NEW Troy Lee Designs / Shock Doctor 5205 Wrist Support

3/24/2011 8:50am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 5:53pm
Have a recent wrist injury? TLD / Shock Dr might have just what you need...

I recently picked up the TLD / Shock Dr. WS 5205 wrist brace after breaking my wrist back in December 2010. At first I was a little weary of wrist support thinking it would be uncomfortable and might limit the movement I need for riding/racing DH, but I figured I would give it a shot.

The brace works on its own, under gloves, or outside of gloves. It is secured by 3 velcro straps that are pretty adjustable for your comfort, level of support, and to give you more options on how you can wear it. I tried it on its own, under gloves, and on top of gloves. Running the brace under the gloves limited it a bit because all gloves fit different and some gloves were too snug for the brace to fit under them (So I ran some of the gloves without doing the wrist strap, some gloves the brace fit just fine under).

I found that running the brace over the gloves works best for comfort and gives you complete freedom on what gloves you can use with it. Because of the material on the palm of the brace (reinforced leather - same as most gloves), I never noticed any decrease in my grip while riding. The material didn't bunch up in between my thumb / index finger either (I know, we all hate that feeling right?). The material on the bottom of the wrist and palm are super thin and lightweight, so you barely notice its there.

The brace has removable light weight plastic pieces that provide the stiff support for the brace (2 pieces per slot). You can remove them to customize the fit / feel of the brace to your liking. Something I noticed that was different than most other wrist protection is that the stiff support was on the back of the hand rather than the palm. I noticed this helps stabilize your wrist while riding. Like I mentioned earlier, I was a little weary on how how my range of movement would be when riding but this brace keeps your wrist in the perfect position to ride and just makes your wrist feel strong again. You just get all of the movement and stability you need.

(removable plastic inserts)

(there are 2 pieces per slot giving you pretty killer customization / fit)

With my injury I noticed after riding my wrist was a little sore, sometimes swollen, and weak. When using the brace, my wrist was no longer sore after riding some pretty serious DH and actually felt stronger after a ride rather than weaker.

Here is what my wrist looked like:

You can see the most obvious part of the break on the left part of the radius, what you can't really see is the fracture going across the whole growth plate of the wrist.

The bottom line here is that this product does its job. Its comfortable and gives your wrist the support it needs for this rough sport. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask. I am happy to help!

Information from www.troyleedesigns.com:

Constructed of vented neoprene with reinforced binding. A close-fitting micro-fiber synthetic leather palm gives it a glove-like feel.

Features:
-Shock Doctor technology
-Stability system supports wrist with an adjustable internal stay system for customized support & protection
-Extended wrist support enhances flex limits and load dispersion zone for increased protection and control
-Adjustable 3-strap closure ensures personal fit and multi-zone compression
-Glove compatible design for unobstructed grip
|
jptree
3/24/2011 12:07pm
Good write up Josh!
Dirtyslim69
3/24/2011 12:13pm
Very nice! I got one from sixsixone after my injury and this one looks a heck of a lot better. I have a problem with mine coming unstrapped and there goes my wrist flopping again. I am going to have to consider getting this New Troy Lee Design wrist brace.
Dingo Dave
3/24/2011 12:17pm
Interesting product for sure... but I think it should be noted that this brace isn't especially rigid so far as orthopaedic devices go, and it will not be appropriate to all wrist injuries (particularly if you are still in the acute stage of your injury).

In other words do not assume that this product will help your sore wrist. See a doctor or physio (preferably a sport med doc or sport physio) and ask their advice first Wink
3/24/2011 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2011 12:29pm
jptree,

Thanks dude!

Dirtyslim69,

Thanks!

I don't think you would have any trouble with this one coming unstrapped. The velcro on the straps are nice and big and the whole back of the brace is velcro so there is a ton of area to secure the straps to.

Dingo Dave,

Agreed. This is support equipment, not a medical device. You should definitely consult your doctor if you have a injury. In my particular case, my doctor thought it was a great idea / support / protective product.
3/24/2011 12:46pm
I broke my scaphoid last year June '10
got out of a cast December '10

i used a brace that my doctor prescribed, it's pretty bulky and looks like it came out of the '70's
it help me until my wrist became stronger.

Now I use the sleek elegant design by T.L.D.
It definitely helps and it's a lot more comfortable.

Quick XC ride
http://www.vimeo.com/21443892
3/24/2011 1:03pm
iMountainBike, nice! Good to see another happy rider using the brace!
stod
3/24/2011 3:37pm
I shattered my radius and scaphoid pretty damn bad about a year ago which required emergency surgery. Now I have a whole bunch of titanium and fake bone in my wrist. Once I started to ride again, which was about 5-6 months later, I used a brace that was solid and couldn't bend at all, then I used this one http://www.cyclezoneinc.com/allsport-ots-wrist-brace.htm which has multiple adjustments and noticed a huge difference. Not only did it secure my wrist from bumps and crashing but it was really comfortable. I'm not bashing on TLD but I know how it feels to have a screwed up wrist so this brace helped alot.
bturman
3/24/2011 5:54pm
stod wrote:
I shattered my radius and scaphoid pretty damn bad about a year ago which required emergency surgery. Now I have a whole bunch of titanium and...
I shattered my radius and scaphoid pretty damn bad about a year ago which required emergency surgery. Now I have a whole bunch of titanium and fake bone in my wrist. Once I started to ride again, which was about 5-6 months later, I used a brace that was solid and couldn't bend at all, then I used this one http://www.cyclezoneinc.com/allsport-ots-wrist-brace.htm which has multiple adjustments and noticed a huge difference. Not only did it secure my wrist from bumps and crashing but it was really comfortable. I'm not bashing on TLD but I know how it feels to have a screwed up wrist so this brace helped alot.
I'll back the OTS Wrist brace, too. Top notch product for anyone with a wrist injury.

TLD brace looks similar, but with limited mobility.
Krispy
3/24/2011 7:17pm
Nother shattered radius here 1.5 years ago...still wearing the OTS brace with the zero degree chip. Hoping to graduate to the TLD shock Dr. This would be great for snowboarding since it would fit under a snow glove.
Dingo Dave
3/25/2011 7:40am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2011 8:01am
That Allsport OTS wrist brace is now available through DonJoy Orthopaedics... really good product for more severe wrist injuries and you can find DJO dealers all over the world too.
It's the same one Gracia and Sam B wore after demolishing their wrists, way more rigid and adjustable... the sort of thing you would use before progressing to a lighter brace like the TLD one as your injury gets better.
lonchera
4/19/2012 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:21am
Hi!

I'm just getting out of a wrist fracture. They removed the cast this past Monday (4 days ago) so it is still stiff and a bit sore. It was my left wrist and I wanted to get something that not only supports my wrist, but that also protects it from future impacts (I DH race). If this would reduce the chances of getting another wrist injury I'd not only like it on my recently injured wrist, but also on my good one (right). So:

- is it good for protection or just support?
- how confortable is it? riding with one on each wrist sound like a good idea?
- are they long lasting?

Thanks in advance man!

Alejandro
Dirtyslim69
4/19/2012 12:37pm
lonchera wrote:
Hi! I'm just getting out of a wrist fracture. They removed the cast this past Monday (4 days ago) so it is still stiff and a...
Hi!

I'm just getting out of a wrist fracture. They removed the cast this past Monday (4 days ago) so it is still stiff and a bit sore. It was my left wrist and I wanted to get something that not only supports my wrist, but that also protects it from future impacts (I DH race). If this would reduce the chances of getting another wrist injury I'd not only like it on my recently injured wrist, but also on my good one (right). So:

- are they long lasting?

Thanks in advance man!

Alejandro
I ended up buying this cuz of this review.. Sadly I just lost it but I now have enough flexibility back in my wrist that I don't really need it. I can say that it is well supported, fits great over your gloves and is comfy (for the most part). The thumb loop got irritating after a hard downhill run or long rides. But when you are thinking about how much your protecting your wrist it out weights that con. Get it! it got me though a downhill season worry free when I injured my wrist and it lasts.
Dingo Dave
4/19/2012 12:37pm
How did you fall and what part of your wrist did you fracture?
lonchera
4/19/2012 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2016 10:21am
Dingo Dave wrote:
How did you fall and what part of your wrist did you fracture?
I fell on a pretty damn technical curve...it goes like this: really steep, rocky, thick dust layer, loose section ...sudden right turn with 4ft drop to steep,rocky,loose dusty....while turning for that curve my rear end slided a bit more than I wanted...ended up dropping sideways ...you can now imagine the fall and where

At some point during the crash I must have put my hand and crack...got 2 fissures on my radius and one on my ulna...luckily they where just fissures.
lonchera
4/19/2012 7:41pm
lonchera wrote:
Hi! I'm just getting out of a wrist fracture. They removed the cast this past Monday (4 days ago) so it is still stiff and a...
Hi!

- are they long lasting?

Thanks in advance man!

Alejandro
I ended up buying this cuz of this review.. Sadly I just lost it but I now have enough flexibility back in my wrist that I...
I ended up buying this cuz of this review.. Sadly I just lost it but I now have enough flexibility back in my wrist that I don't really need it. I can say that it is well supported, fits great over your gloves and is comfy (for the most part). The thumb loop got irritating after a hard downhill run or long rides. But when you are thinking about how much your protecting your wrist it out weights that con. Get it! it got me though a downhill season worry free when I injured my wrist and it lasts.
So...you'd recommend it just for my injured wrist? I wanted to prevent an injury on my healthy one as well...so I was wondering if that wouldn't be confortable at all and unnecesary....thoughts? basically protect and support my currently injured wrist, but the healthy one as well and incorporate this to my normal protective gear

Post a reply to: NEW Troy Lee Designs / Shock Doctor 5205 Wrist Support

The Latest