Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Rockshox Lyric

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2012 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:22 AM

I just picked up an 2010 Specialized Enduro Expert with the Rockshox Lyric fork on it. I've only taken it on a quick test ride but noticed that the forks travel drops to about 1 1/2" maybe 2" of travel after a few minutes of riding on flat ground. I took it over to the universities bike shop and they adjusted the air pressure but the fork is still not rebounding the way I expected it to.

From what I've found out some possibilities for this is that the fork is not adjusted correctly as it could be a mixture of travel/rebound/dampening settings. The seals are blown and it needs and oil change. Or I need to have the fork rebuilt.

Has anyone had problems like this? Can anyone explain the adjustment settings or suggest an adjustment that could correct this?

|

9/22/2012 8:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2012 9:36 AM

It's hard to say without feeling it myself, but here are a few options. Since you say that the travel drops and doesn't rebound right, I'd say that it's a problem with the solo air spring system. A seal separating the positive and negative air chambers may be blown, allowing too much air into the negative chamber. I haven't been into the air spring side of mine, but it's probably an easy fix for a competent mechanic. Probably a new o-ring kit or a new air spring cartridge. Another possibility is the damping is improperly adjusted. Too much gate (I keep mine all the way open.) or too much low speed compression damping would cause it to feel stiff. But you said it's not rebounding the way you expect, so maybe not that. I suppose that a piece of something that shouldn't be in the oil could be blocking the rebound circuit. In any case, I'd have it rebuilt asap so that you can ride it asap. New oil deffinately, new main seals if it's leaking and take a look at the air spring. If your local bike shop has a good suspension tech they can probably take care of it. But you might as well just send it back to Rock Shox for some factory love.

|