Accessibility Widget: On | Off

2016 Fairdale Weekender MX w/ Suspension forks?

Create New Tag

3/1/2016 10:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2016 10:57 AM

I am looking at the Fairdale Weekender MX (Small), and I want to use it as a weekend fitness bike / travelling bike with a rear rack for pannier bags. But, I am wondering if it would be possible to put a short travel suspension fork on it to give it a smoother/softer front end feel when travelling on not so ideal roads. The website says its rigid fork measures at 406mm across all the frame sizes, what suspension work would be recommended for such a build?

Link to bike: http://fairdalebikes.com/bikes/2016-weekender-mx/

|

3/2/2016 9:17 PM

Looks like a rad ride! I've never heard of Fairdale before.

Looks like you'll need to track down a fork with a relatively long straight 1 1/8" steerer, which may be tough to do these days.

Photo

|

3/3/2016 7:14 AM

Any suspension fork on that bike will raise the front end and the bottom bracket. So you'll want to find a fork with the shortest axle to crown length as possible. I'll look through my stash.

|

3/3/2016 10:38 AM

Going to have to be a hybrid or 29er fork cause of the 700x42 tyres

|

3/3/2016 12:19 PM

So, if i don't care about the front end and bottom bracket getting raised a bit, I generally just need find a suspension for with a long straight 1 1/8" steerer tube?

What brands of suspension fork do you recommend for this kind of build/mod and features a straight steerer tube?

Is what i am trying to do complete absurd? A complete bike, designed around a rigid fork swapped for a suspension fork?

What are some draw backs to doing this?

|