brakeless for park and street

Related:
Create New Tag

11/15/2009 5:30 PM

there is tones of topics on different sites about this i want to think what you all thought.

ps im not asking for advice i know what i think

|

11/15/2009 6:19 PM

im going brakeless next year

|

ray charles

11/16/2009 12:03 AM

This is a every other day post on vital bmx.On the up side,no cables to mess up your spins.Down side,every state requires brakes that skid,crash into any thing and it's your fault no matter what,and it's rough on your cool logo shoes.
Theres just to many hills,people,and cars were I live to ride around without brakes.Maybe you could mount them on your down tube like a shifter.

|

11/16/2009 1:17 PM

i rode my 20 w/o brakes last winter at a skatepark i was familiar with and it was incredibly fun. it helped foster commitment to certain lines/tricks (once you're in, you have to go). was fun for the winter. i have since put the brake back on, fyi.

|

11/16/2009 3:49 PM

I sold my BMX cause I couldnt put a disc brake on it....

I understand the idea behind it. For someone like your self who is more into the big mountain stuff, it doesnt make much sense. Like spomer said, it helps with commitment at places you feel comfortable with, but can certainly be dangerous if you are not competent or are riding somewhere unfamiliar. Im a big fan of two brakes even, when out dirt jumping, a single brake can lead to skidding and trail bosses hate people who wreck their trails.

To me, brakeless is best in the park or riding street.

|

11/16/2009 5:47 PM

yes i am a big m. guy but i also ride lots of street. for street i go brakeless just started to. i did it to help make me do stuff and it has worked. i have found that it is help my big m. riding just because my mind is now trained to go for more stuff

|

11/16/2009 5:48 PM

but i will always have 2 brakes on my big m bike

|

11/16/2009 7:26 PM

303mtb wrote:

yes i am a big m. guy but i also ride lots of street. for street i go brakeless just started to. i did it to help make me do stuff and it has worked. i have found that it is help my big m. riding just because my mind is now trained to go for more stuff

Sorry I didnt read that this was regarding park and street, which is basically the only place I could think brakeless would make sense

|

11/16/2009 8:39 PM

yea anywhere else would be stupid

|

11/17/2009 12:50 PM

I think some of the styliest 20" riders are brakeless. After watching bmxers at edora, the ones that ride without brakes are by far the smoothest and most dialed riders in the park. It helps develop better judgement of speed needed for gaps since you don't have brakes to check your speed with. Definitely more dangerous at first but it helps riding skills ridiculously

|

11/17/2009 2:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/17/2009 2:08 PM

dtron wrote:

I think some of the styliest 20" riders are brakeless. After watching bmxers at edora, the ones that ride without brakes are by far the smoothest and most dialed riders in the park. It helps develop better judgement of speed needed for gaps since you don't have brakes to check your speed with. Definitely more dangerous at first but it helps riding skills ridiculously

Wouldn't those same riders shred just the same with a brake? Just playing devil's advocate

|

11/17/2009 5:47 PM

Obviously those same riders would shred the same, but they would ride differently than riders who normally ride with brakes. Riding brakeless focuses more on chain tension through the pedals for balance rather than pulling your brake and balancing over the rear wheel. I just think that riding brakeless every once in awhile does some serious good, just gotta make sure its in the right setting (i.e. park, street)

|

11/17/2009 7:04 PM

Hmmm, I guess I should give it a try and see what you mean. Ive always had a respect for those guys who shred brakeless, never understood why they do it, makes sense though, thanks Dtron

|

11/18/2009 8:44 AM

it should be for every one to diside for them selves. what ever feel best to you is how you should ride! for me i dont ride with out brakes because i feel like im in more controle if i have them and i've watched tones of bmx just run into each other cause they could stop fast anough but thats just me..........

|

4/1/2010 7:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2010 11:42 PM

It takes different strokes to move the world. My BMX bike has a brake...my trials bike doesn't it. Its just bike riding. Have fun and cut the decisive bull.

|

4/7/2010 1:51 AM

i've been brakeless on and off for about 4 years now.

i think riding brakeless helps being smoother in a park and on street and gives better flow too but you have to be aware that you can't stop as good as if ou had 2 brakes and you will also go trough shoes more quickly

|