Lars Tribus Masters Challenge benefitting the Arthritis Foundation

tmx
Edited Date/Time 8/16/2014 8:45pm
"For Immediate Release:

Lars Tribus Masters Challenge

In support of the Arthritis Foundation the Gravity East Series is proud to announce the Lars Tribus Masters Challenge to be held during the Gravity East Series downhill race at the Windham Mountain Bike World Cup Festival July 7-10 in Windham, N.Y. with 100% of the entry fees donated to the foundation.

This is a special Masters Category charity downhill race in support of the Arthritis Foundation. Arthritis is the nation’s # 1 cause of disability. Fitness and exercise are an important component of treatment and therapy, with cycling considered an arthritis friendly exercise.

One of the foundation’s “Heroes”, professional downhill mountain bike racer Lars Tribus has become a spokesman and avid supporter of the foundation. He was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis at the age of 9 and battled symptoms throughout his childhood. When he was 12, he was told by his doctor he’d spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. The doctor got it half right…he did spend his life on wheels, just not sitting down.

Eligible participants are all 30+ men and women Pro DH current USAC license holders. Entry fee is $80.00 and if racers are also entered in the Gravity East series race the fee will be discounted to $40.00. In addition all 30+ Category 1 – 3 racers must be entered in the Gravity East series race at Windham would also then be eligible to participate and the entry fee will be $30.00.

There will be a minimum Pro purse of $500.00 and plaques awarded to the top 3 positions in both pro and amateur categories. In addition there will be special winners jerseys provided by Nema for both the Pro and amateur winners plus product prizes from Deity. For additional information please visit the Gravity East Series website at www.gravityeastseries.com

Please come out and support the fight against arthritis and thank you to our sponsors Nema, Deity and the Windham Area Recreation Foundation.

Registration Info:

Onsite Registration Only for this Charity Race
Thursday - Saturday 7/7/2011- through 7/9/2011
9-4pm 7-7-2011 though 7/8/11
9-1:00pm 7/9/2011
For Practice and Race Schedule visit http://www.racewindham.com "

Additional information being posted in the RM thread here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3652807#post3652807
|
Tedman5
6/24/2011 4:34am
This is an excellent idea!
I'm in for sure! Because I, like Lars, have suffered with Rhuematoid Arthritis.
When I left DH racing in 99 due to a head injury, I was suddenly tripped up again with a diagnosis of RA in 2005.
After obtaining an excellent rhuematologist and being prescribed some excellent meds, I slowly progressed back to a normal life and regained function. I was able to get back to doing the things I loved such as biking, backpacking and simply lifting my children to hold them.
I returned to DH as a Cat1 40+ racer last season and have been able to do well with no pain or flares!
RA is a mysterious, autoimmune disease that affects the joints and immune system. With medication, proper nutrition, and exercise, one can live an abundant life with RA.
In an attempt to further understand the human body in sickness and in health I chose to go to nursing school 2 years ago to help people who suffer from illness and trauma.
I am also a patient advocate for the SPEAK network, in cooperation with Abbott Pharmacueticals, which allows me to engage in speaking events, advocacy and awareness, communicate with newly diagnosed patients and serve as hope for those who have lost hope with this dreadful and painful disease.
I hope all of you that are able participate in this event to help raise money for the Arthritis Foundation. Its for a good cause and I am happy to see this sport doing something worthwhile for charity.

Post a reply to: Lars Tribus Masters Challenge benefitting the Arthritis Foundation

The Latest