Post Office Jumps to Finally Close, February 2015

sspomer
11/25/2014 9:43am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2015 7:51am
It was a matter of time, but development in the town of Aptos has finally caught up with the Post Office jumps. Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz have posted a letter from the landowner stating that the Post Office jumps and Epicenter Cycling pumptrack will be closed February 17, 2015.

The letter
-------------------------------------
Dear Cyclists, Dirt Jumping and Pump Track Community,

Barry Swenson Builder and the Santa Cruz County Parks Department are sad to announce that the Aptos Epicenter Pump Track and the Post Office Jump Park will be closing February 17, 2015. Barry Swenson Builder and the Santa Cruz County Parks Department built these parks temporarily knowing this real estate was slated as the future home of Aptos Village. Together we identified there was a community need for a safe place for riders of all ages and skill levels to participate and have a place to go. Whether working on riding skills and techniques on the pump track or honing their skills dirt jumping and free style riding on the dirt jumps the parks appealed to intermediate and pro riders alike.

Many good things have come out of these temporary model parks. We now are seeing bicycle pump track parks being built throughout Santa Cruz County. This method of developing public parks on private land and with community stewardship has become a role model and many grassroots bicycle parks have been built using this as a model nationwide. We are proud to have demonstrated the social/community need and been a catalyst for generating world-class freestyle dirt jumpers from of our area.

While it is sad to see these parks close, it is exciting to see what changes the future may bring to Aptos and the biking community. What began as a short term temporary park ended up having a long successful run and should be seen as is a testament to the stewardship provided by the biking community and a great example of a public private partnership.

Thank you for taking care of our parks and for making them yours,

Jesse L. Nickell III
Senior Vice President
Barry Swenson Builder

The following people support the park closure and understand the temporary nature of these parks: Mark Davidson (President, Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz), Shawn Wilson (Owner, Epicenter), Dave Smith (Owner, Shuttle Smith Adventures), Cameron McCaul, Alex Reveles, Tyler McCaul, Greg Watts, Jamie Goldman, Ryan Howard, Kyle Jamison, Jack Fogelquist, and Ray George.
-------------------------------------

It's hard to imagine what the slopestyle/dirt jump community might be like today without the jumps. I've been fortunate to see the scene grow over the last decade and it's sad to hear the news of this. I made my first visit to Aptos in 2003 after Cam McCaul's Race Face Ultimate Freeride contest video dropped on Pinkbike. The riders who blossomed from that area, largely due to the Post Office jumps, is astounding.

The landowner, the riders and the local community worked together to keep the trails available as long as possible. Their cooperation and dedication helped the scene grow in a healthy way and we'll surely miss the place when it's gone.

There is still a winter of digging and riding ahead and I'm personally excited to see what comes out of there this season. Thanks to everyone involved in those trails. Lifelong friends were made, careers sky-rocketed and millions of smiles were had because of some scultped piles of dirt.

I'm posting some of my first and favorite photos from the Post Office and some of my favorite video clips. Please share your favorites here too.

-gordo

Gabe Randall blasting over a collection of groms at the Post Office in 2003.

Cam McCaul, January 2004.

Alex Reveles, 13-years old, 2003. #stylemaster

Jamie Goldman, 2006.

Josh Toland, Littermag Online Supplement "cover", 2006.

Fun times as Obama was being sworn in as president.

Oozing style with riders like R-dog, Hoenisch, Guy French and Cob. There was just something special about the style push by this crew of riders. Here's to more epic sunset sessions while the jumps are still around.
|
Mr. P
11/25/2014 10:53am
What a great place. I took my kid there and I had to pull him away hours later. A friendly and encouraging group of riders. Thanks to all that have worked to make that place happen. Sad to see it go, but thankful for it being there.

P
astrizzle
11/25/2014 4:45pm
Something tells me they won't get shut down, people have been saying that for years now but something always happens at the zero hour.
sspomer
11/25/2014 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2014 5:35pm
astrizzle wrote:
Something tells me they won't get shut down, people have been saying that for years now but something always happens at the zero hour.
i hope you're right, but it seems like the bigger wheels are in motion this time w/ that letter coming directly from the land owner.

gabe and cam from clappin' yo dome, one of the first times i ever visited that magic land. the "non-post office" trails haven't existed for years

Big Bird
11/25/2014 5:59pm
Gabe is one of the coolest dorks, and I say that lovingly as one myself, ever to jump a bike. So nice and so smooth. From what I've heard, the only thing delaying them for the last year was an issue about the water supply for the Town Center. #Jump Rumors has it that a local kid inherited a chunk of money and some land in Soquel near a creek. The plan I've heard is to work with the county and open the place up as an official replacement for the Post Office. If that happens, I'd like to volunteer to help build a "Replacement Post Office" for shade and maybe a smoker/barbecue, since they won't be right next door to quality barbecue anymore.
Big Bird
11/25/2014 6:12pm
I wrote that last bit before watching the Clappin' ya Dome video. Man that took me back! That's me in the first shot watching in the white helmet. See, big lanky dork. DE LA JUMPS!!! Sorry, just had to yell. Man I miss that place. At one point Jamie Goldman almost got those rebuilt as a mid town official spot. Perhaps it could still happen. And that era of Post Office was when I used to ride there. I went back years later and was easing into the "Straight" line. Got the first, got the second… Nobody told me to blast the third to the moon and I ended up casing into the lip of the fourth jump. Bent handle bars, and cracked and twisted Profile cranks. I haven't ridden there since. R.I.P. De La. R.I.P. Post Office. But there will always be more.
CamMcCaul
11/25/2014 9:53pm
Love seeing the old stuff
bturman
11/25/2014 11:42pm
This was the first video I ever made:

https://vimeo.com/3113857

Going to have to do my best to get back up there before February.
Big Bird
11/26/2014 8:43am
Nice vid Brandon. I didn't know you'd ever been to the Freedom 40. They've come a long way since then. And I never knew that Cobs' jumps were ever that advanced.
hotrodmarlin
11/26/2014 10:15am
THE WORLD WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE WITH JUMPS LIKE THIS IN EVERY CITY.
Cam and Tyler- make it happen. You can do it Smile
sspomer
11/26/2014 10:33am
bturman wrote:
This was the first video I ever made: https://vimeo.com/3113857 Going to have to do my best to get back up there before February.
This was the first video I ever made:

https://vimeo.com/3113857

Going to have to do my best to get back up there before February.
SO. GOOD. i remember this gem!
syngltrkmnd
11/26/2014 11:45am
astrizzle wrote:
sspomer wrote:
i hope you're right, but it seems like the bigger wheels are in motion this time w/ that letter coming directly from the land owner. gabe...
i hope you're right, but it seems like the bigger wheels are in motion this time w/ that letter coming directly from the land owner.

gabe and cam from clappin' yo dome, one of the first times i ever visited that magic land. the "non-post office" trails haven't existed for years

Like, 650B wheels? What a shame.
sspomer
2/12/2015 7:40am
another #tbt to aptos in 2010 from justin olsen.

Big Bird
2/15/2015 7:35am
So, is there an actual date set for a final jam/party/barbeque before the bulldozers roll in?
Karabuka
2/17/2015 12:50am
Will the crew get replacement spot? I mean, they managed to build one of the primest dirt jumping spots in the whole world, with all the scene around it: events, lessons for beginers/kids, people traveling from other parts of the state/world to ride it etc... With such references going to major or some other authorities saying: Look what we build with pretty much zero cost, all based on volunteer work and good spirit and now it is going to get demolished. Can you get us new spot where we can continue doing what we love? I really dont see why it wouldnt work?
Where I live MTB is not even remotely as big thing as it is in Cali but we scheduled a meeting with mayor and said we want a piece of land where we can build some jumps/pump track and we simply got it. Our idea sprouted into plan to make like sports park there with areas dedicated for other sports so they are going to build it for us, we just had to describe what we want. With the amazing story of Post office I really dont see why the legacy should not continue...
Big Bird
2/17/2015 7:51am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2015 7:51am
From what I've heard, the county is on board to help build a new spot. They're just working on finding the right spot. The Office shall rise again!

Post a reply to: Post Office Jumps to Finally Close, February 2015

The Latest