4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

26/650B is to DH as 250/450 is to Moto?

2/24/2014 2:10 PM

After reading some thoughts from the pro riders that are running 650B bikes now and seeing their thoughts on the pros and cons of it. Does anyone else think it would be interesting to see if we not just raced jr and pro, but had seperate classes for 26 and 650B like how moto races a 250 and 450 class? I wouldn't want to see the athletes split to race one or the other, but it would be interesting to see racers race the same course on different sizes and see how the results differ. How different the times are and such! Clearly our sport isnt big enough, and not all teams have the resources to be able to do that. However does anyone think this could be the next step in the wheel game? Enough debating which is better lets just race both and see what the results tell us! I dont expect UCI to ever adopt something like this but even seeing a time trial of some pro riders that do a few runs on a 26 then 650b or the other way around, then average them out and see what was consistently faster. Clearly every track is different like PMB favors a larger wheel size much more then more technical tracks, but im sure most the other tracks could have an interesting split! Curious what other peoples opinions are on something like this?

2/24/2014 6:39 PM

Excellent topic. But I don't personally think a good idea. But it brings up another idea. Sure almost every open minded company is carefully testing all of the options, but some are just dead set one way or the other, or the other. It would be interesting to put together a gravity event where each racer does three runs, one on each wheel size. The speed/time data would be there for everyone to see and compare and the overall winner is truly the fastest regardless of wheel size.

2/24/2014 7:00 PM

I think you'll see some pretty definitive race results this season. No need to have separate classes.

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Facebook and Twitter.

2/25/2014 3:09 PM

I personally don't like the idea because some people are faster on a 26 where as others are faster on a 27.5. it all comes down to riding style. a rule like this would limit the possibilities.
Post a Reply to: 26/650B is to DH as 250/450 is to Moto?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm