When did downhillers turn into drama queens?

Hashmire
Edited Date/Time 5/14/2017 1:53am
When did downhill racing turn into a high school lunch break drama session? I remember a time when riders just got on with it regardless of how 'unfair' their race went or who was running a different setup than they were. You're a professional athlete in an outdoor sport, it rains in the outdoors, it gets windy, and it can be cold. If you don't want to deal with the elements then start playing racquetball. I remember a race back in the day where everyone knew it was going to rain, it rained everyday at 3 for a week and everyone knew it was going to rain on race day. Uci didn't alter the race schedule. Instead, one rider in particular took tactics into his own hands and pulled over for 20 seconds in his qualifying run. He ended up winning the race because he was able to take his run before the rain started. However, another rider came down in the rain and most likely would have beaten him barring a crash midway down the Hill essentially winning the day but not the race. What I don't remember is a bunch of children bitching and moaning after the race saying that UCI needs to change and they got an unfair race and blah friggin blah. Buck up buttercup, this is downhill racing. You're supposed to be tougher than the rest. You're supposed to be stronger and more skilled than the rest. You're not supposed to complain about everything because you think you got a raw deal.

I also remember a time when the entire downhill industry was making a switch to a 27.5 wheel. It took certain companies much longer to produce this larger wheeled platform while other companies were leading the change. I also remember a certain rather ratty rider who, instead of complaining about how everyone else was 'cheating' and 'we need to standardize everything' and bitch and moan and pee their little baby pants, he smoked the entire field for one last time on his little slow wheels through perseverance, hard work, and flat out talent. While we're on the subject I don't understand why everyone is making a fuss about a bigger wheel and nothing about the gentlemen who won the race with a remote activated lockout on his rear shock. No one else that I'm aware of had this arguably faster technology, but yet no one is complaining about that or saying that its cheating. I guess it comes back to the old Chinese proverb: 'pick a wheel size and be a dick about it.'

Maybe it's the new young guns who were told they were special all their lives. Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety. But I miss the days where riders just accepted things and got on with it regardless. There is always a chance of inclimate weather, you're outside. There will always be some companies pushing the progression of the sport and it may not be the company you are riding for. Thats what makes downhill so awesome, it separates the men from the boys. There is always something new and sometimes it's faster and sometimes it's not but if we try to standardize every little thing then this sport will lose a lot of what I believe makes it so damn awesome.
|
AdamO
5/4/2017 12:01pm
I like it.
Back in the days Matti Lehikoinen played the tactics during qualifiying and for me it was professional and risky decision. Sam steals the show but it was fair win
Wamp Rat
5/4/2017 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 3:56pm
"barring a crash midway down the Hill"...
Subtle. I like it.

In fairness though I think it is the forum teens that are bitching far more than the racers themselves. I hope.
Falcon
5/4/2017 4:58pm
I like your Chinese proverb: 'pick a wheel size and be a dick about it.' Laughing

The equipment argument reminds me of the Motocross production rule from 1986. All the privateers who were complaining that they didn't have works bikes started singing a different tune when the factory riders started riding production machines and still waxed everybody. Sometimes, it just comes down to a faster individual.
sspomer
5/4/2017 7:35pm
Wamp Rat wrote:
"barring a crash midway down the [i]Hill[/i]"... Subtle. I like it. In fairness though I think it is the forum teens that are bitching far more...
Subtle. I like it.

In fairness though I think it is the forum teens that are bitching far more than the racers themselves. I hope.
Hashmire
5/4/2017 7:40pm
Wamp Rat wrote:
"barring a crash midway down the [i]Hill[/i]"... Subtle. I like it. In fairness though I think it is the forum teens that are bitching far more...
Subtle. I like it.

sspomer wrote:
He was definitely one racer who came to my mind.
sideshow
5/4/2017 9:04pm

This pretty much said it all.

Also, fun fact: Mick Hannah tried to play the rain game in Qualies - perhaps too well, landing in 78th...unfortunately he crashed so we don't have a good barometer for that tactic in the current iteration of UCI rules.
Atkisa
5/5/2017 1:18am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2017 1:25am
You've reminded me of this

Doews
5/5/2017 9:12am
I read one comment from one rider who had an emotional moment after his home country WC was pretty much washed out for the top riders. 6 months preparing, 35,000 fans, a chance to win on home soil....ya, he lost it a bit.

I have just read 3 ridiculously whiny paragraphs from a guy who is likely an adult (not teens), has had a week to digest the entire issue and has no real stake in the outcome of this event.

So where is the drama coming from and who is the real 'drama queen' here?
Hashmire
5/5/2017 9:34am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2017 10:55am
Doews wrote:
I read one comment from one rider who had an emotional moment after his home country WC was pretty much washed out for the top riders...
I read one comment from one rider who had an emotional moment after his home country WC was pretty much washed out for the top riders. 6 months preparing, 35,000 fans, a chance to win on home soil....ya, he lost it a bit.

I have just read 3 ridiculously whiny paragraphs from a guy who is likely an adult (not teens), has had a week to digest the entire issue and has no real stake in the outcome of this event.

So where is the drama coming from and who is the real 'drama queen' here?
I do see the irony of my complaining about the complainers. However, I do think they could act a little more grown up about the situation. And there were many more than the one comment you saw. As I mentioned in the ridiculously whiny paragraphs other riders have had to deal with similar situations and they managed to handle it much more professionally. But that's just like, my opinion man.
Wamp Rat
AaGro
5/6/2017 8:35am
sspomer wrote:
danny seems pretty level-headed about it all (wheel size) http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/Whats-the-World-Champ-Think-Danny-Hart-on-29ers-in-DH-Racing,33630/sspomer,2 we have his thoughts on the weather too, so stay tuned.
danny seems pretty level-headed about it all (wheel size)
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/Whats-the-World-Champ-Think-Dan…

we have his thoughts on the weather too, so stay tuned.
Level headed is an interesting characterization...seemed to me like he is not pleased with the 29" wheel and thinks the UCI should put a maximum at 27.5...I don't know the guy but he didn't sound thrilled
kidwoo
5/13/2017 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2017 7:15pm
TL:DR

"DH'ers" have been drama queens since V-brakes and suspension.
Seriously. I remember quite a few "professional" racers bitching and moaning about everything from tracks being too hard in a section to tape laying on the ground when they went through. 15 years ago

When you spend as much time preparing for these little singular events, anything you can do to improve your chances I guess.........

That said, access to racing as a viewing product has never been better. Live coverage plus replays, all backed by someone as interested as redbull. Holding the race earlier really would have improved that product....the racing.
ambatty
5/14/2017 1:53am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2017 2:05am
*inclement.

Inclement weather.

Post a reply to: When did downhillers turn into drama queens?

The Latest