Accessibility Widget: On | Off
Related:
Create New Tag
Sp34k Sp34k
1/15/2015 11:14 AM

Dear VitalMTB,

I'm wondering about who writes the Bike reviews on your site?
Is it Vital MTB who does the testing and writes the review OR is it the person who bought and owns the bike?

The reason why I ask is because I'm thinking about buying a Specialized Epic Carbon 29" and there is no review of it on Vital MTB.

If I decide to purchase the bike - can I let Vital MTB borrow it to write a review and help others interested in the bike or am I the one who should write a review? smile

Just a chilled, laid back kinda rider.

Personal portfolio:
www.Sp34k.com
www.5p45k.deviantart.com

bturman bturman
1/15/2015 11:34 AM

The reviews on Vital are a mixture of professionally created reviews by our staff and "member" reviews by riders like you. It's easy to tell the difference by looking at the title of the review:

Photo

Photo

Vital's reviews also typically have a "Tested" graphic within the body of the review like this. Member reviews may or may not have photos.

Photo

We'll feature both types of reviews on the homepage. Member reviews are clearly labeled.

We welcome you to write your own reviews of the bikes/parts/apparel you have, and actually reward the top member reviewer with a gift card every month to say thank for your input.

Sp34k Sp34k
1/15/2015 11:38 AM

Ah thank you for clearing that up for me bturman!

This leads me to a new question, it might be a stupid one but I'll give it a go!
If I order the specialized bike, would it be a good idéa to ship it to a vital mtb staff who can review it for the site?

The biggest problem is my location in Denmark, shipping outside EU can be pretty darn expensive but its worth asking the question as I doubt I'm qualified to make a decent review.

Personal portfolio:
www.Sp34k.com
www.5p45k.deviantart.com

bturman bturman
1/15/2015 11:44 AM

Thanks very much for your offer, but we'll source the bike direct from Specialized should we decide to review that model.

We do value member reviews a lot, and I'm sure the typical rider does to. They offer a perspective we can't always provide - you purchased the bike, you service it, and it's possible that you ride it in a different way in different terrain than we do. Plus, wouldn't you like your bike to arrive all shiny and new?!

Sp34k Sp34k
1/15/2015 11:49 AM

I see your point and I appreciate any review I find (professional or not).
I would however love to recieve the bike all shiny and new but I'd like more for other riders to have a good review of the bike which I cannot provide. It is a lot of money (in my eyes) for a bike so it would suck for another rider to spend that much money on a bike they have NO review on.... (it's the situation I'm in tbh).

We're all connected somehow since we share the same interest. If I can ship my bike to someone inside Europe (a vitalmtb staff or someone who is really trusted by the staff), I'd love to make that "sacrifice" and not being "FIRST" to ride it ;-)

Personal portfolio:
www.Sp34k.com
www.5p45k.deviantart.com

bturman bturman
1/15/2015 11:57 AM

That's very considerate of you.

In our experience Specialized makes great bikes, especially at the high end like you're considering. Just make sure the bike's target application aligns with your riding intentions (in this case XC racing).

Here's a review of the bike you may find helpful. James does a pretty good job with his reviews, especially in this genre: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-specialized-epic-expert-carbon-world-cup-48494/

Sp34k Sp34k
1/15/2015 12:03 PM

I made the mistake of buying a Specialized Enduro Evo Expert 2014 which I regret deeply.. It was my first time trying something else but XC. I really disliked it.

It's awesome to see people ride enduro and downhill but doing it myself - nah its not me.. I prefer the more relaxed xc wink

If I somehow can help with anything when I save up the last bit of money and sell my Enduro bike and get my hands on the Epic expert bike, just let me know..

Thank you for being so helpful and kind, I appreciate that smile
I haven't seen that review before so it seems like I've got some night-night-reading to do.

Personal portfolio:
www.Sp34k.com
www.5p45k.deviantart.com

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry