Pivot Phoenix sizing advice

seccitaj
I am building myself a downhill bike during the winter off-season, and i have kind of decided to go with Pivot Phoenix Carbon due to the modern geometry, overall build quality and the looks. However, as i am 5'8 (175cm) and due to their super long geometry, i'm unable to decide between frame size S and M.

Does anyone even remotely close to my size have any experience on that particular frame (or any frame with similar geometry) and if yes, any opinions on which size (S or M) i should go for?

I would rather want the bike to be playful than full-blown speedy race machine, but to be honest it feels really awkward to buy the smallest sized frame (out of 4 alternatives) with my height, when all my other bikes are M in size (YT Capra for example). But in the end, i really don't want to buy too small of a frame.

ANY help or advice is hugely appreciated! I am really having hard time deciding.
|
Boulax
10/30/2016 5:25am
Hello
I'm 182cm tall and ive get a large size. I don't think it's too long at all, the bike is so light and playful that it can even be more longer! I recommend you a medium sized minimum!
THIS bike is outstanding!

seccitaj
10/30/2016 6:28am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2016 6:30am
Boulax wrote:
Hello I'm 182cm tall and ive get a large size. I don't think it's too long at all, the bike is so light and playful that...
Hello
I'm 182cm tall and ive get a large size. I don't think it's too long at all, the bike is so light and playful that it can even be more longer! I recommend you a medium sized minimum!
THIS bike is outstanding!

So it's not hard for you to weight the front if needed with L-sized frame? And you feel reasonably centered in the bike both while sitting and standing i.e. you don't feel you need to be reaching really far forward? How about really tight corners, you don't feel slow and glumsy?

I am getting really mixed info on this.... Sad
10/30/2016 11:05am
I'm 5' 6" a went with the small. It was really fun and stable but I'd get a medium next time because I'd like a little more cockpit room. And if I were your height I'd definitely go medium. Like the other guy said, it's so light and playful the length doesn't matter so much. Best dh bike I've owned.
seccitaj
10/30/2016 11:11am
I'm 5' 6" a went with the small. It was really fun and stable but I'd get a medium next time because I'd like a little...
I'm 5' 6" a went with the small. It was really fun and stable but I'd get a medium next time because I'd like a little more cockpit room. And if I were your height I'd definitely go medium. Like the other guy said, it's so light and playful the length doesn't matter so much. Best dh bike I've owned.
Ah, thanks for that. It's really comforting to know im not totally off here with my idea of going M.

Here is how they are saying on their website in FAQ:
Small: 5'4.5" – 5’11”
Medium: 5'10” –6’
Large: 5'11” – 6’3”
X‐Large: 6'2” +

Is it just me or are the Pivot's recommended sizing a little weird because there is only basically 2" difference between highest and lowest heights recommended for size M (so the sizing is far from being linear), even though the bike geometry grows linearly (+2cm reach and top tube length for each size up)? Basically im thinking that in reality the recommended lowest height for size M should be a lot shorter than 5'10?

bturman
10/30/2016 11:20am
Steve Wentz and I, two testers here at Vital, prefer bikes with reach measurements right around 430mm when combined with a 50mm stem. Steve is 5'8" and I'm 5'10".

The medium Phoenix Carbon slots in at 428mm. Provided you don't have an overly short torso, Medium is the way to roll. Just put a 40mm stem on there if you need to reign it in a hair.
seccitaj
10/30/2016 11:23am
bturman wrote:
Steve Wentz and I, [url=http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Meet-The-Testers-2016-Vital-MTB-Test-Sessions,1312]two testers here at Vital[/url], prefer bikes with reach measurements right around 430mm when combined with a 50mm stem. Steve is 5'8"...
Steve Wentz and I, two testers here at Vital, prefer bikes with reach measurements right around 430mm when combined with a 50mm stem. Steve is 5'8" and I'm 5'10".

The medium Phoenix Carbon slots in at 428mm. Provided you don't have an overly short torso, Medium is the way to roll. Just put a 40mm stem on there if you need to reign it in a hair.
You seem to be falling right in to my sizing! I am quite naturally balanced between legs / torso, but if anything, i actually have just a tiny bit more torso than legs, so in this case i am really falling for the M. Thanks for the great references!
10/30/2016 12:18pm
I'm 5' 6" a went with the small. It was really fun and stable but I'd get a medium next time because I'd like a little...
seccitaj wrote:
Ah, thanks for that. It's really comforting to know im not totally off here with my idea of going M. Here is how they are saying...
Ah, thanks for that. It's really comforting to know im not totally off here with my idea of going M.

Here is how they are saying on their website in FAQ:
Small: 5'4.5" – 5’11”
Medium: 5'10” –6’
Large: 5'11” – 6’3”
X‐Large: 6'2” +

Is it just me or are the Pivot's recommended sizing a little weird because there is only basically 2" difference between highest and lowest heights recommended for size M (so the sizing is far from being linear), even though the bike geometry grows linearly (+2cm reach and top tube length for each size up)? Basically im thinking that in reality the recommended lowest height for size M should be a lot shorter than 5'10?

Yeah, I feel bad for the guy who is 5'11" that took their advice and bought the small Phoenix.

My major hang-up with Pivot has always been that their recommended sizing is so much different than most other manufactures. It causes a lot of confusion when comparing bikes. I've taken their sizing advice against my own judgement twice and failed both times. The size small LES 27.5 and the Mach 4C were both too small for my liking (very unstable at speed), while their medium bikes fit me better and offered much improved stability. However the small Phoenix and the small Firebird (both of the newest models) fit me very well. That said, I can still comfortably fit the medium sizes if I preferred, and would definitely get the medium Phoenix next time around.

I feel like it's okay for them to say a person who is 5'6" can fit a small (because they obviously can), but think they should add that the same height person could also fit a medium, because I comfortably do fit that size and often prefer them. That's a long winded response, but hopefully it's helpful to some.
yan
7/4/2020 1:37pm
I'm 5'7 and could get a good deal on a small frame I'm riding a medium banshee darkside with 410 reach so the 400 on the phoenix might not be that bad especially with more wheelbase and mor top tube lenght. What you think?

Post a reply to: Pivot Phoenix sizing advice

The Latest