4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Replacing regular forks with suspension forks?

5/24/2011 9:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/24/2011 10:09 AM

I've got the scott yz 0.2 (2011) And Im looking to replace the forks with rock shox dart one suspension forks, How would I do this? and would I need different bearings or stem?

5/24/2011 12:56 PM

The only thing you'll need (besides the new fork), it a star-nut. It's a funky little nut that gets jammed inside of the steerer tube and holds your stem tight. Your stem and headset/bearings will work just fine with the new fork.

If it's your first time changing out forks, I'd suggest taking it to a shop and watching them do it so you can learn the process.

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Facebook and Twitter.

5/26/2011 10:00 AM

Ive replaced bmx forks before and that worked fine, thanks for the advice bro

11/23/2011 5:26 AM

What about if my Star nut doesn't seem to get tight ? is there a torque spec on this nut ? I am having problem keeping my headset bearings tight.

11/23/2011 10:56 AM

Generally, the star nut is always over sized and is press fit into the steertube. In the course of my wrenching career, I've only seen a couple of star nuts that slipped in the fork. If that's the case, smack it out the bottom and try a new one. Otherwise, you may not be tightening your (Side) stem bolts enough so that when you beat on it, the steer tube can flex a bit and pull the star nut up the tube. Check that.

11/23/2011 12:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2011 12:05 PM

MXRACER wrote: What about if my Star nut doesn't seem to get tight ? is there a torque spec on this nut ? I am having problem keeping my headset bearings tight.

Are you loosening your stem bolts before tightening your star nut bolt, and then retightening the stem bolts? The order is important. Your stem has to be loose in order for the headset to get tightened.

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Facebook and Twitter.

Post a Reply to: Replacing regular forks with suspension forks?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm