Riding the Zerode G-1 37

Mikey Haderer runs through the Zerode G-1 downhill bike, featuring a gearbox design. The frameset uses a Shimano Alfine 8-speed commuter hub and trigger shifter in its high-pivot design. Is gear box the future? If they look like this, I sure hope so!

Spec and Geometry Highlights
9.25-inches of travel
64.5-degree head angle
14-inch bottom bracket height
1.5-inch head tube (AngleSet compatible)
12x150 rear axle and 83mm BB shell
Adjustable geared hub mount
Frameset price: $4650 NZD (about $3600 USD) includes Fox DHX RC4 shock, Shimano Alfine hub and shifter, rear cog, chain tensioner and carbon downtube guard.

Credit: Jason Van Horn
  • Dirtstar59

12/1/2011 11:33 AM

Glad the URT comment got editied.

GT did not use a Gear box, they used a shimano 8 speed nexus, just like this bike ..with a transfer chain, , just like this bike ....wtih a patented idler wheel that positioned the chain to locate along the swingarm to cancel out pedal feedback...just like this bike....with a symmettric rear hub and shock actuating linkage a to tune the rate and a very high pivot to optimize the wheel....just like this bike......

Nicolai is true "gearbox" design in my book....

• scottyl

12/1/2011 11:17 AM

The GT IT1 was basically a URT with a gearbox at the pivot point, the zerode is a completely different kettle of fish.

*EDIT* actually, WRONG. Not a URT. Still very different though *EDIT*

But yeah, they both have gearboxes. So did the Lahar, another kickass Kiwi design.

• Redwoodrider

12/1/2011 11:13 AM

I thought that looked like Pacifica, oh yeah, neat bike

• Dirtstar59

12/1/2011 11:10 AM

Agreet the GT was not pretty....but " pourly" (poorly) thought iout ? .....not....it had a lot of innovation that these folks are claiming.....I guess beacuse GT is not "cool" anymore people dismiss the product...unfortunate...and in 1998 the GT Gearbox got three mag covers and won many awards. ...important to remember history when innovation claims are made....

• YoYo

4/27/2012 5:01 AM

Possibly GT copied Lahar anyway. and BCD was before both I think, even Nicolai maybe.

• kdiff

12/1/2011 9:55 AM

I recently got a chance to ride a Zerode on a short rocky trail and have to say it was quite impressive through the rocks. A few times I aimed for the rougher and less ideal lines just to see how it would react and it didn't seem to phase the bike at all and it remained confident and kept accelerating. The small chainring was also nice. It was a bit strange to be pounding through the rocks and not hear the chain. I didn't get much of an opportunity to test it's cornering or jumping characteristics. Before trying the bike I was a bit skeptical, but I'm now pretty interested it. It's definitely worth looking into.

• Daniel_Goss

12/1/2011 9:50 AM

Wow, simple and effective, I wanna ride one!

• mtloldskooler

12/1/2011 9:36 AM

I love it...so simple and clean. I think it is the way of the future, and agree that proprietary designs are usually overly complicated alien technology. And it's an unbelievably quiet bike...what's not to love?

• WorleyGlory01

12/1/2011 9:32 AM

I love this bike! Its nice to see more videos and articles coming out about it. I love that it is compatible with current DH bike component standards and as mentioned earlier the fact that it uses a Shimano hub instead of a proprietary design is an added bonus. Hopefully this bike is a look into what DH bikes will be like in the future because aesthetically and functionally this is the first gearbox bike that I would seriously consider buying. Great work Zerode!

• OCsponger587

12/1/2011 9:05 AM

yeah but that gt was awful looking and pourly thought out

• Dirtstar59

12/1/2011 8:55 AM

Nice package....however this was done before with all the same benefis and pricnciples by GT with the IT-1 in 2007, and...FTR.... the initial concept was shown in 1998 at Interbike in Anaheim.

• mtbfree

12/1/2011 8:52 AM

Very cool... probably the first gear-box bike that I would actually consider purchasing (if they weren't so expensive, haha). Definitely like that it's just a Shimano Alfine mounted in the frame rather than some proprietary gearbox that nobody has a clue how to work on.

• akachlakev

12/1/2011 8:44 AM

@ MattPatt...The MT8's are pretty good, they're super light. I feel like they fade a bit on long trails that are kinda braking intensive, but otherwise they're very powerful. They're also really easy to bleed which is a definite plus!

• Simcik

12/1/2011 8:18 AM

That bike looks sweet! A buddy of mine road his bike across Australia, then NZ. He stayed with the owner/designer of Zerode and rode the bikes for about a week. He is converted and will likely be buying one soon. Definitely interested to see one in person

• Scrub

12/1/2011 8:15 AM

Sweet ride Mikey!

• MattPatt

12/1/2011 7:49 AM

Not sure if Mikey's reading, but if so, can I ask how the Mugura MT8's are working for you for DH?