Electric Santa Cruz V10c DH Bike? KRANKED E-RIDES 37

A Santa Cruz V10c with a 2400 watt electric drive system for getting you up the mountain? Is this the future of MTB? Watch the video and decide for yourself.

KRANKED E-BIKES has added their electric drive system to Nomads, too.

Discuss the use of electric bikes on the trail in our forum here

Related:
  • acjones225

9/18/2013 12:17 PM

I assume that the motor is fitted to a DH bike (DH means Downhill) so you are able to get back the top of the mountain in order for you to ride down very steep and technical tracks multiple times in one riding season.

The current method for getting back to the top of the hill/mountain is via an uplift vehicle which maybe a van or van with trailer or in holiday resorts... a ski lift.

In the event that the above modes of transportation not being available, it would appear a perfect solution for members of the cycling community who enjoy the more extreme end of the sport.

Anyone......can ride up a hill.....

• sAFETY

9/17/2013 12:33 PM

Electric bikes are lame, but they make a pretty sweet kid's bike though: http://grompatrol.com/kranked-ripper-hard-tail/

• walkinwiki

9/17/2013 10:30 AM

If you want a motor get a moto!

• Nicholast

9/17/2013 8:01 AM

I really hope these don not catch on. If they do, I foresee some serious trail access conflicts arising as owners take them on non-motorized trails touting them as mountain bikes. I'm sure the advocacy groups who have it out for mountain bikers will thank us for the easy ammunition for getting us banned and our designation changed from mechanized travel to motorized.

Also, it seems like a pretty successful way to remove a lot of the "athlete" from the sport. :-/

• jbath

9/17/2013 7:43 AM

Quality of ad aside, I do find it strange that so many people are so outraged about attaching a motor to a bike to get uphill, but at the same time shuttling and chairlifts are an accepted part of modern riding. Hell, we applaud Stevie Smith's mom for driving him up all those years. If this thing was limited to going up shuttle roads I'd have no problem with it -- and who needs an engine on the way down anyways? But where it would get messy is guys riding up singletrack, which would inevitably happen.

• scriz

9/17/2013 9:22 AM

Unfortunately riding up singletrack is what is showcased in the video. They are not marketing it as simply a shuttle-assist motor. Where I ride it has taken decades of erosion studies, community meetings, and volunteer trail stewardship to get mountain biking to be seen in a semi-positive light. High speed bi-directional trails would be a nightmare from both a usage and design standpoint. It seems like an über lightweight, low-power shuttle assist motor would be a smarter product.

• hotrodmarlin

9/17/2013 6:46 AM

Say whatever you want but Looks like FUN to me!

• fatfingur

9/17/2013 3:39 AM

This is just lazy.

• DoubleCrownKing

9/17/2013 2:10 AM

Somebody please stop them! This is so retarted, if you want an engine, buy a motorbike!!

• jecc.terr

9/17/2013 1:54 AM

nope.nope.nope.

• commanderagl

9/16/2013 10:00 PM

• missinglink

9/16/2013 9:46 PM

And if you act now we'll include a Ginsu knife and Sham wow with your 100 payments of $19.95....

• Maverickdh005

9/16/2013 8:37 PM

Sometimes this industry is so lame, its biking for Fooks sake, that means pedalling ya bike! HELLO, electric bikes are ok I guess for commuters but again ya have to ask ya self has the world turned into a bunch of fat lazy arsed degenerates. Get off the couch and pedal a bike, big wheels electrics bloody hell, people trying to re invent something that doesn't need reinventing just evolving, pity humans don't evolve either instead have just become fat lazy and sick!

• Joe_Graney

9/16/2013 7:55 PM

I have one of these, I think i posted a pic of it with a kid trailer attached. I also own a 50cc ruckus, a husky TE450, and YZ250F, and other mountain bikes. I don't feel super comfortable riding this on "legal" trails, but since there are almost none of those where I live, its not an issue. Its fun as hell. It doesn't replace mountain biking for me, or motorcycling.

Its just another fun toy. I put 2.5 Hookworms on it, and its the most fun thing to rip around town on, and I don't have the fear of getting pulled over and being ticketed for being a hooligan like I do on the supermoto. I pull my daughter and we pass roadies (with the motor off, pedaling like hell) and have a laugh.

lighten up

• Dave_Camp

9/17/2013 8:56 AM

Sounds like fun- but would you have bought it at full price? I'm guessing that build they have is a $12k investment for a weak motorcycle/heavy dh bike.

Too much compromise in these E-bikes right now.

• KingDnuts

9/16/2013 6:52 PM

This makes me laugh inside to think some poser might buy this and think hes pro-rider getting pushed around, does that make my grandmother pro? i wonder if Rascal will make a E-bike motor soon? then ill buy it!!!

• gotdurt

9/16/2013 6:42 PM

First of all, terrible commercial... what's with the chick? That said, I think it would be a blast to ride up a mountain as fast as I can go down, on trails that I can't ride my motorcycle on. Those of you that think it's some sort of sacrilege to ride up with the aid of a motor, remember that the next time you shuttle or buy a lift ticket...

• alexarmanetti

9/16/2013 6:16 PM

That's the stupidest excuse for a mountain bike. If it has a motor it's more of a motorcycle. I don't like it. Plus, could you imagine to listening to that motor wale while you're going through a flat section or trying to go faster on a little bit of DH?

• unskilled

9/16/2013 6:07 PM

I wonder what product support will be like in 3 years, 2 years after they go under.

• Northwest

9/16/2013 5:58 PM

I love the over-DRAMA! This video is like an intro to a Kranked movie. Classic Bjørn Enga. Looks like a sick non-mountain bike!

P.S. Bjørn should shoot a Brett Tippie video on that thing.

• D. Summertime

9/16/2013 5:45 PM

looks super fun but that is not mtb. as soon as you put a motor on a bike it turns into a type of motorcycle.
    YOU HAVE TO EARN YOUR TURNS! not rely on a little engine to push your lazy butt up a hill!

• alejandro.vidal.3726

9/16/2013 5:44 PM

Lame...

And NOT mountain biking by the way.