2951 and 29er DH bikes

Simcik
Edited Date/Time 8/16/2014 11:17am
There is a bit of a debate starting under the photo, lets discuss it here
|
alfarac
11/13/2009 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2011 5:10pm
Well, against the DH 29er right now. Until I see them perform better, and that would be after they address the concerns I have with the strength a 29' rim has and also with a higher center of gravity a 29er frame would be at, and most importantly, from an industry standpoint, until the companies actually start making these bikes and market them so there are viable options for consumers, there is no sense in putting them even close to the DH 26ers....

Simcik
11/13/2009 4:05pm
I think this is the first logical argument against them I have seen yet. Well said. Im glad you didnt say, it looks weird, the bike doesnt have enough travel or it has wonky geometry as the basis for your argument.

Getting a legit tire was a big step, but no sturdy rims yet. To accomplish a stiff wheel, a big flanged hub would likely be needed to stiffen up the wheel enough as well. COG will be raised about an inch, certain single pivot bikes have pretty top heavy designs with shocks up near the TT

Marketing will be the major driving force behind this movement until it is proved to be faster in a DH application
11/14/2009 12:02am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2009 12:03am
The wheelbase would be longer too, making it more stable at speed but not as flickable through corners. A bigger wheel would be harder to accelerate with when pedaling out of corners as well.
11/14/2009 10:36am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:18am
Wake me up when someone prototypes a bike with real man specs:

-36" wheels that are not 650B compatitble
-high bike specific frameset
-high bike jousting pole holder
-fixed gear
-lugged
-gear box (yes I realize it's a fixie, but if Jeff has the time....)
-carbon fiber
-hammerschmidt compatible (yes, I realize it's a fixie with a gear box, but if Jeff has the time....)
-VPP4 It's the new rigid
-tapered seat tube
-matching Chrome courier bag and manpri pants

Maybe instead of playing grabass with a this POC, Jeff could have spent the time working some of the kinks out of the new VPP2 lower linkage/suspension. I'm getting tired of being teased for owning a 2009 Intense hardtail when I paid for a full suspension frame.

Having owned three 29'ers in the recent past, I would never want that wheel near a DH track. I don't have enough time to rebuild wheels after every ride.

Total Gnar
11/15/2009 7:49pm
I don´t really understand why it seems logical to jump up to a 29" wheel. 650b seems like a better next step. You get some of the advantages of the bigger wheel without some of the disadvantages of it. Jamis is coming out with a 650b bike in their 2010 line up and I´ve talked to a few people who´ve ridden it and they raved about it. While this bike isn´t a DH bike, it´s an All Mountain bike, the test riding was done on some of the punishing trails at Diablo.
11/17/2009 6:17am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:18am
Total Gnar wrote:
I don´t really understand why it seems logical to jump up to a 29" wheel. 650b seems like a better next step. You get some of...
I don´t really understand why it seems logical to jump up to a 29" wheel. 650b seems like a better next step. You get some of the advantages of the bigger wheel without some of the disadvantages of it. Jamis is coming out with a 650b bike in their 2010 line up and I´ve talked to a few people who´ve ridden it and they raved about it. While this bike isn´t a DH bike, it´s an All Mountain bike, the test riding was done on some of the punishing trails at Diablo.
IMO the next logical/better step in 29'er evolution would have been for Intense to add a bottle opener to their derailleur hangers.
After that all of their factory DH riders would have to sport grotesque neck beards and stop bathing. (Insert any references to patchouli here.)
Once they figure out how to hide their riders weed on the bike, then they should have started tinkering with the larger wheel.
They've obviously skipped a number of crucial steps in the development of this prototype so I can only assume it is inherently flawed....and it runs a Manitou fork.
Simcik
11/17/2009 9:55am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2009 9:55am
Haha! Wow and Haha are all that needs to be said in regards to that
MmmBones
2/11/2010 12:37am Edited Date/Time 10/4/2011 5:10pm
Just as cool as 29" DH. Dudes and Dudettes, may I present...

Gregg Watts Signature Edition Freestyle 29mm ShoeBladez featuring NASCAResque GRFX. paisley pocket rag included.

kremecheze
4/21/2011 7:52am
how many people here have actually owned a 29'er? i come from a dritjumping, motocross backround and mainly ride 26 and 20' wheels.i had knee surgery and was force to ride an xc bike for a while.i decided to go with a 29'er and let me tell you it is awesome. you do not ,notice an acceleration issue, ive done some rugged terrain with rockgradens and drops and the rims hold up fine. let me add that i am 6'4 and always have an issue of feeling on top of a bike instead of in it like most shorter people. i myself would like to ride a 29'er downhill to see how i like it. but if i was doing more freeride stuff i would stick with my 26 inch wheels. lets be serious most people who downhill can not huck a barspin over a 20 foot gap.

the best answer to this question is that its all about personal preference

Post a reply to: 2951 and 29er DH bikes

The Latest