LACK of stopping power?

broom
Edited Date/Time 9/26/2014 5:23pm
I'm an amatuer at best but I have a simple HARO FL 29 with front and rear disc brakes. WHY don't thes brakes have the stopping power I thought that disc brakes would have? The retail shop where I purchased the bicycle said because the hoses were lengthened to accomodate the BMX style handlebars I wanted, that I need high performance mastercylinders? I only put 8 inch rise handlebars on the bike. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME? This thing won't even skid the tire in dirt
|
tmano2
9/25/2014 3:31pm
29ers need stronger brakes, when you brake the bigger the wheel the more force against braking it does
Skerby
9/25/2014 3:53pm
Might need a bleed.
broom
9/26/2014 8:24am
System has been bled, the pads have been "upgraded" to aftermarket ceramic, it does slow down better?, but I miss STOPPING!!!! I just want to know if I can leave my components in place and get away with replacing the LEVER/MASTER CYLINDERS? What brand name to choose?, and how much should this co$t????
9/26/2014 3:43pm
if you didn't seat them in correctly you would be surprised, its about a 20% reduction of stopping power that will never come back. your best bet is new pads and rotors and go about 10 mph and apply medium pressure on both breaks but not enough to break the rear loos. about 20 times and your breaks will be amazing, and well your at it look at the different break compounds and what will work best for your budget and weather. also a pair of ice tech or any 2 piece rotor will do you some good. another road is to also go up a size to get better power.
sspomer
9/26/2014 5:23pm
broom, what model/brand brakes are they? do you have the comp or pro version of that bike? either way, hydraulic discs should stop you well and definitely skid in the dirt, but knowing model of brake may help us here.

like connordoll said, you have to "bed in" the new pads/rotors w/ the technique above before you'll feel their full stopping power.

Post a reply to: LACK of stopping power?

The Latest