Sideways rear wheel movement...

Related:
huck_fin
Edited Date/Time 6/21/2017 7:17pm
Hi all,

So a couple weeks back I noticed sideways movent in my rear wheel and so after double checking that It was definitely my rear wheel (and not linkages and so on) I set about replacing the cartridge bearings because that seemed what would be causing the problem. I did the job properly and used a bearing press to fit the new ones which went in nice and straight. I then put everything back together, properly tightening the cassete, the axle etc only to get back on it and still feel the sideways play!! I am properly stumped.... It is also worth saying that this is a nukeproof hub with a "3 in 1" thru axle design.

Thanks to any responses in advance.
Fin
|
5/19/2016 9:24am
I'm not super familiar with Nukeproof hubs having never worked on them personally, but from what I can see on their site the hub cones do have flats for a cone-wrench. Are you sure you're properly tightening down the cones? They should be snug enough to eliminate play but not too snug that they bind up the bearings.

Also, try to isolate the movement. Is it between the hub-cones and your dropouts? Between the freehub and the hub shell? Between the cones and the axle?

Of course, I'm just guess here. If you post pictures and the specific hub model, etc... that you have it'll be more helpful to us as we can actually see what you're working with.
huck_fin
5/19/2016 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2016 1:12pm
I'm not super familiar with Nukeproof hubs having never worked on them personally, but from what I can see on their site the hub cones do...
I'm not super familiar with Nukeproof hubs having never worked on them personally, but from what I can see on their site the hub cones do have flats for a cone-wrench. Are you sure you're properly tightening down the cones? They should be snug enough to eliminate play but not too snug that they bind up the bearings.

Also, try to isolate the movement. Is it between the hub-cones and your dropouts? Between the freehub and the hub shell? Between the cones and the axle?

Of course, I'm just guess here. If you post pictures and the specific hub model, etc... that you have it'll be more helpful to us as we can actually see what you're working with.

Here are a few pics of parts of the hub

So on the axle casing or housing if if you know what i mean there is one end where the locknut thing is screwed on then it is just a seal then a bearing (sorry for my terrible discriptions), hopefully yyou can see what I mean by the attached pictures.
I had a bit of an investigation and it feels like the axle housing is moving slightly which I supose would be kind of amplified by the size of the wheel? I tightened it up quite alot but without putting excessive force on it cos that is never good...

cheers for the response.
5/19/2016 1:44pm
When you snug up the locking cone on the non-drive side to the axle, grab both cones (drive and non-drive) and see if you can replicate the play by hand. If so, tighten that non-drive cone down more. You basically want it to be as tight as possible without it adding extra drag to the bearings.

Also, make sure you're torquing down your frame axle properly. If it's too loose it'll cause play as well.
huck_fin
5/19/2016 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2016 2:09pm
When you snug up the locking cone on the non-drive side to the axle, grab both cones (drive and non-drive) and see if you can replicate...
When you snug up the locking cone on the non-drive side to the axle, grab both cones (drive and non-drive) and see if you can replicate the play by hand. If so, tighten that non-drive cone down more. You basically want it to be as tight as possible without it adding extra drag to the bearings.

Also, make sure you're torquing down your frame axle properly. If it's too loose it'll cause play as well.
Il give that a shot, I might have just not given it enoght torque. I was definitely tightening the frame axle sufficiently though.
Also when you say replicate it by hand, I can kind of hold both locknut things and feel a bit of movent that way (of the axle)
huck_fin
5/19/2016 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2016 2:18pm
I don't have access to the bike right at this moment so I'll have to get back to you on that.
5/19/2016 2:33pm
When you snug up the locking cone on the non-drive side to the axle, grab both cones (drive and non-drive) and see if you can replicate...

huck_fin wrote:
Il give that a shot, I might have just not given it enoght torque. I was definitely tightening the frame axle sufficiently though. Also when you...
Il give that a shot, I might have just not given it enoght torque. I was definitely tightening the frame axle sufficiently though.
Also when you say replicate it by hand, I can kind of hold both locknut things and feel a bit of movent that way (of the axle)
To me, that sounds like your non-drive cone isn't quite tight enough. It might be worth checking with Nukeproof regarding the exact torque spec for that nut, as if you over tighten it there is a chance of stipping the threads or cracking it. But if you're careful just snugging it down a bit more will probably be fine.
huck_fin
5/19/2016 2:48pm

huck_fin wrote:
Il give that a shot, I might have just not given it enoght torque. I was definitely tightening the frame axle sufficiently though. Also when you...
To me, that sounds like your non-drive cone isn't quite tight enough. It might be worth checking with Nukeproof regarding the exact torque spec for that...
To me, that sounds like your non-drive cone isn't quite tight enough. It might be worth checking with Nukeproof regarding the exact torque spec for that nut, as if you over tighten it there is a chance of stipping the threads or cracking it. But if you're careful just snugging it down a bit more will probably be fine.
Ok so i'll try snugging it down a bit more but say i do that and it's still got that play (although it isn't a huge amount), do you reckon I could get away with a gentle ride? I've been itching to get out...
huck_fin
5/20/2016 12:56am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2016 1:14am
To me, that sounds like your non-drive cone isn't quite tight enough. It might be worth checking with Nukeproof regarding the exact torque spec for that...
Right so I tightened them down pretty much as tight as possible, I stick it back on the bike and there is that same play... Sad
Think il try head in to my LBS
huck_fin
5/24/2016 2:27pm
Did you end up taking your bike in? I'm curious what was going on.
Yeah sorry so turns out they were duff bearings, got them replaced and its all good now. Appreciate your help as well by the way Smile
5/25/2016 11:36am
Did you end up taking your bike in? I'm curious what was going on.
huck_fin wrote:
Yeah sorry so turns out they were duff bearings, got them replaced and its all good now. Appreciate your help as well by the way Smile
Nice. Glad you got it sorted.

Post a reply to: Sideways rear wheel movement...

The Latest