4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

New Tie Down Design to Increase Ride Time

12/2/2013 10:12 PM

Hey all. There has been some discussion locally about a specifically designed tie down for shuttling of the bikes. The strap would obviously come in handy and simplify the process when driving to a new spot, the bike park or traveling too.

The idea is to work at securing your rides either in a rack in the bed of your truck, or secure them when hanging over the tailgate (if anyone does that), but quickly (meaning more shuttles) and simply.

So who is happy with the current, general purpose hardware store purchased tie downs, and who would like to see a specially designed piece that would enable quicker changeovers and more secure strapping?

What are most doing and is a strap like this of interest to anyone?

Sunshine & Slippery Trail

12/3/2013 9:10 PM

Any innovation is good, even if just for good target practice at shooting them down. I've seen a couple of new DaKine pads with velcro straps on the top to keep bikes from sliding around in turns. They seem to work pretty well. In the past, we've used one tie down strap from one side of the bed and wrapped it around each top tube across the tail gate. That works pretty well, but if you've got another idea, bring it on. The world needs more efficient shuttles.

12/5/2013 6:35 PM

Hey Big Bird, thanks for the push! Your technique is exactly what we use, though thinking it could be better: more secure, more efficient. Will let you know if anything comes to fruition.

12/6/2013 9:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2013 8:39 AM

Another thought….. (Edited for secrecy.) ...Either everyone brings their own, or the truck owner has enough to fill his own truck bed. I thought that idea was too obvious not to have been thought of. I'm available for product testing by the way.

12/8/2013 6:22 PM

Ssshhhh, Big Bird.

12/10/2013 12:49 AM

I use the aforementioned Dakine pad with the built-in Velcro straps, and so far so good. The straps hold the bikes down just fine. The only thing I don't like about this pad is that there is a space between the two main sections of padded area (this is the "hinge" where the thing needs to fold to give it a slim profile over the tailgate), and this space always ends up being exactly where the downtube rests, meaning that the bike does not get the protection of the actual padding. Other than that, it works a treat.
Post a Reply to: New Tie Down Design to Increase Ride Time

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm