4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Tool Kit Must Haves

2/21/2012 4:18 PM

Hi all, I'm new to the board but not to the site. This place is awesome! I am so excited to find a community of riders who are concerned with bigger questions than color matching componentry nuances.

My question to the vital mechanics out there is: What are you must have bike tools for home/race day wrenching? I am building my tool kit piece by piece to support my new ride (Transition Bandit) and I want to know with what tools should I start. I already have the basics- chain breaker, allens, torx, nipple wrench. The reason I don't have more in my kit is because up until this year I have been on a Surly KM in rigid-SS form which required nothing more than the most basic of maintenance and repairs.

Thoughts?

2/22/2012 8:47 AM

I always make sure that I have all the tools to tighten any pivots, no matter how big an allen it takes. I have a 10mm allen that I cut down to make it lighter. Also a small adjustable wrench.

2/22/2012 9:34 AM

TEN DOLLAR BILL.

WORKS FOR FREE.

2/22/2012 4:18 PM

Hmmm...

Sounds like you could use a bleed kit, crank tool (depending on your crank style, many are self-extracting now), bb tool, cone wrenches for your hubs, cassette tool and chain whip. If you're building bikes, a hacksaw, star nut setter, headset press are all needed.

Oh, and zip ties. Lot and lots of zip ties.

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Facebook and Twitter.

2/23/2012 9:54 AM

Thanks for the advice!

2/23/2012 11:00 AM

I'd hate to have a tool kit without a set of these knipex pliers:

And your race day kit should definitely have a few bucks in it because you never know when you'll need to buy a tube off someone in the parking lot (or if they give it to you, at least you can pay them back a tube when you're not trying to rush to the starting line).

2/23/2012 4:31 PM

k.shiz wrote: I'd hate to have a tool kit without a set of these knipex pliers:

And your race day kit should definitely have a few bucks in it because you never know when you'll need to buy a tube off someone in the parking lot (or if they give it to you, at least you can pay them back a tube when you're not trying to rush to the starting line).

I have been looking for something like this for years! Thanks for the tip shiz!

2/23/2012 6:18 PM

Moga was the one that tipped me off to those things. In the last few years of having them in my toolbox, they have become favorites. Get a medium and large set and you're good for years and years. They aren't that cheap but when it comes to tools, you buy nice or you get bloody knuckles!

2/24/2012 5:33 AM

Like bturman said, definitely get a cassette lockring tool, chainwhip (or make one) and an adjustable wrench to use the lockring tool. A good cable cutter will come in handy too.
Post a Reply to: Tool Kit Must Haves

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm