First Look: COLE's Innovative IBEX Carbon Wheels and DSA2s System
When COLE developed their Dynamic Spoke Alignment (DSA) system years ago, they were ahead of the curve.
An overhaul of the original DSA system in 2012 lowered weight by 50 grams while improving user serviceability and manufacturing. The previous design allowed for rotation of the spoke in one direction.
The main benefit of COLE's ball and socket arrangement is that it allows for perfect alignment of the spoke independent of how the rims or hubs are drilled. Up to 5-degrees of freedom allow the system to remove any pressure points, greatly reducing the chances of busted spokes or flanges.
The hub design ensures that they can also be used on size of rims while maintaining perfect alignment.
COLE's IBEX carbon wheels can be easily converted for tubeless use. Rim widths range from 23 to 27.5mm. Reinforcement around the spoke inserts improves their strength.
COLE performs extensive mechanical testing of all their wheels in the real world and the lab.
IBEX wheels meet three times the EN standard and more than four times EU testing norms. Pretty impressive!
So who are these wheels for? From XC to Enduro use, Cole says they're up to the task. Vital is currently testing a set, so be sure to watch for our long term impressions.
For more details visit www.colewheels.com.
Broken spokes and hub flanges be gone! COLE's clever new Dynamic Spoke Alignment system allows spokes to be pulled in any direction, and the unique straight-pull design greatly reduces the chances of hub or spoke failures often seen in traditional j-bend wheels. By spreading the load to a larger area of the hub flange they can also increase wheel tension. Pretty rad! Get the full run down in this interview with COLE's founder, Jack Lin.
IBEX Wheelset Highlights
- 24 hole high-compression, clincher type carbon rims
- Dynamic Spoke Alignment System (DSA2s)
- Straight-pull double-butted 2.0/1.8/2.0mm spokes
- Replacement spokes are readily available at any bike shop
- Traditional 36 tooth, 3 pawl system with 10-degree engagement
- Hard anodized alloy freehub
- Large sealed bearings improve reliability and serviceability
- EZ Snap tool-free end cap replacement system (Front: QR/15mm, Rear: 135/142mm)
- Available in 26 (1430 grams // 23mm width), 27.5 (1680 grams // 23.5mm width), and 29-inch sizes (1650 grams // 27.5mm width)
- MSRP $1905 to $1987
For more details visit www.colewheels.com or view Cole's listings in the Vital MTB Product Guide.
Photos by Jeff Brines