4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

fuel ex5 rear shock replacement

5/18/2014 1:38 AM

My rear shock needs to be replaced on my 2013 fuel ex5. Has anyone replaced the shock , if so what part/model did u use.?

5/18/2014 11:47 AM

geoffo wrote: My rear shock needs to be replaced on my 2013 fuel ex5. Has anyone replaced the shock , if so what part/model did u use.?

Why does it need to be replaced? A simple service could likely restore the shock to its original condition and save you a few bucks.

If you do choose to replace it, you'll need to measure the "eye to eye" length and the shock stroke. Eye-to-eye is the distance from the center of one mounting bolt to the other. The stroke length is determined by measuring the exposed part of the shock that goes into the shock body when you compress it. Combining these two will yield your shock size, which you'll need when ordering a new one (example: 7.5 x 2.0-inches).

Do you have a budget in mind?

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Facebook and Twitter.

5/18/2014 1:29 PM

Thanks for your reply and info.

I had the shock in for a service after the seal leaked , the approved repairer stated that grit had got in and now shaft was damaged...$300 AUD to fix, with no guarantee that it will be 100% fixed..
They mentioned I could put a fox shock on , but at $675aud , im trying to find an alternative.

Thanks again

5/19/2014 7:57 AM

Is the shock one of the Trek only side mounts? What year is the bike? Got a pic?

The side mount shocks don't leave you a whole lot of aftermarket options to replace with.

5/19/2014 8:21 AM

Dave_Camp wrote: Is the shock one of the Trek only side mounts? What year is the bike? Got a pic?

The side mount shocks don't leave you a whole lot of aftermarket options to replace with.

it's a 2013 fuel ex5

5/20/2014 4:23 AM

Dave_Camp wrote: Is the shock one of the Trek only side mounts? What year is the bike? Got a pic?

Thks for your reply and assistance !

The bike is a 2013 trek fuel ex5.

5/20/2014 2:10 PM

Yeah, those shocks have a special upper mount- specific only to Trek bikes. Unfortunately you can only either repair the one you have, look for a used (Fuel EX specific) shock, or buy a new replacement.
Post a Reply to: fuel ex5 rear shock replacement

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm