4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

2007 Yeti 303

6/18/2013 5:20 PM

Hi everyone.

Its been quite some time since I've ridden & raced downhill and i have a couple of questions. There is a nicely refurbished 303 on offer and i wondered what you guys think about them? The frame has been acid dipped, checked, painted, new bushing n bearings through out apart from the sliders and the cars (which are said to be ok).
Also what do they jump like, alright or total pig to fly? I understand its a racing orientated DH bike but I've always favored a rig that's "live" i.e. easy to "pop" and "flick" whether it be off roots or big peaked doubles.

Cheers

6/19/2013 9:07 AM

I'd say no... those bikes are heavy and have a lot of maintenance issues- the cars/tracks wear out and there are about 50 bolts holding everything together. Also I believe they are more of a plow bike. Pass.

I would look for something more simple and common.

6/19/2013 2:53 PM

Really? Arr well lust and temptation got the better of and i bought it. Attached

6/20/2013 5:09 PM

Has anyone here owned one of these?

What a good base line to set the sus up by...sag numbers (free sag and race sag)?

Also the rear action seems a little gritty. Going to try force some 10w50 though the grease bleed nipples while stroking through the travel and or take the bugger apart and clean off any shit i find.

6/23/2013 2:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2013 5:30 PM

Alright well i contacted the dealers and now have a manual (link below or those that are interested)

http://www.yeticycles.com/pdf/manuals/0607OwnersManual303DH.pdf

Rear sus is now all good! Whipped off the rails, dremeled out some minor roughage...looked as though the bearings had punched little divots for themselves into the rails at the beginning of the stroke. Marinated cars in petrol. Dried. Greased. And is now a proper little goer.

Next up, forks and brakes.
Forks (rock shox boxxer race 2007) have only 4 clicks of comp adjustment? If anyone has any ideas then I'm all ears
Front brake (avid Juicy 7) is increasingly loosing feel and power at the lever. Lever can now be pulled to the bar before little happens at the caliper end. Not noticed any weeping fluids. M.C. seals perhaps?

6/24/2013 12:40 AM

To be honest, i would by new forks and brakes. the forks are a thing of the past. alot has happened in 6 years, and the brakes, have you bleed them? make sure there is no air in the line.

6/24/2013 1:59 PM

Fair enough. I've never owned a pair of boxxers nor rock shox for that matter. Think I'll stick with them for a while longer since they felt pretty good the other day. What would you rate as a good or should i say better DH fork?

I'll try bleeding it when the kit comes through but it was all A ok a couple of days ago...now sudden loss of pressure? Just wondered if there were any common problems or weaknesses with the avid juicy's i should know about

6/24/2013 2:44 PM

As long as they feel good that is okay. im just trying to think about the brakes. the only thing i can think of is air in the line, or a split. try bleeding them, check for splits again, but if that doesnt work, i cant help you anymore.

6/26/2013 10:34 AM

You have a good frame there. I ride a 2010 303 with the rail and it does require a slight bit more maintenance than some other frames but all in all, its nothing horrible. In buying a used DH bike, I always check brake rotors for wear, install new brake pads, bleed brakes, check all bolts, fluid and seal change in forks, and then go flog myself down the mountain.

Good find and most importantly, have fun mate!

6/26/2013 2:44 PM

arrr thanks mate. Whats the 2010 frame like, i see it's quite different using a single rail? Any set up tips?

Just as soon as i dial into this bike i know it'll be a right ripper.
Pus points:
It pedals surprisingly well
The few drops i have taken so far it has taken with ease making me wonder what i can throw myself off next.
It's also handling "chop" better than i thought...there's some serious looking braking chop exaggerated by exposed roots which she's impressing me over.
How well is this frame designed in terms of smoothness, clatter, play and such? Its a 2007 and not a creak, clatter, chain slap or anything. Almost all my other rides advertise their decent with derailleur smashing, chain slapping sound tracks. Not this one

Bad points:
Easy to wheelie under peddling yet total pig to manual (higher rise bars needed perhaps)?
Hard to bunny hop without performing exaggerated gymnastics....getting way off the back, pre-loading the shock before rowing back to the front is not the one when your carrying good pace down technical runs.

6/26/2013 2:53 PM

Single pivot, single rail makes for less maintenance. It works well though. I enjoy the bike but will soon be replacing with something different...the time has just come.

Setup tips eh....I dont think any of my settings will work for you considering different frame, riding styles, shock, and terrain. Im of no help there. haha

6/26/2013 8:23 PM

Really!? Have you any pics? I have a friend that's suddenly inspired by my new purchase and is considering a 303 past or present

6/26/2013 8:28 PM

Not worth me showing man. Trying to ship international is expensive and a pain in the ass. Sorry mate!
Post a Reply to: 2007 Yeti 303

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm