crazy old disc brakes i saw at the swap meet

sspomer
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2014 11:14am
check these things out. has anyone ever seen them before? LOL @ the adapter/fork mount!

post your random bike and part pics here!

|
sspomer
11/18/2011 2:07pm
whoa, that's pretty cool. thanks for the link!
Big Bird
11/18/2011 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2011 10:41am
The caliper almost looks like a Chinese model that I adapted for use on the Flea sub-mini bike. Two piece ball and ramp job. Here's a link to it on You Tube. I hope that I did it right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKpmHxkxss0. I helped to design it and built the first and only fifty of them. I've got an old Amp disk brake with the Another Bike Shop Rock Shox Judy adapter. Any collectors looking for one?
11/18/2011 5:23pm
Any of yoos ever have one of these?

This little gem had a hydraulic piston, but was cable actuated; a floating caliper so it rubbed CONSTANTLY; and the worst seals in the business, so even when you had it working right it would blow up and spew all over your rotor, which was held onto a proprietary hub with just three bolts. Nice one RS, thanks for that. At least you made up for it by buying Avid.
The-Hoff
11/18/2011 9:50pm
I've worked on a set of those that were on some old road bike a few years back. All I really remember is they were a complete pain in the ass.
Big Bird
11/19/2011 8:46am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2011 8:48am
I had no idea that the first one was a Shimano unit. Slightly ahead of their time. As for the other one, Rock Shox bought the design from AMP. Before all suspension forks had disc tabs, Another Bike Shop prototyped and sold a few CNC'd brackets that mounted to the bolt on the bottom of a Judy fork.
syngltrkmnd
11/20/2011 1:20pm
Any of yoos ever have one of these? [img]http://www.firstflightbikes.com/_borders/GTLTSDisc.JPG[/img] This little gem had a hydraulic piston, but was cable actuated; a floating caliper so it rubbed...
Any of yoos ever have one of these?

This little gem had a hydraulic piston, but was cable actuated; a floating caliper so it rubbed CONSTANTLY; and the worst seals in the business, so even when you had it working right it would blow up and spew all over your rotor, which was held onto a proprietary hub with just three bolts. Nice one RS, thanks for that. At least you made up for it by buying Avid.
I rather unfondly remember working in a shop around the time of those brakes/forks. Hearing customers use the phrase "I have cable-actuated hydraulic brakes" would always make my face scrunch up like someone just farted.

Post a reply to: crazy old disc brakes i saw at the swap meet

The Latest