Accessibility Widget: On | Off

Getting dirt jump bike. Need help??

Related:
Create New Tag

5/24/2012 1:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:21 AM

Hey, I've been riding bmx for a while now and I am quite good at it. Anyway i want to sell my bmx bike to get a dirt jump bike, but I'm not really sure where to start looking and what to look for. I want a nice strong bike that can handle big dirt jumps and I'm also planning on taking it to the skate park occasionally to whip around the bowl and do a couple of airs smile so yea should I be looking for a hard tail bike or something else and can anyone recommend me some good bikes to check out? Also, I was searching around and I found a gyro type thing for hydraulic disk brakes. Does anyone have any experience with these and can anyone tell me if it is worth getting.
Thanks

|

5/25/2012 1:07 AM

??????????

|

5/29/2012 10:57 AM

Yes, it sound like you want a hardtail. Since you came to MTB from BMX, like me, I'm guessing you want something that's like a BMX bike, only bigger. As far as brands, NS, Transition and Black Market are really good, but also very expensive. If you have the budget, get one of those. Otherwise, look at Norco or KHS. Also, you may want to try and find a lightly used bike for sale near you. I did this and found a $1500 bike that I payed $400 for. And in regards to the gyro, don't use one, simply because it's for hydraulic brakes. Hydraulic brakes are a pain in the ass to bleed. Just get mechanical disk brakes. They're more reliable, and cheaper too.

|

5/29/2012 11:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2016 10:21 AM

Lots of bikes and specs in the Dirt Jump section of the Vital product guide.

If you're going new, plan to spend $1000-1600 for something quality.

|