4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Where do all the stolen bikes go?

11/1/2011 10:49 AM

so this weekend a friend and i were talking about where stolen bikes end up. he had some very unique bikes stolen a few years back and they never turned up anywhere. to this day, i keep an eye out for a random photo of the frames in question. there are plenty of unique and prototype bikes that go missing, but they never seem to surface either.

any thoughts? do they just go to the scrap yard for the price of melted aluminum?

any successes in stolen bikes recovered?

11/1/2011 11:03 AM

No idea my friend. I wonder this too after having a bike stolen and never to surface again. It makes me think the people who steal them somewhat have some knowlage regarding the uniqueness of some bikes or there's some sort of bike thief smuggling ring that dissassembles them and ship them elsewhere.

11/1/2011 11:07 AM

I'm always thinking about this whenever I see prototype bikes stolen. Even more I wonder who the dirtbags are that are stealing bikes at Interbike or off race rigs. My best guess is that they go out of the country, maybe South America?

Railin' ruts and nailin' sluts

11/1/2011 11:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2011 11:14 AM

Its normal organized crime. Back in a day, the Slovakia in Europe was extremely "covered" by stolen bikes from germany, austria, france... And not normal ones. A lot of prototypes, dorados when they were not on the market, etc....

It was well know that there are some bands from slovakia and probably poland that go on world cups in europe just for bikes...

A remember when Balfa was popular mark, a guy who raced for the german distributor lost his bike because of theft. And i have found it in one czech shop. I knew its stolen because no one had it in czech (the DH scene was not that big and the bikes were really expensive). And i knew who brought that bike into the shop. So i went on some german mtb forums and tried to ask guys if there is some stolen Balfa in germany. I was given a contact to a guy who owned that bike and he came back to czech for his stolen bike.

Trust me, he was really happy and i was too And if i remember well, that thief was arrested by police as he was a member of some organized crime and they found more things at his home. Too bad, i met him many times again on all over czech races again.

But for now, its a history. Of course there are still stolen bikes but i think its no more that much organized as it was. I hope.

P.S.: I have nothing againts guys from slovakia or poland. I have many friends there.

11/1/2011 11:19 AM

I used to live at a small town and one of my friends had his bike stolen... for our luck, we had some suspects in mind and some contacts that could know who did it. few hours after the theft we found the house of the guy and he was already tearing apart the poor bike... he demanded a small ransom, my friend paid and got is stuff back.
the thief was planning to sell or exchange the parts with his thief friends... and the frame would probably ended up in the trash or sold to be melted.

11/1/2011 11:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2011 12:08 PM

Years ago in the days of the Schwinn Homegrown, I had the red one with sweet red ano Sun rims and a single crown DHO that got stolen from the back of my work through two u-locks. I put the word out through the local shop. About a week later, I got a call from a friend of a friend that a "Customer" of his had offered the fork to him to pay off a $500 heroin debt. (I didn't know that about him before this.) He told the guy no-go and that he better bring back all of the parts. I'd already replaced the frame with the first of five? Santa Cruz Chamelion frames, so I gave him the Schwinn frame as a finders' fee. On a side note. Those red Rhyno Lite wheels were the first wheels I ever built, and they lasted for five years through learning to jump, racing dual slalom, two seasons of downhill racing and finally died on a trail ride when I landed a wall ride onto a root.

11/1/2011 11:43 AM

Oh, man. Got a couple of good stories about friends recovering stolen rides... Both took place in Ann Arbor, MI, a college town where bike theft is all too common.

The first was a friend who had just finished building a bright blue Kona Cowan DS... not too many of those around at that point as they had just come out that season. Long story short, it was picked out of the basement of his house during a break-in, and he thought he would never see it again. Luckily just a few days later, a friend spotted the same bike chillin in the bed of a pick-up truck outside of Little Ceasars. He knew the bike and parts spec well enough that without thinking twice he grabbed the bike and called the cops.

The second is definitely a better story from a comic standpoint. Basically a guy's bike gets stolen... high-end ride with custom build spec, very recognizable. About a week later a friend of his sees a homeless man riding the bike down the street. Without raising his voice or getting angry and scaring the guy, he stops him and compliments him on the nice bike. He then offers him $50 to buy it off of him. What do you know? The bum sells it for $50, probably completely blind to the fact that the frame alone retails for over $1000. Awesome.

Unfortunately, bike theft does hedge on organized crime in some cases. Only a few years ago, a bike theft ring was uncovered and found to be in possession of over 2000 stolen bikes. It was discovered that they had a wide-spread distribution and collection network covering every major city in the US and Canada. They had 3 warehouses in the Toronto area (I believe) containing bikes from as far away as Los Angeles. Pretty messed up. Still wondering what happened to my first Santa Cruz Chameleon that was lifted from outside my linear algebra classroom in Ann Arbor a few years ago.

I'm just here to ride...

Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
Transition Dirtbag

11/1/2011 11:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2011 12:52 PM

Good video regarding this topic:

11/1/2011 12:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2011 12:11 PM

King Cam and Pro Pops. Way to go! Classic. Have you seen the one where a group of Canadians ambush a bike thief with paint ball guns?

11/1/2011 12:14 PM

vics26 wrote: Good video regarding this topic:

hahah, i shot that video. it was rad. cam's dad was ready to beat the shit out of that guy LOL

11/1/2011 12:45 PM

vics26 wrote: Good video regarding this topic:

sspomer wrote: hahah, i shot that video. it was rad. cam's dad was ready to beat the shit out of that guy LOL

When that video went live online, it made a lot of people's days better, and it was also entertaining/awesome to see some good old fashioned street justice.

11/1/2011 2:22 PM

fucking sucks, this year when i was still 14, i had my 1 week 6 day old giant glory1 stolen at the us open and it never showed back up.

11/1/2011 3:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2011 3:43 PM

dont steal bikes bro!
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/107845/

ive caught people trying to steal bikes before, boy were they sorry after...

two wheels, one love.

11/1/2011 4:30 PM

I had a bike stolen in college that turned up about two months later. I had some fliers out stating a reward and some dude called and told me he found it in the woods in a creek.

So there you go. They're in creeks.

And in slovakia. Maybe in creeks in slovakia.

11/1/2011 6:40 PM

mine got stolen a 3 years ago and he was going around trying to sell it and he tried to sell it to my friend and my friend told me and i was stoked when the school got it back for me

11/2/2011 8:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/2/2011 8:45 AM

It became a pretty big problem around here. A lot of downhillers play up on Leckhampton Hill, some with very nice bikes. I even saw Brendog up there on the Honda RN01 once, but I digress.

Alas the local scum cottoned on.

A group of them would wait either in the car-park at the bottom of the trails, or in a side-road down the hill a bit. Someone would ride past (or drive by with a really nice bike on the rack) and they'd follow them home. If the bike was kept in a shed/garage/outhouse, they'd come back later and break in. They'd never break into the house (I'm told it becomes aggravated burglary if they do, so it carries a jail sentence). The bikes were shipped off to the cities and sold on.

It got to the point where it became a little cottage industry. They were going to the Forest of Dean (~40 miles away) and other popular DH spots and following people home from there. What's more, they'd wait a couple of months for the bike to be replaced and try again!

Thankfully the police finally caught up with some of them, and it seems to have lessened recently (or maybe we're all a bit smarter about being followed, and where we keep the bikes), but the price is that we don't seem to ride up Lecky so much anymore. Don't want to be followed home.

11/2/2011 9:34 AM

My girlfriend and I got our 3 week old specialized pitch stolen from my car's bike rack 3 years ago. The next day, I called the bike shop to asked them to order new bikes for us when the owner stopped me mid-sentence to tell me the guy with my bike just rolled past the bike shop. He tried to follow him but the guy lost him. A week later one of the mecanics followed the same guy on my bike back to where he lives. He even got the name and adress of the guy. The cops where at the store for another matter and he told them who it was and everything. The cops knew the guy but because they had too much on their hands already and because I already contacted my insurrance company they said they wouldn't bother to investigate. I should have confronted the guy to get my bike back but I was to chicken to do it.

11/2/2011 12:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/3/2011 11:23 AM

I HATE BIKE THIEVES. This year in Whistler my friend an I had five bikes stolen from the basement of our condo during Crankworx. According to the Whistler RCMP there were about 90 bikes reported stolen in Whistler During Crankworx. The police thought that many of the thefts were related and actually were able to bust a house in Vancouver that had possession of about 20 high end bikes. They found three of ours bikes and we just got them back a few days ago. I was surprised that all three bikes were exactly as we had left them as I thought they would be stripped right away. This was the first time I had ever had a bike stolen and even though it turned out alright in the end It was awful to deal with insurance, shipping, and not having any bikes for three months.

11/2/2011 2:53 PM

Tell you where they go in Milwaukee WI, the crooks try and fence them at Ben's Bike. Ben's has two stores across street from each other, whatever store the crook walks in the Ben's staff says they will buy it at the store across street. Ben's then calls other store to let them know they have a stolen bike coming in and stall them, then they call cops who have a Bicycle patrols in area 24/7 and they go to the store with the crooks and bust them. Have seen it personally, its a thing of beauty !

11/13/2011 10:25 AM

Mandatory viewing if you value your bike, especially the bit where they test a bunch of locks.

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Facebook and Twitter.

Post a Reply to: Where do all the stolen bikes go?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm