4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

XC Helmets

8/8/2012 10:58 AM

It's been a long time since I last bought an XC helmet. What are people's faves, around $100?

8/8/2012 12:35 PM

Check out Specialized's new Tactic helmet. Great price. Good features. Fits nicely.

Like bikes? Hit Vital up on Facebook and Twitter.

8/8/2012 7:52 PM

Been quite pleased with my Fox Flux models for the past few years. It's nothing spectacular but the fact that I don't have any complaints is about all I could ever ask of a helmet. Well, that and save my life when I smash it.

8/9/2012 8:54 AM

Fox Flux is my current brain bucket but I have also been very pleased with the Bell Variant

8/9/2012 9:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2012 9:26 AM

I think the age old classic is this one, the Giro Xen:

That's the one I have and really like it. Although I don't think it's as burly as a Trabec, Urge or Fox.

But I see alot of the POC Trabec around these days:

8/9/2012 9:28 AM

I love my Giro Xen.

8/9/2012 10:35 AM

Big fan of my new urge lid. Doesn't breathe as good as some I have had I the past but it fits so well and the protection is unmatched in today's market.

8/9/2012 11:00 AM

I've been riding a Giro Hex that I bought from Huck N Roll. It works great and fits really nicely. I would love to upgrade to a POC trabecin the future though.

8/9/2012 11:36 AM

8/9/2012 11:37 AM

My Giro Phase works nicely

8/9/2012 2:31 PM

you should probably get the one that fits the best

i like the giro feature

8/9/2012 3:23 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

8/9/2012 7:03 PM

Had the Xen, crushed the back of it from an off on a double, now I have the Feature. I love it, lightweight, affordable, simple design, and tons of coverage.

8/9/2012 11:56 PM

Also a fan of the Fox Flux. I've taken a good header and it didn't even flench. My only knock on it would be it's TOO breathable (read - any bug flying in the general area of the helmet seems to wind up stuck to my sweaty dome). Visor is removable if you want to go all-out-rager-xc with it.

8/10/2012 9:31 AM

I really dig my POC Trabec. Nicely constructed, good fit, subtle graphics. Win.

8/10/2012 2:03 PM

Have used a trabec, xar, recon, and enduromatic and I can safely say the GIro Feature is the best fitting most comfortable best looking helmet I have used. Giro Feature FTW

Never use your face as a brake pad.
-Jake Watson

8/10/2012 6:26 PM

Anybody have any experience with this one? http://www.met-helmets.com/index.php/products/119-parachute ;

I find it intriguing...in a good way.

8/11/2012 10:34 AM

I don't see how that would help to prevent any type of injury...

If you want something like that, take a look at this Urge helmet;

http://www.urgebike.com/en/vtt/archi-enduro ;

But then after looking, you should read this;

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/armchair-sports-psychologists-coming-back-after-major-faceplant-crash-graphic-252080/

8/11/2012 10:46 PM

yo pininator, please dont ever get that helmet or think about it, i will personally never stop giving you shit for it...

i keep it real with a classic giro flak, use it for dirt jumping, trail rippin, or even some casual DH cruzin. need the ventin' for the uphill? no problem, shredding back down? throw on some goggles, bust out the lopes style. simple

two wheels, one love.

8/12/2012 1:13 PM

bturman wrote: Check out Specialized's new Tactic helmet. Great price. Good features. Fits nicely.

I'm wearing the tactic and I love it.

8/12/2012 7:53 PM

kev1n wrote: yo pininator, please dont ever get that helmet or think about it, i will personally never stop giving you shit for it...

i keep it real with a classic giro flak, use it for dirt jumping, trail rippin, or even some casual DH cruzin. need the ventin' for the uphill? no problem, shredding back down? throw on some goggles, bust out the lopes style. simple

Fair enough...I've seen a couple around town, but didn't have a chance to talk it up with the owners. I would only consider one for TRUE XC/AM riding...nothing else.

As-is, I'll stick with my Flux. I am probably going to get one of these for commuting-xc/am - http://us.uvex-sports.com/cycling/products/?=&pNavi=11&pModel=xp+cc&pColor=black+mat

10/25/2012 7:10 PM

canadmos wrote: I don't see how that would help to prevent any type of injury...

If you want something like that, take a look at this Urge helmet;

http://www.urgebike.com/en/vtt/archi-enduro ;

But then after looking, you should read this;

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/armchair-sports-psychologists-coming-back-after-major-faceplant-crash-graphic-252080/

Thats is exactly why I wear this at all times! Sucks in the heat sometimes but then I just think about those surprise 13k(or whatever) that could arise. May sound cheesy but safety first. Its most important.

http://static.26bikes.com/GetFile/13876/comp2.jpg ;

Good news is its lighter than carbon and breaths VERY well ;-)

10/31/2012 10:41 AM

k.shiz wrote: Been quite pleased with my Fox Flux models for the past few years. It's nothing spectacular but the fact that I don't have any complaints is about all I could ever ask of a helmet. Well, that and save my life when I smash it.

I'm with him. Mine has been bomb proof and very comfy. Had it for a few years now.

Mountain bike trail building and riding fanatic from Nanaimo B.C.

10/31/2012 10:45 AM

canadmos wrote: I don't see how that would help to prevent any type of injury...

If you want something like that, take a look at this Urge helmet;

http://www.urgebike.com/en/vtt/archi-enduro ;

But then after looking, you should read this;

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/armchair-sports-psychologists-coming-back-after-major-faceplant-crash-graphic-252080/

A full face for xc riding? Are you mad? I race marathon races and that would kill me. It's more a downhill/enduro downhill than a xc helmet?!

Mountain bike trail building and riding fanatic from Nanaimo B.C.

Post a Reply to: XC Helmets

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm