Goggles

swimfishy7
8/13/2014 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2014 12:02am
What is the difference between mtb goggles, snow goggles, and mx goggles? I have snow goggles and I was wondering if it made any difference or if it Is just a marketing thing.
|
bturman
8/13/2014 11:28pm
Typically snow goggles will use a dual lens system. Moto and mtb goggles are identical, and use just one lens.
Big Bird
8/14/2014 6:52am
Addidas eyewear at least used to make some great dual lens goggles meant for MTB. They had amazing anti fog properties.
8/15/2014 9:04am
100% Goggles offers a dual lens option although at a premium.
8/21/2014 9:01am
mtb goggles = mx goggles, these are designed to fit into your helmet.
the way the straps are attached to the goggles, make the goggle sit better into the helmet opening and your face.
the straps on mx goggles are usually attached more towards the front of the goggle frame so the goggles sink into the helmet, as snow goggles have the straps more towards the back of the frame.
they also have tear off posts.
as far as lens materials, most use a lexan lens, Oakley now uses a poly-carbonate lens on their new goggles, which has super clear vision, way way more impact resistant and wont shatter.

snow goggles might not fit best into a helmet some times as they are designed more to be worn with just an open face helmet, some might have better field of vision, and tend to be a little more money than MX goggles.

I used to wear some cheap snow goggles too when I started biking, didnt know better, and it worked for me at the time.
just make sure its comfortable and it works well.
my 2 cnts,
bikedude
8/21/2014 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2014 12:59pm
I have Oakley MX O-frame goggles that I use for skiing and biking. For this particular model, Oakley sells a couple dual lenses. I think a persimmon and a clear. The lenses are pretty easy to swap out and I haven't had any fogging issues biking with the one lens system. And its all relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
bblackyeti1
8/23/2014 5:39pm
I use the Smith Stance which is dual lens and it works pretty well for me
8/26/2014 6:23am
i was using my Oakley crowbar snow goggles before i got some fox but somehow the inner lens on the crowbars split straight down the middle. as i was riding i kept thinking it was a hair but then i wasnt able to pull the "hair" out so i pressed on it and found out it was a crack,

that brings me to say now that i have taken out the inner lens i just have one lense inside my goggles without the foam covering up the vents. Do you guys think i can ski with it like that or will it fog up extremely bad and ill have to buy a new lens for $50?

thanks
bikedude
8/26/2014 9:49pm
I would say one lens while skiing would fog really bad, but with the open vents I'm not as sure. That sucks that the lenses are 50 bucks.
9/7/2014 12:01am
Been using some Bollé Gravity goggles for months and they're by far the most comfortable and fog free goggles I've used. They're snow goggles but have outriggers to fit in full face helmets, and they look amazing! If you have a TLD D3 lid then they'll sit perfectly, like they were made for that helmet.

Post a reply to: Goggles

The Latest