danny hart's slalom run jammed up?

sspomer
Edited Date/Time 8/10/2014 2:23pm
i didn't see it, but have been told that a photographer interrupted danny hart's 2nd run against lopes in dual slalom at sea otter. did anyone see the photographer standing RIGHT IN THE TRACK during the run? apparently the photographer stood right in the track with his back to the racing, oblivious to what was happening. danny came through and had to steer around him, narrowly avoiding a collision. perhaps danny could have moved to the finals if this hadn't happened and thankfully no one got taken out.

i was surprised at how less-crowded slalom was w/ regard to media people. woulda been more fun if sven was there yelling at everyone to move though.
|
k.shiz
4/19/2011 7:37am
If he was trying to frame up his photo to leave room for his giant watermark, then where else was he supposed to stand?

I'm interested to see what the story really was!
4/19/2011 5:45pm
k.shiz wrote:
If he was trying to frame up his photo to leave room for his giant watermark, then where else was he supposed to stand? I'm interested...
If he was trying to frame up his photo to leave room for his giant watermark, then where else was he supposed to stand?

I'm interested to see what the story really was!
Like to know how Lopes reacted IF Hart protested.
ballr
4/19/2011 8:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2011 8:34pm
I was standing right there (but then you knew that), less than ten feet away, inside the event fence, talking with a UCI official I worked with at nationals last year and saw the whole damned thing. The dude was standing on the tabletop landing after the first big, left hand berm. He was NOT watching the action at all, but instead focusing his lens on something down the track. Hart came out of the berm, jumped off the roller and had to veer off track to avoid a collision. All things considered, I can't believe he didn't crash into the guy. He was literally right in the middle of the track. I immediately yelled at the dude and asked him what the hell he was doing. He just looked at where he was standing, looked at me and said, "Sorry." When I learned Hart lost the race by fractions, I looked at the dude and said, "You just cost that man a trip to the finals." Again, he said "sorry." Crazy. Wish Danny would have protested.
Shenzi
4/20/2011 6:42am
wow, that's so frustrating. Definitely not cool.
bturman
4/20/2011 8:29am
Graves nearly took out a photog on his sprint to the finish, too. He even mentioned it in his finish line interview.
4/20/2011 11:04am
I think this is another example of what happens when we the riders let standards go in the crapper. I keep saying that we need to form a rider/team owner group that enforces the standards of these races. Course conditions and standards, quality of events are all left to the promoter with little or no enforcement. Five years ago this kinda thing didn't happen let alone twice at a major event. A once a year promoter summit with little or no rider feed back is just not cutting it. There needs to be formal sit down riders meetings in a briefing room with all parties involved. That goes for riders, team managers, promoters, photogs. The whole group in one room an hour or so before any event starts. That way we all are clear on what's expected of ALL OF US. Every other sport does it including moto, cars, and airplanes.

The pros pay more for a UCI card and most of the time higher fees for entry. Sea Otter combined expert and pro practice on Saturday and it was a mess. The line was huge! Then there were the dude fighting at the bottom; that was just unreal. Do the promoters of SOC really that hard up for the money? In short I'm just syaing that we seem to pay more for lower quality events these days.
ballr
4/20/2011 12:55pm
I was thinking more like it was a random mistake. I really dumb one, but less an institutional problem than an individual one.
The photog issue is a tough one, especially at the bigger events (even moreso sea otter slalom). Those dudes are all scrambling to get something different than the other guys standing next to them getting the same shots. I wish they would get creative and try for some different angles. I really like Gordo's dh shots from last weekend (and I'm not just saying that cause we're boys). Flipper also does a great job with this.
jpeters
4/20/2011 5:11pm
I didn't see anything with Danny's run, but I was right nest to the girl who almost got flattened by graves at the bottom of the course. I was as close to the outside of the race line as I felt comfortable and she was two feet inside of me. I didn't see her until I turned to watch the rest of the sprint. She was really damn close.
4/25/2011 2:44pm
ballr wrote:
I was thinking more like it was a random mistake. I really dumb one, but less an institutional problem than an individual one. The photog issue...
I was thinking more like it was a random mistake. I really dumb one, but less an institutional problem than an individual one.
The photog issue is a tough one, especially at the bigger events (even moreso sea otter slalom). Those dudes are all scrambling to get something different than the other guys standing next to them getting the same shots. I wish they would get creative and try for some different angles. I really like Gordo's dh shots from last weekend (and I'm not just saying that cause we're boys). Flipper also does a great job with this.
Lack of proper standards that we had in the past leads to things like this.
Dave_Camp
4/25/2011 7:17pm
ballr wrote:
I was standing right there (but then you knew that), less than ten feet away, inside the event fence, talking with a UCI official I worked...
I was standing right there (but then you knew that), less than ten feet away, inside the event fence, talking with a UCI official I worked with at nationals last year and saw the whole damned thing. The dude was standing on the tabletop landing after the first big, left hand berm. He was NOT watching the action at all, but instead focusing his lens on something down the track. Hart came out of the berm, jumped off the roller and had to veer off track to avoid a collision. All things considered, I can't believe he didn't crash into the guy. He was literally right in the middle of the track. I immediately yelled at the dude and asked him what the hell he was doing. He just looked at where he was standing, looked at me and said, "Sorry." When I learned Hart lost the race by fractions, I looked at the dude and said, "You just cost that man a trip to the finals." Again, he said "sorry." Crazy. Wish Danny would have protested.
Then did you hit him in the chest with a rake?

you should have.

Post a reply to: danny hart's slalom run jammed up?

The Latest