Foot problems with SPD's

kvnsimons
Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 7:56am
I am having some ankle / nerve / plantar problems and am considering going to flats on my mtb. I ride and race a nomad, and have been riding spd's since the early 90's.

Anyway, I'm looking to ride a pedal with good surface area (to spread out the force of pedaling, and to lessen my foot bending "down" around the ball / axle of the pedal), and low in profile (I already pedal-strike a lot with SPD's...don't want to get hung up at 30mph in a rock garden).

Suggestions on pedals?

Suggestions on shoes? (very firm undersole, probably very grippy otherwise. I will probably run orthotic footbeds)...I used to love the more mid-cut of the shimano spd shoes, and wouldn't mind a fuller ankle to support some of the bullshit happening down there.

Thanks for any advice.
|
5/16/2016 9:36pm
You might want to check out these pedals http://www.pinkbike.com/news/pedaling-innovations-catalyst-flat-pedal-2015.html

I'd suggest the Five-Ten Impact High for shoes. They have great ankle support, tons of grip, a firm sole and good heel cushioning. You could also look into the Giro Jacket Mid. I believe they have a stiffer sole but they won't have suction cup grip of the FiveTens. You can also find them on sale right now.

Post a reply to: Foot problems with SPD's

The Latest