Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Freeplay in headset?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/20/2010 1:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2011 5:12 PM

Newbie so forgive the ignorance about the vocabulary of the parts....

I've got a 2004-2005 Cannondale Gemini DH bike with an FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro "onepointfive" cartridge headset. The headset has play that I can't eliminate by tightening the top bolt (just makes it so tight that I can't steer...).

When I remove the handlebar bracket it looks like there's nothing between the headset's top cap/ring (the one with all the writing on it) and the top of the upper bearing. Furthermore, there is a gap between the outer diameter of the steering tube and the inner diameter of the upper bearing. Is this normal?

Seems to me there should be some kind of a ring or cone that would take up the gap and eliminate the freeplay. There appears to be one on the bottom anyway.

I would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this for me. I am in Burundi with no access to either spares or expertise, so if I'm gonna order a part it better be the right one!! smile

PS. I have self explanatory photos but don't know how to post... I can send in an email.

|

9/20/2010 8:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:19 AM

Sounds like you're missing a piece called the compression ring: http://webstore.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?taxid=235&layout=estoreproduct

|

9/21/2010 4:37 AM

Wow, Thanks for the fast and concise response!

From the looks of it, this is exactly what I need. I haven't yet explored the site beyond looking at the ring, but in the meantime maybe you can tell me: Does this set-up have any kind of seal or o-ring under or on top of the compression ring?

Seems there was something like that inside, but it came out in pieces.

David

|