4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Brand-new to MTB, but a BMX veteran...

9/25/2013 3:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2013 3:47 PM

I'm brand new to the land of mountain biking, and I don't know where to start. I don't currently own a bike, but I'm wishing to buy one. Having raced BMX most of my life (and riding a little park and dirt on the side); I'm not too shabby when it comes to cycles, but this is a whole new world. I need some help finding a bike (I'd prefer a complete) in the $2000-2500 range (I could go a couple hundred higher, but that's it); I'm 6'3" 1/2 and my leg length is about 26 - 26 1/2 inches. I know this is probably not the exactly "right" place to propose this question, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Some other information that I should add: I'd prefer to have a full suspension bike, and I will most likely be using this for trails and some freeride (so I would hope for the suspension to be decent). I hope my budget is enough to meet my criteria and constraints, since whenever I look into different bikes all I see is hieroglyphics and $10k pricetags. Note that I am only looking for a bike to get into the sport, eventually I would upgrade to something better, yet I don't want to start off on the weong foot with a pice of junk that is more of a hassle to ride than a pleasure.

9/25/2013 8:54 PM

Welcome to the place and to bigger wheeling Nolms. There are a million options, but I'm a fan of single pivot bikes for their simplicity and lively feel and I live in Santa Cruz. (And briefly worked there and have owned a bunch.) So I'm going to say get a Heckler size large or maybe XL. If you want to save a bit and probably want the livelier feel of 26" wheels, get last years model used. Or you could get the new one with 27.5" wheels, which is where everybody seems to be going. Otherwise, there should be plenty to check out in the product zone and plenty to drool over in Bike Checks. Most importantly, ride as many bikes as you can. Friends, strangers, or as many bike shops as you care to visit. Find the one that makes you smile.
Post a Reply to: Brand-new to MTB, but a BMX veteran...

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm