedon 29"

A post shared by Jan Karpiel (@karpielbikes) on

Seems like a visit to Northstar is in order for a proper test.

|

5/1/2019 4:17 PM

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

5/1/2019 5:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/1/2019 5:34 PM

jonkranked wrote:

from what i've heard that bike is just a 1 off, no solid plans to return to production. also that frame was ridden prior to heat treatment.

Does that mean that he's bothering to heat treat now adays?

I'd like to see the numbers on that frame. Looks Pole long.

|

5/1/2019 6:51 PM

Not the prettiest of bikes but really like the implementation of geometry adjustment of both seat tube angle and shock eye. Lot's of range for adjustment...

|

5/1/2019 7:54 PM

I still remember like a half-dozen guys or more in Florida on Karpiels who loved dropping loading docks on 3-inch Gazzalodies that were completely bald showing up at Western North Carolina DH prices on those bikes

|

Trouble Maker. Here to spit truth in the form of sarcasm.

5/2/2019 9:31 AM

Big Bird wrote:

Does that mean that he's bothering to heat treat now adays?

I'd like to see the numbers on that frame. Looks Pole long.

i guess heat treating is at least an option.

|

5/3/2019 5:32 AM

Bulls apparently has some fresh prototypes being spotted in the wild... #spyshots



|

5/3/2019 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/3/2019 4:13 PM

iceman2058 wrote:

Bulls apparently has some fresh prototypes being spotted in the wild... #spyshots



Even more impressive is that they've caught someone wearing the dirtlej dirtsuit in public.

|

5/4/2019 7:34 AM

Randomscruff wrote:

Even more impressive is that they've caught someone wearing the dirtlej dirtsuit in public.

Even more so on what seems to be a dry day?!? o.O
That said, i´d rock the thing on a rainy park day, as long as it keeps my ass dry.

|

5/4/2019 7:37 AM

some pretty interesting PIT BITS from the ixs cup this weekend
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/PIT-BITS-iXS-Downhill-Cup-2,2674

|

5/5/2019 3:06 PM


Yo what is ohlins up to?
|

5/5/2019 5:00 PM

heat sink probably

|

5/6/2019 6:58 AM

looks like ride height adjustment to me

|

5/15/2019 12:19 PM

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

5/20/2019 2:17 PM

don't tell colin bailey about this yet : ) he doesn't know i started it. i joked w/ him about it though. we'll take it public with his Inside Line on wednesday. so stoked! if you've ridden a DHF, kick in a buck or a hundred.
https://www.gofundme.com/colin-bailey-maxxis-minion-dhf-design-appreciation

|

5/20/2019 3:05 PM

sspomer wrote:

don't tell colin bailey about this yet : ) he doesn't know i started it. i joked w/ him about it though. we'll take it public with his Inside Line on wednesday. so stoked! if you've ridden a DHF, kick in a buck or a hundred.
https://www.gofundme.com/colin-bailey-maxxis-minion-dhf-design-appreciation

How about we skip the DHF and get started on making the Michelin Comp 16, 24 and 32 again!

|

5/21/2019 7:03 PM

sneak peek for forum members. colin bailey's inside line is sort of live on our backend. it will hit podcast channels later tonight

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Colin-Bailey-The-Inside-Line-Podcast,2696

|

5/27/2019 12:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/27/2019 12:53 PM

A while back there was some discussion on self-adjusting suspension, and I thought ya'll might like to see what it looks like now that it exists. This is the first hardware iteration for my system, which was built from spare parts and a lot of electrical tape. The control architecture relies on a number of supervised statistical learners which make informed guesses about the sections of trail ahead of the bike.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/member/Suspension-Adjustment-System-Version-1,12398/Suspension-Adjustment-System-Version-1-p4,129828/PeteB,38249

https://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/member/Suspension-Adjustment-System-Version-1,12398/Suspension-Adjustment-System-Version-1-p1,129825/PeteB,38249

|

5/27/2019 2:48 PM

nice work peteB but isn't that basically the same as fox live valve?

|

5/27/2019 3:42 PM

nismo325 wrote:

nice work peteB but isn't that basically the same as fox live valve?

I have not ridden live valve, but the goal of my system seems to be different. From what I can gather through reading is Fox uses a few fixed values (angle of the bike relative to gravity, etc..), and looks for recognizable events like drops or pedal input to determine adjustments. This implies that Fox uses a generic control structure that can be tuned from sensor input and rider feedback.

Conversely, my system will learn a control structure specific to each rider. I'll spare the details, but the short version is as follows: Rather than fitting rider data to an existing control structure, create a control structure that adjusts itself based on rider data and prioritized behaviors (like momentum conservation, traction, chassis stability).

TLDR; Live valve adjusts suspension to meet pre-determined goals, whereas my system will learn rider preferences, techniques, and tendencies to determine suspension adjustments.

|

5/29/2019 7:57 PM

sspomer wrote:

don't tell colin bailey about this yet : ) he doesn't know i started it. i joked w/ him about it though. we'll take it public with his Inside Line on wednesday. so stoked! if you've ridden a DHF, kick in a buck or a hundred.
https://www.gofundme.com/colin-bailey-maxxis-minion-dhf-design-appreciation

I felt a little weird about it but Spomer is right to have started a gofundme. I love that tire and have counted on it more times then I know. I have sold a lot of them over the years and use it as a gateway for people to stop counting grams to see they think a tire is good or not. I kicked in some money thanks Colin!

|

5/30/2019 6:19 PM

I wonder what greg has going on with his fork ? looks like a different adjuster than everyone else and to his previous forks



|

6/2/2019 6:25 PM

amaury's commencal from fort bill last year and this year compared in his winning bike check
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/WINNING-BIKE-Amaury-Pierrons-Commencal-Supreme,2704

|