4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Whaddabout, if MTB and BMX combined?

7/3/2013 9:29 PM

So I just finished watching Ryan Nyquist's YouTube channel, which ended with the Red Bull Elevation BMX dirt jump contest in Whistler. The course was amazingly fun looking and any mountain bike freestyler worth his pay would have a ball on it. If Red Bill spends all this money on BMX comps and a ton of money on MTB comps, why not just throw one comp to serve all comers? That way even more money and love could be put into every course. With wheel sizes on the move, I would suggest three classes, twenty, twenty four, and twenty six, all technology allowed. (Meaning suspension and brakes. Anyone remember the Brooklyn Machine Works Big Air?) Wait, screw that. One comp with an amazing course with numerous line options to suit riding styles of all kinds. All technology allowed, from rigid BMX to full on downhill bike. If you think ti's the tool for the job, use it.

7/8/2013 11:06 PM

Where the hell is everybody? I'll just talk amongst myself. I just watched the Dane Searles (RIP hope I spelled your name right.) vid of the huge jumps in Australia. 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and here came another idea. Are those jumps, or the bulk of them, still around? Why not resurrect them for an all comers, any bike, any wheel size, any technology Dane Searles memorial jump off? Make it a charity event. Leave it up to his family. How bout for Stay Strong? I bet Dane would approve.

7/10/2013 7:39 PM

Big Bird,

I agree. The outlaws of dirt contest had mtb and bmx categories. Not your utopian vision, but getting there.

I was coincidentally pondering this when watching x-games. Yeah, the drops might have been a lil much for 20 ". But if there are bmxers who would have dropped in, why limit the possibilities?

BMXers are realizing mtb is cool like Chad Kagy and Josh hult. They have the conviction to actually try 26es.

If there was a comp with everything I'm sure it would be nothing short of ground breaking.

7/23/2013 6:41 AM

I think MTB has some catching up to do before we can compete along side BMX.

Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

7/23/2013 9:33 AM

A lot of those tricks have already been done on a mountain bike and it's just a matter of time before the rest fall.

7/23/2013 9:36 AM

You may be right, but BMX doesn't seem to slow down and MTB can't seem to catch up with a moving target.

7/23/2013 1:46 PM

Forgive my extreme vagueness, but Greg Watts got 3rd place in a dirt jump comp with bmx and mtb competing alongside each other somewhere in the caribbean or something like that.

If BMX and MTB dirt jump were grouped together, the separation might not be as huge as you think.

The whole point would be to bring together varied disciplines of shredders. This would convey to the general public the diversity of style and possibility of tricks on two wheels.

8/18/2013 8:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/12/2013 7:29 AM

I'm not sure you want you mean. I guess im not really read cause its too long lol. But people do BMX street on MTB. Some people call it Trashbike or plus size bmx which is sick. I tried to build up a setup but lost funds and interest cause no one really does it here. Its only really big in Euro and Aussie but yeah look up Trashbike and plus size bmx. Both sick sites.

theres tons on youtube of kids really killing it on 26" street

9/8/2013 8:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2013 8:17 PM

I haven't seen much Trashbike, but it seems to me that Plus Sized is just saying/asking/pointing out the same thing I am. The two aspects of the sport are growing together rapidly. My friends and I were emulating BMX a decade ago (I've got a single crown DHO with a grind peg on it for example.) and the amount of time from when a BMX rider does a trick until someone does it on an MTB is getting shorter and shorter. Why not save sponsor money and grow both sports at the same time by combining competitions? That Red Bull Dream Line contest? I'm sure all of the slope style pros were chomping at the bit to get a chance at those jumps. If they show up and bust out, it lights a fire under some BMX ass and we're all better off for it. What's wrong with that? Oh and reading is good. It gives you information.

9/27/2013 9:28 AM

NOT TROLLING: Coming from both sports really BMX and MTB on dirt are very similar. I actually hit bigger jumps on my MTB (probably because its less twitchy and more forgiving... and I have brakes, ha). However, on street and park you are really talking some non-sense to say MTB and BMX are even close at current time. If I go to the skatepark on my MTB i'm probably the only kid there doing legitimate tricks on a MTB and even the worse BMXers there can almost out do me. The bigger wheels, while smoother, are a lot harder to get technical on. Just my $.02.

9/27/2013 3:47 PM

Troll all you want That was a nickname of mine before Big Bird. I've also been known as The Horse. I've never really understood what an internet troll was. I guess Unnecessary Internet Asshole is a good definition. I propose that we call them UIAs from now on in order to protect the good name of trolls the world over. What ever, sometimes you just have to be an ass. Not that I'm calling you an ass. Anyway, you have a valid point. But then, there isn't as much of a park culture in MTB. If some of the prime MTB park riders were invited to some comps, they might not totally embarrass themselves and might inspire more to sharpen their skills and give it a go. And for the general record, I'm not just crying about mountain bikes not being let into the BMX games. There's no reason why BMXers shouldn't be able to join in on the mountain bike fun. If someone on a rigid 20" thinks that they can hang at Crankworks or Birgline or a freeking World Cup DH race, who are we to say no. If the course is built, why not make the most of it and take on all comers? Again I'll use the term "Back in My day" a pro downhiller with a BMX background (I think it was Cecil Johns.) protested the tame nature of the Shasta Lemurian Downhill course by racing and winning it on his BMX bike. He was stripped of the medal because it wasn't a mountain bike. I say bullshit. If you run a mountain bike race on a BMX track, then a BMX should win. Give him the prize and use a proper course next time. I dream of the perfect somewhere in between, where more money can be put into the course because more people will be chomping at the bit to ride it.

10/10/2013 10:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2013 10:19 AM

10/15/2013 11:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2013 12:02 PM

Red Bull Wild Ride 2013 - More Mountain Bike Videos

I'm an embed virgin. I hope it worked. Woohoo! it did. I'm practically a techspert. And again Boosh! another one got posted while I was doing that. Once again I claim full responsibility, even though they did all of the hard work.

10/19/2013 9:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2013 9:51 PM

So now I just watched Red Bull Megaslope. It's obviously a mega sized slope style down the whole of a back side of a mountain. On Skis. Why not build the course in the summer and have a bicycle slopstyle contest. Then come winter it's that much less snow that you have to move and pack. I had the idea years ago but never pulled it off, but Andreu could pull the engine from his FMX bike and shred the course to victory. Who knows. Any two wheels. I've said it before, but that is also my vision of speed and style. Full on DH Big Mountain with jumps. Time and style.
Post a Reply to: Whaddabout, if MTB and BMX combined?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm