2017 Racing Rumors

1/9/2017 1:32pm
Oh damn, AG not tagging YT, he must be leaving the mob! [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/09/4689/s1200_IMG_6524.jpg[/img] :laugh: :laugh:
Oh damn, AG not tagging YT, he must be leaving the mob!

LaughingLaughing
clearly you don't do your research very well.
Do you take everything in life so seriously? It's a piss take from when every chunk was jumping on the "OMG Brook Mac isn't raging GT any more, he must be leaving" bandwagon.
1/9/2017 1:35pm
Oh damn, AG not tagging YT, he must be leaving the mob! [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/09/4689/s1200_IMG_6524.jpg[/img] :laugh: :laugh:
Oh damn, AG not tagging YT, he must be leaving the mob!

LaughingLaughing
Do you take everything in life so seriously? It's a piss take from when every chunk was jumping on the "OMG Brook Mac isn't raging GT...
Do you take everything in life so seriously? It's a piss take from when every chunk was jumping on the "OMG Brook Mac isn't raging GT any more, he must be leaving" bandwagon.
do you post BS just to get a rise out of people?
MTB_ME_911
1/9/2017 1:53pm
Do you take everything in life so seriously? It's a piss take from when every chunk was jumping on the "OMG Brook Mac isn't raging GT...
do you post BS just to get a rise out of people?
You weren't upset with all the other sarcastic stuff posted earlier in the feed, what changed now??

Are you having a rough day? Want to talk about it? Need a tissue? I'm here for you man. We all are.
xc2dh99
1/9/2017 2:03pm
nikos023 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/09/4686/s1200_IMG_0183.jpg[/img]

The stem clamps, one of them is on backwards.
metadave
1/9/2017 2:30pm
Inside source says Neko to Diamondback/Mayan goat sacrifices

You heard it here first
1/9/2017 2:51pm
sspomer wrote:
we stumbled across some interesting specialized / ohlins testing pics on a random linked-in account [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/09/4682/s1200_CER_8665a.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/09/4683/s1200_CER_7176a.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/09/4684/s1200_CER_6740a.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/forums/2017/01/09/4685/s1200_CER_7515.jpg[/img]
we stumbled across some interesting specialized / ohlins testing pics on a random linked-in account

Well that's definitely not a sram or shimano shifter in that pic I'll say that much
1/9/2017 2:52pm
Also confirmed that Ohlins have got a new fork chassis - blue o-ring so unlikely to be a boxxer
kev.1n
1/9/2017 3:01pm
Really curious why the specialized team is running formula brakes now. Are they that much better than avid codes or other offerings from sram? I remember gwin tested them before signing TRP

Looking forward hearing their reasoning behind the switch
1/9/2017 3:02pm
kev.1n wrote:
Really curious why the specialized team is running formula brakes now. Are they that much better than avid codes or other offerings from sram? I remember...
Really curious why the specialized team is running formula brakes now. Are they that much better than avid codes or other offerings from sram? I remember gwin tested them before signing TRP

Probably the money. Or they bailed on sram entirely.
bturman
1/9/2017 3:50pm
A few words from SRAM about Luca Shaw moving on:

Thanks for the Ride, Kid.

Luca Shaw is departing the SRAM – Troy Lee Designs Racing Team, but he wouldn’t change his SRAM family experience “for the world”

The seeds of the SRAM – TLD mountain bike team were sown with a couple of talented brothers and a wager of sorts. It was the opening rounds of the 2013 World Cup season, and SRAM MTB Sports Marketing Manager John Dawson issued a challenge: Be in the top three in the Junior World Cup overall standings after the first two events, and “we’ll get you to the rest of the World Cup races.”

Luca, in his first season as a Junior, cashed in on that bet, has been a World Cup contender ever since, and in 2014, the SRAM – TLD team was formed around Luca, older brother Walker, as well as XC rider Russell Finsterwald.

The team gained a lot of attention and collected results immediately, with successful rides from Russell and Walker at the Sea Otter Classic, and from Luca in the opening round of the World Cup. And it was a program that was worthy of that attention, with its focus truly on helping to properly develop talented young riders.

Of that initial roster, Luca has captured most of the limelight. He finished 2nd overall in the Junior World Cup in 2014. He cracked the top ten just a few rounds into his inaugural Elite World Cup season in 2015. He rode to his first Elite World Cup podium and finished in the top ten overall in 2016. And his style, on and off the bike, has been compared to some of mountain biking’s greats.

A career path like Luca’s attracts a lot of attention and a lot of opportunities. And with many offers on the table, he decided to make a change.

“That’s the thing that I definitely want to make clear,” Luca explains. “In all honesty, making the decision to leave SRAM – TLD and go on to something different was easily the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make. It was so hard because of what we had as a team—I don’t even like to use the word ‘team’ because it felt way more just like a group of friends or family.

“For the past three-and-a-half years I’ve been traveling with all of the SRAM guys. It’s been so good for me in so many ways. I think [that] where it’s been so different is that I had to do a lot of stuff on my own, and I had to learn a lot of stuff on my own. I didn’t have a lot of the stuff that, especially when I was a junior, the other big teams and competitors had. But, I wouldn’t want it any other way. I learned so much and I had so much more fun doing it that way. And also, I learned to appreciate every little thing that was given to me.”

“It was a tough choice. I don’t regret my decision at all — I think it’s time [for me] to go on to something different. But for that point in my life and my career, the whole [SRAM – TLD] atmosphere, and the way it was structured…I couldn’t have asked for anything more. I think it was the perfect way for me to learn and grow as a racer — and as a person. Traveling with a bunch of people you enjoy being around, and all that, it’s huge. It was a tough choice, and I’m definitely going to miss those guys. I’ve made some friends that I know I’m gonna’ have forever.”

As his potential began to manifest itself in ever more impressive results, SRAM brought on a full-time mechanic to make sure Luca’s bikes and other race-weekend duties were handled, so that the young World Cup star could focus completely on racing.

“I think it’s good to have to earn that support, earn all of that help,” says Luca. “I remember muddy races, washing my bike, and being like, ‘Ahh, this sucks.’ But then finally, last year when I had a full-time mechanic doing that all for me, you realize that it’s so nice and really a huge benefit — and you really learn to appreciate it, when you have it.”

“That’s another astonishing fact is that in the last three years with SRAM – TLD as a team, I have not had a single mechanical in qualifying or finals in a World Cup. That speaks for itself as far as support, the program and the products that we ran. I think we did it right.

“Wouldn’t change if for the world.”

- Photos by Sven Martin, Adrian Marcoux and Victor Lucas

www.sram.com
glucia805
1/9/2017 4:10pm
Well that's definitely not a sram or shimano shifter in that pic I'll say that much
Looks a lot like a Box shifter.
bturman
1/9/2017 6:27pm
What could it mean? @bojoeman dropping hints of things to come with the Syndicate.

nickb01
1/9/2017 6:32pm
glucia805 wrote:
Looks exactly like an X01dh shifter to me, just at an odd angle, and there's clearly an X01dh rear derailleur in the first pic.

That's not to say they won't be running or testing Box at some stage though.
Primoz
1/9/2017 9:37pm
The bottom lever most definitelly looks like a Sram X01 lever.
Primoz
1/9/2017 9:38pm
glucia805 wrote:
A Box shifter has two bolts on the underside of the lever, not a single large bolt, like in the picture and like Sram uses.
tmano2
1/10/2017 3:31am
kev.1n wrote:
Really curious why the specialized team is running formula brakes now. Are they that much better than avid codes or other offerings from sram? I remember...

this new formula brake that uses mineral oil wich the old models didn't only came out to the pros late last year, so gwin couldn't test them as they were no out yet
1/10/2017 3:35am
Primoz wrote:
The bottom lever most definitelly looks like a Sram X01 lever.
It's most definitely a box shifter, check out how big and clunky it looks compared to a smooth sram one and how far it sits from the bars just like in this picture

JoeyHooo
1/10/2017 5:35am

Bruni still riding Sram on his Enduro. But means nothing I think.
Oz_Taylor
1/10/2017 7:33am Edited Date/Time 1/10/2017 7:35am
kev.1n wrote:

It's usually a Fox/Shimano vs RockShox/SRAM split for many WC factory teams.

The switch to Ohlins might have had some effect on the support or funding compared to running a complete SRAM setup. So much so that they are now looking other manufacturers for performance or to generate revenue.

It seems to be the same for the Specialized Enduro boys too, with the option of running Magura brakes as they aren't tied in to some huge suspension/gearing/kit deal with SRAM.

Maybe Gwin set a precedent, hand picking the manufacturers he wanted to work with and also who would pay the most money. He's a smart guy. I think SRAM's slightly bitter press release said it all last year, after Gwin announced the TRP brake sponsorship.

I could be wrong but there seems to be an all or nothing approach to SRAMs big team sponsorship. It's totally understandable, but it is allowing smaller manufacturers to get their products into the WC teams and into the public eye.

DubC
1/10/2017 9:43am
Wow - SRAM looses Specialized factory, that is big news after they lost Gwin last year and considering how close SRAM is with Specialized. Makes you wonder if they are having $ issues despite taking Shimano to school on 1x sales the past few years. Is Race Face sponsoring any key DH athletes / Teams this year? Seems like they have been a bit quite on the WC circuit...

Lots of shakeups. Who will SRAM and RockShox have as a World Cup overall or World Champ threat? Seems like a few "unofficial" guys on drivetrains....but on RockShox - No Hart, No Syndicate, No Specialized, No Gwin, .... Brosnan on Canyon maybe?
Primoz
1/10/2017 9:46am
It's most definitely a box shifter, check out how big and clunky it looks compared to a smooth sram one and how far it sits from...
It's most definitely a box shifter, check out how big and clunky it looks compared to a smooth sram one and how far it sits from the bars just like in this picture

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/box-one-derailleur-shifter-first-ride-2016…
The video thumbnail in the middle of the article shows you how the current shifter from BOX looks on the underside. It's similar to the previous prototypes. And it has a narrow lever stalk.

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/18/84/35/78/photo_11.jpg
This is what an X01 shifter looks like. Notice a much thicker, hollow stalk. And the single large silver bolt for the lever, not a par of small black bolts.

Of course this is based on what we have seen BOX wise. They could have a new proto in the making. But in the current form, this looks like an X01 lever to me.
Primoz
1/10/2017 9:57am
Oz_Taylor wrote:
It's usually a Fox/Shimano vs RockShox/SRAM split for many WC factory teams. The switch to Ohlins might have had some effect on the support or funding...
It's usually a Fox/Shimano vs RockShox/SRAM split for many WC factory teams.

The switch to Ohlins might have had some effect on the support or funding compared to running a complete SRAM setup. So much so that they are now looking other manufacturers for performance or to generate revenue.

It seems to be the same for the Specialized Enduro boys too, with the option of running Magura brakes as they aren't tied in to some huge suspension/gearing/kit deal with SRAM.

Maybe Gwin set a precedent, hand picking the manufacturers he wanted to work with and also who would pay the most money. He's a smart guy. I think SRAM's slightly bitter press release said it all last year, after Gwin announced the TRP brake sponsorship.

I could be wrong but there seems to be an all or nothing approach to SRAMs big team sponsorship. It's totally understandable, but it is allowing smaller manufacturers to get their products into the WC teams and into the public eye.

Wouldn't you want to have a team you're sponsoring running all of your kit that you make? Considering you can buy arandom frame and EVERYTHING else, bar tires and the seat, from Sram. And a fork fender.
Primoz
1/10/2017 9:59am
DubC wrote:
Wow - SRAM looses Specialized factory, that is big news after they lost Gwin last year and considering how close SRAM is with Specialized. Makes you...
Wow - SRAM looses Specialized factory, that is big news after they lost Gwin last year and considering how close SRAM is with Specialized. Makes you wonder if they are having $ issues despite taking Shimano to school on 1x sales the past few years. Is Race Face sponsoring any key DH athletes / Teams this year? Seems like they have been a bit quite on the WC circuit...

Lots of shakeups. Who will SRAM and RockShox have as a World Cup overall or World Champ threat? Seems like a few "unofficial" guys on drivetrains....but on RockShox - No Hart, No Syndicate, No Specialized, No Gwin, .... Brosnan on Canyon maybe?
Race face (and Easton) is now owned by Fox Shox, which is usually paired with Shimano. So you often have a conflict of interest here, since Shimano also makes bars, stems, cranks, wheels, etc.

Post a reply to: 2017 Racing Rumors

The Latest