2019 UCI World Cup Downhill Tech

Create New Tag

4/24/2019 11:45 AM

Let's slap a couple Motion Flow EVO coil shocks up on that Cannondale and really blow some minds!!

|

Where the white women at?

4/24/2019 11:50 AM

Loics post is an alloy frame, you can see the welds!

|

4/24/2019 12:58 PM

Mike_Scubadog wrote:

Loics post is an alloy frame, you can see the welds!

duh. you're right. the clearcoat was so smooth i didn't even notice

|

4/24/2019 2:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2019 2:30 PM

Missed the above.

|

4/25/2019 12:35 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwq1SA0HUnS/

Loic rocking the sharpied Minion up front

|

4/25/2019 12:41 AM

Sir HC wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwq1SA0HUnS/

Loic rocking the sharpied Minion up front

Specialized does not currently have a DH casing 29" tire for him to use on the front. He is running the Butcher DH 27.5 on the back.

|

4/25/2019 2:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2019 2:56 AM

From the specializedgravity Instagram.





|

4/25/2019 3:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2019 3:20 AM

Someone at Scott is on a reverse mullet bike, I'm guessing Marine. I am genuinely surprised by the number of reverse mullet bikes.

I always assumed the industry picked 27.5" because it was halfway between 26" and 29", therefore, is there another wheel size in that range that is even more optimal? Metric wheel sizes for 2020?... Let's hope not

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by SCOTT DH Factory (@scottdhfactory) on


|

4/25/2019 3:32 AM

mmckechnie wrote:

From the specializedgravity Instagram.





Interesting how the chainstay attaches on the outside of the mainframe on the non-drive side but on the inside on the drive side. Obviously for space purposes around the chainring but it sets my OCD Off ?

|

4/25/2019 4:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2019 4:55 AM

mmckechnie wrote:

From the specializedgravity Instagram.





Not sure on Loic paint job TBH. South Africa bike?

|

4/25/2019 5:17 AM

Oz_Taylor wrote:

Not sure on Loic paint job TBH. South Africa bike?

World Champ colours!

|

4/25/2019 6:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2019 6:59 AM

CandyMuffin wrote:

World Champ colours!

I know what the rainbow stripes are, but when you separate all the colours like that, it doesn't look like the UCI stripes.

I guess it's just the way the stripes come to a point on top of the downtube. The yellow and green separated by black looks a lot like the South African flag to me.

But whatever, it's just paint.

|

4/25/2019 7:34 AM

Dylan wrote:

Someone at Scott is on a reverse mullet bike, I'm guessing Marine. I am genuinely surprised by the number of reverse mullet bikes.

I always assumed the industry picked 27.5" because it was halfway between 26" and 29", therefore, is there another wheel size in that range that is even more optimal? Metric wheel sizes for 2020?... Let's hope not

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by SCOTT DH Factory (@scottdhfactory) on


The 27.5 isn't truly halfway between 26 and 29, it's actually closer to 27". It was used because it was an existing French touring bike standard, not a truly new size. What we're seeing is that on DH bikes with lots of travel, the 29 rear is cumbersome. Also, even on shorter travel bikes, the longer chainstay of the 29" bikes is throwing off front/rear balance on smaller size frames. Riders who are smaller and/or move around a lot on the bike may find the 29"rear wheel limiting.

|

4/25/2019 7:38 AM

Similar rear to Banshee Legend, at first glance.

|

4/25/2019 7:45 AM

Dylan wrote:

Someone at Scott is on a reverse mullet bike, I'm guessing Marine. I am genuinely surprised by the number of reverse mullet bikes.

I always assumed the industry picked 27.5" because it was halfway between 26" and 29", therefore, is there another wheel size in that range that is even more optimal? Metric wheel sizes for 2020?... Let's hope not

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by SCOTT DH Factory (@scottdhfactory) on


JasonALap wrote:

The 27.5 isn't truly halfway between 26 and 29, it's actually closer to 27". It was used because it was an existing French touring bike standard, not a truly new size. What we're seeing is that on DH bikes with lots of travel, the 29 rear is cumbersome. Also, even on shorter travel bikes, the longer chainstay of the 29" bikes is throwing off front/rear balance on smaller size frames. Riders who are smaller and/or move around a lot on the bike may find the 29"rear wheel limiting.

Which is something a person like me would face. I am 5'10" but have a really long torso & short legs. Bikes have always fit me weird because where I hinge at my hips puts me at an odd balance.

My butt drags a 26" wheel & I've gotten a few scary skid marks from my 27.5" rear now trying to get my my weight back. I want to try a 29" DH rig but I already know I'd like the feel of a 29/27.5 combo more.

|

Trouble Maker. Here to spit truth in the form of sarcasm.

4/25/2019 7:47 AM

Dueling Banjos wrote:

Similar rear to Banshee Legend, at first glance.

The Demo is actually technically closer to the Sender with the cisor links (hidden near the bb)
But I see your point 'visually'

|

4/25/2019 7:49 AM

JasonALap wrote:

The 27.5 isn't truly halfway between 26 and 29, it's actually closer to 27". It was used because it was an existing French touring bike standard, not a truly new size. What we're seeing is that on DH bikes with lots of travel, the 29 rear is cumbersome. Also, even on shorter travel bikes, the longer chainstay of the 29" bikes is throwing off front/rear balance on smaller size frames. Riders who are smaller and/or move around a lot on the bike may find the 29"rear wheel limiting.

I think it mostly comes down to butt space for smaller riders to move around without getting buzzed by using the 27.5

|

4/25/2019 7:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2019 7:56 AM

Dueling Banjos wrote:

Similar rear to Banshee Legend, at first glance.

qblambda wrote:

The Demo is actually technically closer to the Sender with the cisor links (hidden near the bb)
But I see your point 'visually'

Agreed, the low slung shock and shapes are very similar to the banshee, as is that big upper link, but it's not actually a dual link design like the banshee, which is one of my favourite looking DH rigs. It's technically more like the Sender with the moto link as @qblambda said.

I wasn't really a fan of the Demo under Gwin or Brosnan but the way it was working under Bruni the last two seasons with the Ohlins changed my mind, I hope they manage to get this new design as dialed as the last one was.

|

4/25/2019 9:42 AM

|

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.

4/25/2019 10:21 AM

Loic's front tire looks to be a Sharpie'd out DHF, and appears to be 29, with a 650b Slaugher in back. I am guessing Specialized doesn't make 29er DH tires, which is why he's using Maxxis.

|

4/25/2019 10:58 AM

maribor world cup PIT BITS are now *really* up - format change
https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/PIT-BITS-Maribor-World-Cup-Downhill,2668

|

4/25/2019 12:56 PM

Loic has some version of the Hillbilly out back. However, sideknobs slightly different than current Grid/Black Dymnd design.
Interestingly Specialized doesn't have a DH version of the newer design hillbilly on their website. However, I think this tire he has says "DH" on it somewhere. Probably hybrid or proto.

|

4/25/2019 3:16 PM








|

4/25/2019 5:56 PM

Loris Vergier mechanic Pierre Alexander gives the rundown of his toolbox.

|

4/25/2019 7:58 PM

our DH bikes feature updated with more pics and audio about some of the bikes - https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/WORLD-CUP-DH-BIKES-Maribor,2669

|

4/26/2019 12:50 AM

RiderMikeCheck1 wrote:

Loic has some version of the Hillbilly out back. However, sideknobs slightly different than current Grid/Black Dymnd design.
Interestingly Specialized doesn't have a DH version of the newer design hillbilly on their website. However, I think this tire he has says "DH" on it somewhere. Probably hybrid or proto.

He's probably still running the older version of the Hillbilly, he used to run the older Butcher even after they released the newer one...

|

4/26/2019 2:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2019 2:23 AM

|

4/26/2019 2:40 AM

Pit Bits Part 2 are in from Maribor.
|

4/26/2019 9:56 AM

|

4/26/2019 11:26 AM

Dylan wrote:

Someone at Scott is on a reverse mullet bike, I'm guessing Marine. I am genuinely surprised by the number of reverse mullet bikes.

I always assumed the industry picked 27.5" because it was halfway between 26" and 29", therefore, is there another wheel size in that range that is even more optimal? Metric wheel sizes for 2020?... Let's hope not

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by SCOTT DH Factory (@scottdhfactory) on


JasonALap wrote:

The 27.5 isn't truly halfway between 26 and 29, it's actually closer to 27". It was used because it was an existing French touring bike standard, not a truly new size. What we're seeing is that on DH bikes with lots of travel, the 29 rear is cumbersome. Also, even on shorter travel bikes, the longer chainstay of the 29" bikes is throwing off front/rear balance on smaller size frames. Riders who are smaller and/or move around a lot on the bike may find the 29"rear wheel limiting.

"26in" measures 559mm or 22inches in diameter. "27.5in" measures 584mm or 23in and "29in" measures 622mm or 24.5inches. So yes 650b is closer to "26in". Overall diameter of 650b with typical 2.35in tire aka Maxxis 2.5 is around 708mm which is around 28in. So if you want to continue to call wheelsize by rim diameter plus tyre then 650b should be 28in.

|