looking for some upgrades for my Rockhopper

9Ryan2Carp5
Edited Date/Time 3/18/2018 4:05pm
I just picked up a 2017 specialized rockhopper sport 29 im pretty new to mountain biking what do you guys suggest upgrading. i plan on doing little trail riding nothing to crazy but id likes ome components that will be up to it if i get a little more aggressive.
|
10/5/2016 12:07am
Sounds good
If u are going for the long distance rides a watter bottle holder is great to have.
Tyers are a good spot to start.
I like to also have good set of grips as they r where u drive the bike from so comfort and control is a expectation from them and a good set will allow this
I dont do a lot of trail riding so not to sure if this helps.
lagocza
10/5/2016 7:47am
I would recommend looking into a nicer set of tires. It obviously depends on your riding style, but for me getting a more aggressive tread, soft compound tire made a huge difference in my riding. I also opted for a dual ply sidewall which is great where I ride here in Colorado where there are lots of sharp rocks and aggressive lines. If you don't have a dropper that is an amazing upgrade as well but a bit pricey. Contact points are another great place to start, having a nice saddle, grips and pedals can make a bike much more comfortable and improve your rides!
A.P.
10/5/2016 8:22am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2016 8:23am
Don't throw too much $$$ on this bike. Just enjoy it as much as possible. When you'll find the bike limits your progression and you have the money, upgrade the whole bike for a better one.

For now:
- New tires setup tubeless (at least new front tire...you can use your OEM tires as a rear tire and burn them,
- Lock-on grips if you find the stock grips are crappy,
- Clipless pedals and shoes. You will transfer them on you next bike anyway.

I would say that's about it. Anything more than that simply means you didn't buy the right bike and you should have bought the next RockHopper in the line-up.

On thing you could consider is the brakes. A friend of mine purchased a similar bike a few years ago and the stock brakes (mechanical) were really terrible. He changed them for some Shimano XT he found for cheap online and it changed the bike entirely. I have no experience with the brakes you have on your bike. If you like them, just keep them.

10/5/2016 1:40pm
Everything that has already been said, and pop those reflectors off the wheels too. Enjoy the new whip!
druuver293
1/26/2017 12:04pm
KS eTEN on Jenson for 116... externally routed sooo it should work on you bike.. i'm planning on getting one for my FS soon
druuver293
1/26/2017 12:07pm
I would say that grips will greatly increase ur comfort is you get the right pair for u..!
3/17/2018 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 2:26pm
I just picked up a 2017 specialized rockhopper sport 29 im pretty new to mountain biking what do you guys suggest upgrading. i plan on doing...
I just picked up a 2017 specialized rockhopper sport 29 im pretty new to mountain biking what do you guys suggest upgrading. i plan on doing little trail riding nothing to crazy but id likes ome components that will be up to it if i get a little more aggressive.
Nice bike , I have the same one. I love customizing everything that I have so im going all out with this one. Upgraded the following parts:
Egron grips
Kore durox handle bars 760mm 35mm rise
Hunson 7 degree stem
Lizard skin fork protectors
Selle Royal seat
Maxxis hookworm blue spoke skins
Specialized rim decals
Bonmixc pedals
I am in the works of upgrading:
1x8 drive chain (crank arms and chainring)
9 speed chain
Seatpost

jfkusa
3/18/2018 4:05pm
I'd ride it until you feel that a part doesn't fit, breaks, or you can tell that it holding you back. If you can't feel the fork flexing, you probably shouldn't be spending money on a new stiffer fork.

Post a reply to: looking for some upgrades for my Rockhopper

The Latest