Specialized Stumpy EVO comp or Giant Reign 1??

3/22/2013 10:20am
the reign has no ISCG tabs, so if you've got roots and rocks and risk throwing chains regularly you may regret not getting the stumpy. love my stumpy, have not ridden the reign but it has a proven reputation for good handling
bturman
3/23/2013 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2013 2:16pm
Yo dude, we did indeed test out a Stumpy EVO during Test Sessions, though it was the carbon version. Our guys loved it. Looking at their notes, both Matt and Jess were raving about how fun it is to ride and how well it descends. Expect the review to go up by the 1st.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/22-Trail-Bikes-from-Vital-MTB-T…

No clue on the Reign. I haven't ridden one.
astrizzle
3/23/2013 5:46pm
Thanks, I'm really starting to favor the Stumpy now anyways. The only thing I have left to decide is what size to get, I'm 5'11" with a 33inch inseam and I am going to put on a super short Holzfeller DH stem once I get it. Think I should go with the large?? I made the mistake of going to small on my last bike so I don't want to make that mistake again but idk if they run big anyways. Thanks for the recommendation!
mrpowerjd
3/23/2013 9:04pm
Get at least a large. I'm 5-8 and I ride a large Enduro Expert Evo. The Stumpy Evo is a rad bike; so is the Reign. My first ride on a 29er was the Stumpy FSR Elite. Considering that I love slacker geometry and I still loved the Stumpy, I know I would have a party all day long on the Stumpy Evo. You will get a slightly nicer parts spec on the Reign (quality, not brand). Giant's Maestro suspension design is very well-regarded by all of my friends and my wife who ride it. That said, I'm a Specialized kinda guy myself.
3/23/2013 10:52pm
yeah I second the large recommendation. The friend of mine who sold me on the Stumpy Evo rides a large and he's the same size as you..I'm 5'8 ish and the medium fits well.
astrizzle
4/3/2013 6:27am
bturman wrote:
Yo dude, we did indeed test out a Stumpy EVO during Test Sessions, though it was the carbon version. Our guys loved it. Looking at their...
Yo dude, we did indeed test out a Stumpy EVO during Test Sessions, though it was the carbon version. Our guys loved it. Looking at their notes, both Matt and Jess were raving about how fun it is to ride and how well it descends. Expect the review to go up by the 1st.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/22-Trail-Bikes-from-Vital-MTB-T…

No clue on the Reign. I haven't ridden one.
Any word on the review? I can't wait to check it out!!
bturman
4/3/2013 7:49am
astrizzle wrote:
Any word on the review? I can't wait to check it out!!
Should be up this afternoon!
7/10/2013 10:38pm
If your local trails require lots of pedaling uphill go for the stumpy.. I had it before and it really is a joy to climb with..
but it's more fun to descend on the Reign.. I think the Reign is more comparable to the Specialized Enduro
HTH

Post a reply to: Specialized Stumpy EVO comp or Giant Reign 1??

The Latest