A wheelset that does everything

Skorp
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2016 8:15am
Guys, i need some advice. My Mavic CrossRoc wheelset is dying.
i need a wheelset that i can use for park, enduro and actually climb with.
20x110 front hub and 12x142 rear. J-bend spokes is a plus, XD hub driver, 27.5", alloy rims or some proper heavy ass carbon rims and over 23mm internal width.
So do you have any idea?

The baseline, is a nice wheelset i found on a german website. DTSwiss 240S hubs, DTSwiss Revolution spokes and DTSwiss EX471 rims. 650eur and 1720g.. I want to buy this if nobody comes up with a better/cheaper option.

Wheelsets i have considered but ruled out:
Sram Rail 50 - Has basically the same hubs, weight and price. But with a less cool brand name.
Syntace W35 - can't find a cheap enough
SuperStarComponents - Switch "china" hubs, Sapim Laser spokes and DTSwiss FR570 rims. Good price, but unknown hubs and 2130g weight.
SuperStarComponents - Switch "china" hubs, Sapim Laser spokes and Flow EX rims. ok price, but not cheap and light..

Thanks
|
Primoz
1/30/2016 1:51am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2016 2:02am
Bah, can't read...

I was going to say to look at your last option, i've had good experience with the Switch hubs (only the freewheel outer bearing got stiff quite quickly, but the sealing wasn't that good on mine and they come with SKF bearings now - mind you i bought my wheelset in 2011 i think). A freidn of mine has a Tesla hubbed option o this and is happy (he races enduro), but his freewheel gave up the gost twice on the Tesla. He's now gone for a DT swiss hub in the rear.

As for DT Swiss, they are supposedly a bit on the soft side and can dent easily, but i'm running the XM1501 for the past year (Spline One with XM401 rims) on my Reign and i've had zero problems or dents, running tubeless. Also running tubeless on the previous (Switch) wheelset i've managed to dent the EX721 Mavic in the rear a couple of times, though i noticed that only after taking the tire off. That was on a 140 mm bike and i don't do bike parks.

With all the raving about EX471 i don't think you can go wrong with them.
Skorp
1/30/2016 3:09am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2016 3:11am
I forgot to mention, i own a Giant Glory with the same wheelset, 240S hubs, EX471 rims but with SuperCompetition spokes.
I have been really surprised how much these can handle. I'm selling the Glory, as i only use it in parks.. My enduro bike handle that stuff easily if i dont have bad CrossRoc wheels

Since the lighter EX471 work soo good on my Glory, i think the Switch/FR570 wheelset would be overkill on my enduro, but the extra width of the rim would be good. 2150g is heavy on those climbs though!

Before the DTSwiss wheels i had Mavix Deemax Ultimate wheels, was happy but put some flatspots on them. I actually think the EX471 is just as good.

Before that i had EX721rims on 240S hubs
The mavic EX721 rims are really shit, i had a new dent after every ride.. I had to straighten out the rim bead several times front and rear because the tyre would fall off if i did not..

At the time i had DTSwiss EX500 rims on a 240S rear hub and a nukeproof front hub on my trail bike. They dented easily aswell.

In my earlier days i had in chronological order: Ragley wheelset, Deemax Ultimate, MTX wheelset, 2x Sunringle wheelset with Singletrack rims, some Spezialiced cheap stuff and a set of old Deemax.
When i had this Deemax Ultimate wheelset i started learning how to ride lines and not just mash my bikes into rockgardens. So my experience from the older wheelsets doesn't count.

Today there is alot of unknown wheelset out to me and i therefor don't know if the EX471 is as good as my experience tells. Wheels like E-thirteen, Nukeproof, Easton, Spank, Hope etc..
Sesame Seed
1/31/2016 4:42pm
I have Syntace Rims, the W35 also. Built with Pro2EVO, 150mmx12 / 20mm and double butted DTComp/brass nipples the weight is 1800g. I've had to straighten these after every Enduro, they do respond to input very well and have predictable interaction with terrain.
I have to rebuild the rear wheel now, the rims are wide however. Syntace has a sale on 27.5 right now.
2/8/2016 11:52am
We haven't finished testing these yet, but so far, we're impressed. Slightly heavier than your target build, but definitely a solid option: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Rear-Hubs,45/Hope-Technology/Pro-4,16827

Spank's Oozy wheelset is another really good option, especially considering the price: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Wheelsets,44/Spank/Oozy-Trail295-Bead-Bite,14455#product-reviews/1758/expand
Sesame Seed
2/10/2016 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2016 4:06pm
Don't let the comment about having to true my wheels after racing effect your decision making process. I weigh right around 200lbs, and go against the advisement of Syntace and wander into DH territory with racing.

With any wide rim though, tire selection is pretty critical.
THooker
2/10/2016 11:28pm
I would recommend i9s, although they break your j bend criteria. Plus you get flashy colors
Skorp
2/11/2016 1:53am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2016 1:57am
I weigh 210lbs, so i need to maintain my wheels often aswell, or else they will just get mashed real fast.

I don't want straightpull. Its more common to have most normal lenghts of j-bend spokes in stock and maybe some lenghts of straighpull. If i get the derailleur in the wheel and break some spokes it will be a hassle with sraightpull spokes. Offcourse, i can get spare spokes in advance.. so maybe that is not a valid point.

I think i will go with the DTSwiss wheels anyways. I don't think there is a wheelset that meets my criterea better.
Sesame Seed
2/11/2016 3:34am
Skorp wrote:
I weigh 210lbs, so i need to maintain my wheels often aswell, or else they will just get mashed real fast. I don't want straightpull. Its...
I weigh 210lbs, so i need to maintain my wheels often aswell, or else they will just get mashed real fast.

I don't want straightpull. Its more common to have most normal lenghts of j-bend spokes in stock and maybe some lenghts of straighpull. If i get the derailleur in the wheel and break some spokes it will be a hassle with sraightpull spokes. Offcourse, i can get spare spokes in advance.. so maybe that is not a valid point.

I think i will go with the DTSwiss wheels anyways. I don't think there is a wheelset that meets my criterea better.
The Syntace rims were designed to ultimately use the ProCore setup, something not available when switching out. Sure to add to rim rigidity.
LLLLL
2/11/2016 11:22am
iceman2058 wrote:
We haven't finished testing these yet, but so far, we're impressed. Slightly heavier than your target build, but definitely a solid option: [url=http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Rear-Hubs,45/Hope-Technology/Pro-4,16827]http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Rear-Hubs,45/Hope-Technology/Pro-4,16827[/url] Spank's Oozy wheelset...
We haven't finished testing these yet, but so far, we're impressed. Slightly heavier than your target build, but definitely a solid option: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Rear-Hubs,45/Hope-Technology/Pro-4,16827

Spank's Oozy wheelset is another really good option, especially considering the price: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Wheelsets,44/Spank/Oozy-Trail295-Bead-Bite,14455#product-reviews/1758/expand
have the 295 spank rims, they are very very impressive, hope hubs are bullit proof and double butted spokes. can't go wrong.
Losvar
3/4/2016 8:15am
I have a set of WTB i25 on Hope hubs, and they have been bulletproof for me so far.
Not a single dent, despite bombing rock gardens like a mongo.
I am however pretty light at 75 kg with gear.

Post a reply to: A wheelset that does everything

The Latest