Sram x9 rear derailleur

Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 3:09am

Yo people

Today out on the trail I hit a medium size jump too fast and went to flat. My x9 rear derailleur snapped which is weak as piss since it's 2 months old. Didn't hit it on a rock or anything just the landing impact (which wasn't that hard) snapped the bolt that holds the derailleur on and the carbon/plastic half of the hanger broke too. It's a mid cage one. What's a good price tuff derailleur for aggressive all mountain ?? Is it worth fixing my current x9 or buying a short cage new one.

Any opinions and experience would be much appreciated cheers
|
Big Bird
6/6/2014 8:26am
It's pretty hard to fix a broken derailleur like that unless you have another one for parts and a lot of patience. I've been abusing X9 and X7 derailleurs for years and have never broken one like that. It sounds to me like your chain was a bit too short to take full bottom out. When you install the new short cage one, make sure there is enough chain to take up all of the bikes travel. The best way to make sure is to remove your spring, or let out most of the air if it's an air shock and cycle the frame through all of it;s travel. I usually ad one extra link to be sure.
sspomer
6/6/2014 8:27am
i've had an x9 for a while with no problems. since yours is only two months old can it be warrantied? if it's just the bolt and a local shop has a spare you can fix the derailleur with, that seems like the play.

check a used parts forums for a replacement xo maybe? for trail/all-mtn with full range gear clusters, short cage is not recommended.
6/6/2014 12:45pm
i would look at the shimano Zee line. its a great working rear derailleur and can handle 11-36 in a short cage. although i only use mine for dj and a little trail im not sure how well it works in the rocks but hucks to flats and my shitty riding/ my need to stupidly show off has put its load on this thing and it still kills it sense day one. plus its super cheep at like 60 bucks from crc
6/6/2014 4:21pm
Big Bird wrote:
It's pretty hard to fix a broken derailleur like that unless you have another one for parts and a lot of patience. I've been abusing X9...
It's pretty hard to fix a broken derailleur like that unless you have another one for parts and a lot of patience. I've been abusing X9 and X7 derailleurs for years and have never broken one like that. It sounds to me like your chain was a bit too short to take full bottom out. When you install the new short cage one, make sure there is enough chain to take up all of the bikes travel. The best way to make sure is to remove your spring, or let out most of the air if it's an air shock and cycle the frame through all of it;s travel. I usually ad one extra link to be sure.
Thanks for that I thought there must be more too it than just breaking on impact the chain must be too short .
6/6/2014 4:25pm
sspomer wrote:
i've had an x9 for a while with no problems. since yours is only two months old can it be warrantied? if it's just the bolt...
i've had an x9 for a while with no problems. since yours is only two months old can it be warrantied? if it's just the bolt and a local shop has a spare you can fix the derailleur with, that seems like the play.

check a used parts forums for a replacement xo maybe? for trail/all-mtn with full range gear clusters, short cage is not recommended.
I'm running it 1x10. Not sure about warranty I got the bike through chain reactions so it would probably be Easter to just buy a new one instead of wait ages without my bike.
6/6/2014 4:28pm
i would look at the shimano Zee line. its a great working rear derailleur and can handle 11-36 in a short cage. although i only use...
i would look at the shimano Zee line. its a great working rear derailleur and can handle 11-36 in a short cage. although i only use mine for dj and a little trail im not sure how well it works in the rocks but hucks to flats and my shitty riding/ my need to stupidly show off has put its load on this thing and it still kills it sense day one. plus its super cheep at like 60 bucks from crc
Yeah I think I might look at getting the zee seems pretty tuff . I need tuff as I like going too fast for my own skills haha

Post a reply to: Sram x9 rear derailleur

The Latest