4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

A New Bicycle Friendly Vacation Destination

6/7/2013 8:37 AM

Sorry if I sound like a commercial but I wanted to share these notes with my fellow MTBers.

Would you believe that a sleepy, retirement community in Southwest, Florida has become a travel destination for cyclists of all types including Triathletes and Mountain Bikers? Of course not, that sounds crazy! However, it happens to be true. The small, seaside city of Venice, Florida has been deemed a "Bicycle Friendly Community" and for good reasons.

First off, they have built a rail trail that runs from Sarasota to Venice Island that has seen as many as 17,000 riders in a single month. Read about the Legacy Trail here.

Secondly, the city has also become host to the R3 Revolution triathlon as well as it's own Venice YMCA Triathlon.

Third and most recently, a series of Singletrack Mountain bike trails has been built in the nearby T. Mabry Carlton Reserve State Park. Read about the New Trails here.

All of these events are supported by very active local bike shops (Real Bikes and Bicycles International). If you are a cyclist of any type and are looking for a vacation destination, your options have just expanded.

You can find my writing, videos and reviews at: Bog Dogs Secret Stash

8/8/2013 5:36 AM

We just received confirmation last night that SCORR (Sarasota County Off Road Riders) has been asked to build singletrack in the Myakka State Forrest in the town of Englewood. The expansion of MTB trails continues.

You can find my writing, videos and reviews at: Bog Dogs Secret Stash

Post a Reply to: A New Bicycle Friendly Vacation Destination

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm