First Look: 2013 Yeti SB95 Carbon
The biggest little brand from Colorado is proud to release their latest ride - the Yeti SB95 Carbon. Designed, tested, and refined by guys that shut down the office for an hour and a half each day to go ride the bikes they build, the SB95C represents a culmination of everything they've been working on for the past several years.
Originally only available as an aluminum model, the SB95 has been long due for the carbon upgrade. This new ride is substantially lighter than the alloy SB95 - nearly two pounds(!) lighter in fact. That's huge, and the weight difference is quite noticeable. Just like it's little brother, the SB66C, the carbon ride is livelier, snappy, poppier, stiffer, and all-around improved. Oh, and it looks drop dead sexy. On the trail, we were immediately at home on this bike. It feels great, pedals well, rails when you lean it over, and can get as aggressive as you can dish out.
The SB95C relies on the tried and true dual-link Switch Technology suspension system for bump duties, which gives the bike a number of advantages. The key to the system resides just above the bottom bracket. As the bike moves through its travel, the rotation of a fully-sealed eccentric link switches directions. By doing so, it allows the bike to have an initially rearward axle path to counteract pedaling forces, resisting bob and helping with square edge hits. Later in the stroke, the link switches direction, shortening the chainstay length and preventing further chain growth.
SB95 Carbon Features
- High Modulus Carbon Fiber Main Frame and Swing Arm
- Switch Technology Patent-Pending Suspension System
- Fully Sealed Eccentric System
- Oversized Pivot Pins with Enduro Max Bearings
- Splined Bb Shell Accepts Removable ISCG 03/05 Tabs
- Tapered Inset Headtube (44mm/56mm)
- Dropouts Allow for 135mm Qr Wheel or 142mm X 12mm
- Post-mount Rear Brake Tab
- Internal Cable Routing on Rear Triangle
- Custom Chain-slap Guards
- Cable Stops for Height Adjustable Seat Post
- Direct Mount Front Derailleur
Hop on board the SB95C with Mike West for a ride in gorgeous Fruita, Colorado - a place that's absolutely perfect for this bike.
- Travel: 5-inches (127mm)
- Weight: 5.75-pounds (2.6kg)
- Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, X-large
- Colors: Turquoise, Black
- Rear Shock: FOX CTD Adjust (7.5”x2.0” / 191 Mm X 51 Mm)
- Bottom Bracket: 73mm Shell
- Rear Wheel: 142mm Spacing – 12mm Axle
- Front Derailleur: Direct Low Mount (E-type)
- Seatpost: 30.9mm Diameter
- Build Kits: Enduro, Race, XTR
Geometry remains the same as the original SB95. At 67.6-degrees and a 13.5-inch bottom bracket, it's slack and low, just the way we like 'em. Add in a roomy top tube and 17.5-inch chain stays and you've got a ride that's stable but flickable in the turns with a distinctly Yeti feel.
Build Kits // Pricing // Availability
This isn't vaporware, folks, and it's available now. Get in touch with your Yeti dealer if you're interested. Bikes are shipping this week.
As always, hit up www.yeticycles.com for more details and tons of visual inspiration. We've also got a little bonus gallery full of detail shots of the complete Race build to boost the new bike stoke.